Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im trying to strip the paint off my gytr exhaust so I can repaint it, was wondering if anyones does this before? I was gonna try a heat gun to see if the paint comes off but its probably heat resistant since its on the muffler. So my next bet is paint stripper. Anyone do this before?

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
pics? they're not painted from the factory.

air craft stripper from your autoparts store would work. it's nasty. get a ventilator, and some latex gloves (two at a time per hand) and go to town.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
pics? they're not painted from the factory.

air craft stripper from your autoparts store would work. it's nasty. get a ventilator, and some latex gloves (two at a time per hand) and go to town.
I could take the paint off with a wire brush it would just take a while. I used a sander at low speeds and got a good amount off I just wanted to see if there was an easier way. Is there weaker paint stripped than the airplane grade stuff? I was hoping not to get cancer from the fumes for the sake of repainting my exhaust

·
Registered
213 Posts
What I did was just to sand it down pretty good with some rough paper (200 grit). You don't have to go all the way to bare metal, just make sure the new primer and paint has a good fresh surface to stick to. After you sand it down really good, clean it with a heavy duty industrial solvent, they all work pretty well. Let it dry out and go to town.

If you had a media blaster that would be the best/fastest... but like you did, sanding is 2nd best.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I did was just to sand it down pretty good with some rough paper (200 grit). You don't have to go all the way to bare metal, just make sure the new primer and paint has a good fresh surface to stick to. After you sand it down really good, clean it with a heavy duty industrial solvent, they all work pretty well. Let it dry out and go to town.

If you had a media blaster that would be the best/fastest... but like you did, sanding is 2nd best.
Now I have to get my ass to the store so I can finally get this done :sing

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah its hard to do lol... I looked at my sloppy looking exhaust for months before I finally gave up a Sunday and did it last week. Now I have to just cave in and buy a compressor and paint the whole bike.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
what exhaust are you doing (chrome/polished one)
I am powder-coating it soon, and they guy i talked to said i won't need to sand it, just clean it... doesn't sound right to me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts