Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couple of times when I rolled to a stop I was in 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in. But when I try to shift down to 1st gear or neutral, nothing happens. Same thing happens when I roll to a stop to park in 2nd gear. A friend of mine told me that sometimes you have to roll the bike with your feet while you shifting down to 1st or neutral. I tried it, and it worked. Easily down to neutral and 1st.

I got a 2004 r6. Already broken in. So can anyone explain why the hell the gear sticks like that?

·
Registered
267 Posts
ed, after you downshift to 2nd do you keep your foot on the shifter with the clutch in? the shift has a reset point that prevents you from downshifting too many gears at once. the shift lever has to travel back to its original position and then be pressed again. if anything, try giving the bike a quick upshift to third and then back down again. but once the bike has come to a complete stop, it does need to be walked to allow the trans to down shift or up shift. hope this helps
:jacked

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
rocketman said:
When this happens to me I just ease on the clutch just to the point of engaging the transmission and then downshift. Works like a charm.

Rocketman
I second that. You can actually here it kind of click into gear and then you can downshift from there into first and go.

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
I have not had that problem with my 2004. How ever I have noticed that in the morning/cold condition if I roll it a bit it does shift a little easier before it gets up to temp.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. Been gone for a few days, so I haven't been able to respond. Yeah, I let out the clutch fully, but nothing happens

My biggest problem is in a parking lot. The bike's already in 2nd gear, and I'm not even touching the clutch. Then I pull the clutch in and squeeze the breaks and come to a stop. Then I try to downshift to either 1st or neutral, but it won't happen. I try going up to 3rd and then back down, but still nothing. At this point, I hit the engine cutoff switch, pull the clutch in, and try shifting down to 1st or neutral again. But still nothing. That's when I have to roll the bike with the clutch pulled in and shift down. Then it goes down to 1st or neutral.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A dog transmission needs to be moving just slightly in order to engage gears. What is happening is the dogs are hitting each other. You roll the bike a bit and it moves the gears a bit to allow the gears to engage. This is 100% normal. The trick is to hit into first gear just before coming to a complete stop. After you are stopped you will need to let off the shifter, slip the clutch and then go for 1st. Hopefully that answers your question.

Rubber side down!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.