Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
YAMMY4LIFE
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanna see how many people know about this ridiculous new law they passed in Ontario this year....If you are caught going 50km'h over posted speed limit, any kind of street racing, any kind of wheelies or anything they deem stuntriding or any kind of reckless driving, car or bike, they charge you with Stunting and it is a minimum $2000 fine, 7 day licence suspension, 7 day vehicle seizure and good f*%kin luck trying to get insurance after.....The cops have been going crazy with this and every time I go for a ride this is in my mind....Drives me bleepin nuts... Alot of the roads I ride on are posted at only 80km'h, beautiful roads, but going just 130 and I would be screwed.....I think 80 is somewhere around 45mph.....pretty slow... AAARRRGGGGHHH...

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
sucks bro.

·
Registered
932 Posts
sucks, but it's a law and laws are their to protect you and others. I really wish there where "stunting laws" around here.

·
my ninja 250r eats me
238 Posts
It won't make you feel better but here's the law as its written:

Highway Traffic Act
Code de la route

ONTARIO REGULATION 455/07

RACES, CONTESTS AND STUNTS

Consolidation Period: From September 30, 2007 to the e-Laws currency date.

No amendments.

This Regulation is made in English only.

Report to Registrar

1. (1) A police officer who requests, under clause 172 (5) (a) of the Act, that a person surrender his or her driver’s licence shall, before providing the person with the notice of suspension required by subsection 172 (10) of the Act, report the request and the following information to the Registrar:

1. The driver’s name.

2. If known, the driver’s address, date of birth and driver’s licence number.

3. The date and time of the request.

4. The location at which the alleged offence under subsection 172 (1) of the Act took place. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 1 (1).

(2) The report under subsection (1) shall be made by any form of telecommunication. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 1 (2).

(3) A police officer who has made a report under subsection (1) shall, as soon as practical after making the report, complete a form provided by the Registrar for that purpose and forward the completed form to the Registrar. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 1 (3).

Definition, “race” and “contest”

2. (1) For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “race” and “contest” include any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:

1. Driving two or more motor vehicles at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed and in a manner that indicates the drivers of the motor vehicles are engaged in a competition.

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to chase another motor vehicle.

3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed,

ii. outdistancing or attempting to outdistance one or more other motor vehicles while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed, or

iii. repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (1).

(2) In this section,

“marked departure from the lawful rate of speed” means a rate of speed that may limit the ability of a driver of a motor vehicle to prudently adjust to changing circumstances on the highway. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (2).

Definition, “stunt”

3. For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “stunt” includes any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:

1. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway, including driving a motorcycle with only one wheel in contact with the ground, but not including the use of lift axles on commercial motor vehicles.

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.

3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it.

4. Driving two or more motor vehicles side by side or in proximity to each other, where one of the motor vehicles occupies a lane of traffic or other portion of the highway intended for use by oncoming traffic for a period of time that is longer than is reasonably required to pass another motor vehicle.

5. Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle.

6. Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver’s seat.

7. Driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is 50 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit.

8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing,

ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver’s sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,

iii. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to drive, without justification, as close as possible to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object on or near the highway, or

iv. making a left turn where,

(A) the driver is stopped at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal system in response to a circular red indication;

(B) at least one vehicle facing the opposite direction is similarly stopped in response to a circular red indication; and

(C) the driver executes the left turn immediately before or after the system shows only a circular green indication in both directions and in a manner that indicates an intention to complete or attempt to complete the left turn before the vehicle facing the opposite direction is able to proceed straight through the intersection in response to the circular green indication facing that vehicle. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 3.

Exceptions

4. (1) Despite section 2, “race” and “contest” do not include,

(a) a rally, navigational rally or similar event that is conducted,

(i) under the supervision of the Canadian Association of Rally Sport,

(ii) under the supervision of a club or association approved in writing by the Ministry, or

(iii) with the written approval of the road authority or road authorities having jurisdiction over the highway or highways used;

(b) motor vehicle owners engaged in a tour, scenic drive, treasure hunt or other similar motoring event in which the participants drive responsibly and in a manner that indicates an overall intention to comply with the provisions of the Act; or

(c) an event held on a closed course with the written approval of the road authority having jurisdiction over the highway, including any event lawfully using any of the trademarks “CART”, “Formula One”, “Indy”, “IndyCar”, “IRL” or “NASCAR”. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 4 (1).

(2) Despite sections 2 and 3, “race”, “contest” and “stunt” do not include any activity required for the lawful operation of motor vehicles described in subsections 62 (15.1) or 128 (13) of the Act, or the lawful operation of an emergency vehicle as defined in subsection 144 (1) of the Act. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 4 (2).

5. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 455/07, s. 5.

and you'd better believe that the opp are serious about this with bikes.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Wow, sounds VERY similar to the "sportbike" law that just got passed in FL, but a bit MORE fair.
The law that was passed in FL, is...
316.1926 Motorcycle offenses.--

(1) When a law enforcement officer charges a person with
reckless driving in violation of s. 316.192 or exceeding the speed limit by 30 miles per hour or more in violation of s. 316.183(2), s. 316.187, or s. 316.189 while operating or in actual physical control of a motorcycle, the officer shall arrest the person, take him or her into custody, and seize the motorcycle, which shall be subject to forfeiture under the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act.
(2) Upon conviction, in addition to any other penalty provided by law, the court shall revoke the person's
authorization and privilege to operate a motorcycle for a period of 10 years and order the person to surrender his or herdriver's license.
(a) If the person holds a Class A, Class B, or Class C
driver's license, the department shall issue a replacement
license, valid for the remainder of the person's unexpired
license period, without the endorsement to operate a motorcycle.
(b) If the person holds a Class E driver's license that is not restricted to motorcycle operation only, the department shall issue a replacement license, valid for the remainder of the person's unexpired license period, without the authorization to operate a motorcycle.
(3) Revocation of the privilege to operate a motorcycle under this section shall not prohibit or restrict the issuance or renewal of a driver's license for purposes other than the operation of a motorcycle.
Section 2. This act shall take effect October 1, 2008.

But the FL law is ONLY aimed at MOTORCYCLES. It has NO bearing on Cars/trucks.

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
Dont see a reason to stop with that type of fine... That is crazy...

Time to get a faster bike to make sure they dont catch me...

·
Registered
803 Posts
"5. Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle.

6. Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver’s seat. "

What the hell? think i am safe from that law.

·
my ninja 250r eats me
238 Posts

thats clearly the smart thing to do...its much easier and safer than just obeying the law...

now find a way to tie this law back to president bush and complete your contribution...

·
Registered
932 Posts
"5. Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle.
lol yea about that... long story but my friend ended up in the trunk haha.

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts

I hear that's what Florida folks are doing. Iv seen lots of videos of people running from the cops in cars but not bikes. That would just be crazy

·
Redline.......White Light
751 Posts
I remember a time when the governemnt use to do stuff like this. They also made people wear these nice little badges too........ Then gassed them..... But what can i say. Go a little z rab on you now. Government is worried about me having some fun on the twisties while gas prices are at 90$ a gallon and my house is worth the same as a cardboard box. WOW!

·
Yamaha Man
178 Posts
I'm all for laws like these. Maybe my insurance will finally go down without dumb punks ruining it for everybody. Keep running from the cops, natural selection will kick in sooner or later.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm all for laws like these. Maybe my insurance will finally go down without dumb punks ruining it for everybody. Keep running from the cops, natural selection will kick in sooner or later.

Umm Y would u stop if you are already going to jail, loosing your bike, and can't ride another bike for 10 years.. Fu(k that there is no way I would stop.

·
Yamaha Man
178 Posts
Umm Y would u stop if you are already going to jail, loosing your bike, and can't ride another bike for 10 years.. Fu(k that there is no way I would stop.
How about doing the speed limit and take racing to the track. Keep running, it will catch up to you. Let me guess, you probably ride in shorts and a t-shirt, too?

·
Registered
212 Posts
How about doing the speed limit and take racing to the track. Keep running, it will catch up to you. Let me guess, you probably ride in shorts and a t-shirt, too?

No I don't ride in shorts and a T-Shirt, I wear Jean's Jacket helmet Gloves and some times knee braces< If I am headed to the stunt spot! But there is no way I would stop If I already knew I would go to jail and LOOSE MY BIKE FOR GOOD.. and Not beable to ride for 10 years.. This law is gonna hurt more than anything It is only good for dick cops and the state.. Most people feel the same way I do and are not going to stop when this law comes out it's not gonna help. Do you honestly think this is going to stop people from speeding? It's only gonna make more people that would normally pull over run!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow, sounds VERY similar to the "sportbike" law that just got passed in FL, but a bit MORE fair.
[...]
But the FL law is ONLY aimed at MOTORCYCLES. It has NO bearing on Cars/trucks.
This is exactly why I hate living in Florida even more now. On those stretches of I-95 when there's no other cars around, I'm doing over 100. I know, not the smartest, but I know I'm not the only one to do it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts