Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?:

Well let me start off like this: it was an amazing ride with fast upshifts, but ended up with me almost shitting my pants

I was going through the gears at high rpms and all of a sudden i got stuck in neutral...i tried to get in gear, but it sounded like it was grinding. (at this point i thought i had just ruined my new R6), i pulled it to the side, took a deep breath, and again tried to do a downshift...it wouldnt go :(...i turned it off, took another deep breath, turned it back on, and then slammed my foot down on the shifter and it finally went in gear.

I was riding with my friend (hes got a new gixxer 600) and he said he had done that once before too, he also said something about it being a feature on the bike or something...i dont know, i'm mechanically retarded

If anyone has had this problem or has any information on it i would deeply appreciate the input..it scared the shit out of me

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a good question....i know i was at a high rpm in 3rd gear maybe...i remember it redlined then went into neutral, it does sound like a safety thing and not a mechanically problem...its riding perfectly normal now

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
ive redlined my r6 and never had that problem and i dont see why it would do that, if its riding fine now and not having problems i wouldnt stress it to much there speedy, redline in third is like 140mph close to that
:cheers

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
You shouldn't be anywhere near redline while downshifting.
If you're at 15,500 rpm and you downshift, you'll be hitting your rev limiter and obviously messing up your tranny.
I can't imagine any situation where I would be that high on the revs and trying to downshift. Not even in a race.
The gears sync in between a certain RPM range and if you try to get first while going too fast it won't go. Try letting off a bit next time and see if that helps.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have inadvertantly downshifted from 3rd while at redline... and the bike WILL do it, and much crazy behavior from the rear-end and noise from the engine WILL ensue. And you WILL have to dig your underwear out of your clinched ass crack afterwards.

As far as your problem... when I have had problems with false neutrals while downshifting I would be able to upshift, let the clutch out, and then do my downshift again... never really had any more problem than that, and the initial problem was that I wasn't shifting with enough force.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, i dont think i redlined it...it was probably just the nerves and the adrenaline: it was the biggest scare of my life though.

i think everythings okay, i must have just screwed up some shifting some where

thats what i get for trying to catch up to my friend really quick: i'll be sure to keep my head on straight from now on :stupic

·
Registered
953 Posts
R6reddevil said:
thats a good question....i know i was at a high rpm in 3rd gear maybe...i remember it redlined then went into neutral, it does sound like a safety thing and not a mechanically problem...its riding perfectly normal now
holy **** man!

after you upshift out of 1st never try to go back in until your going really slow. you can't down shift to first to rip back on the throttle at high rpms. the rotation difference between 2 and 1 are huge.

and yeah... no downshifts at redline no matter what gear... downshift while breaking, you can get away with engine breaking but it's bad practice.

i did something similar before. rolling from one light to another i went up to 50 and popped it into N to glide to the next light. but it turned green at 40mph. it was a big crunch going into second. japs make good bikes though, they can handle it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had that happen once, and that cringing sound you hear of it grinding into gear isn't good, but once in a great while isn't too bad. If you half-heartedly shift it, sometimes it will go into this 'magic place' in-between two gears. When you try to shift it into a gear from there, the other gears are moving way too fast for them to go together, and that is the butt clenching sound you hear. When you turned your bike off, it made all the internals in your transmission stop spinning, and then you could shift it from the magic place into a gear.
You did the right thing by pulling over, and turning the bike off. It RARELLY happens, but if it happens again, pull in the clutch and coast to a stop, and do what you did to correct it. If it keeps happening, something is wrong.
Oh yeah, this is NOT a feature on your bike.

·
At least it looks fast.
389 Posts
yeah, i just ran a wheelie for a bout a block in first....got the rpm's pretty high, probley 14????? then the front tire came down, i pulled in the clutch, and tried shifting to second (up-shift) I hear that nasty grinding sound........i couldn't shift normal until i coasted to stop.....uggggggg

·
Registered
59 Posts
For some reason i do believe that its a safty feature for the bike. if im in 2nd and going ahigh rate of speed i have to shift hard to get it to 1st i dont beleive that the bike is ment for a down shift to 1st at 45-50 mph if you look in the owners manual 1st gear shifting is at 12.5 mph i dont know who the hell does that but thats what it says maybe the same for downshifting any thoughts PEOPLE????? :?:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts