Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago coming home from work I noticed a slight sputter as I rounded a corner about 15 mph in second gear. Didn't think anything of it, as I was getting low on fuel. Well this morning as I was again riding to work the sputter happened any time I let the RPM fall below 3000. It wouldn't hold an idle at all. The needle dropped anywhere between 0 and 1200 RPM. The motor even stalled twice at a light. On the way home from work I kept the RPM's above 2000 at all stop lights. Once I pull away from a stop the bike will hesitate, up until I hit 3000 rpm then all is fine and the bike pulls away like it should. I found out out how to get to the trouble codes and I had 2, #30(the motorcycle has overturned) and #46(Power supply to the FI system relay is not normal). I don't have a good meter here at home so I just did a visual on the wires that the manual says to check. All looked ok. So I cleared the codes and fired it back up. Right away I can tell the idle was erratic, and this was just verified on a little test ride. The bike is still acting the same way. I didn't check to see if it popped the code again but it doesn't matter. Anyone else have anything happen like this? Please help!!!

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
My guess is it is an electrical problem. Anything from plugs, plug cables, coils, and so on can be the issue. It's really hard to say without seeing the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you take it in to the repair shop or just start throwing parts at it? Starting with the most obvious first. I also have a Power Commander on board and was tinkering with the idea of removing it, just for giggles. I forgot to mention that earlier. Thanks for the help

·
My R6.....
176 Posts
It's the ignition coils. I'd bet my life on it. My 03 did exactly the same thing. Anything under 3000 and it would spit and stutter but get it over 3000 and it would go like normal.
Ok - take the tank off, air filter, pull the black heat cover off and pull the ignition coils off the plugs. You will find pitting on one or more of the coils. Don't worry if you don't know what to look for because you will know it when you see it.
It's relatively easy to do this procedure, i know, because I did it about 3 times. Once to check that was the problem but i didn't have the new coil to replace the damaged ones. Second time was to put the new one in, third time was to put a second one in that I should have done when I did the first :dunce:.
I am not a mechanic and only have a very basic set of tools and managed to do it. PM me if you have any questions and i can send you a really handy PDF on how to get to the plugs. This helped me a lot.

Cheers

·
Registered
110 Posts
Two days ago coming home from work I noticed a slight sputter as I rounded a corner about 15 mph in second gear. Didn't think anything of it, as I was getting low on fuel. Well this morning as I was again riding to work the sputter happened any time I let the RPM fall below 3000. It wouldn't hold an idle at all. The needle dropped anywhere between 0 and 1200 RPM. The motor even stalled twice at a light. On the way home from work I kept the RPM's above 2000 at all stop lights. Once I pull away from a stop the bike will hesitate, up until I hit 3000 rpm then all is fine and the bike pulls away like it should. I found out out how to get to the trouble codes and I had 2, #30(the motorcycle has overturned) and #46(Power supply to the FI system relay is not normal). I don't have a good meter here at home so I just did a visual on the wires that the manual says to check. All looked ok. So I cleared the codes and fired it back up. Right away I can tell the idle was erratic, and this was just verified on a little test ride. The bike is still acting the same way. I didn't check to see if it popped the code again but it doesn't matter. Anyone else have anything happen like this? Please help!!!
I too have that code. #46 could be a dead battery that you had before. My issue is biking is starting to have that issue. Noticed it Yesterday and I was at a stop with my clutch pulled in. The Idle started to drop and I gave here gas for like 1-2min and he was fine....it a little wierd also how my idle is kinda flakey.

·
My R6.....
176 Posts
PM sent. Forgot to mention that when you remove the heat shield, there are to little plug screws that can be pried up by using a small flat head screw driver. You will probably need a flashlight to see them.

Cheers

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
I just had mine fixed for the same reason. I have a 07 R6s. Yamaha gave me back $40 for parts even though my bike is over a year old. I was told because it is a common problem with the spark plug heads and coils.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I ran up to the local Yamaha dealer this afternoon, and found my bike was in need of two service bulletins. One for a locknut on the countershaft and the other for..."engine misfire under acceleration". So tomorrow morning I'm going to go get the coils replaced. I really hope this takes care of it. I'm sure it will, I will definiteley let you guys know, thank you for all your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts