Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have suggestions for getting the bike's tire off the ground without damaging the bike, and on a low budget?

I need to raise the bike back up but I don't have a front stand (such as a triple tree stand), nothing to strap the bike up in the air.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Raise the bike up how? Front or rear? If its front, there are a few ghetto things you can try. You can hook tiedowns under the clipons or upper triple and suspend it from an expose beam/rafter. You can also use a tiedown from the side of your truck to your clip on to keep it almost straight up and down, then you and a friend can loosen the fork pinch bolts just enough and move the forks down a little at a time till they are really close by lifting the bike and twisting the fork tube, then tighten one just enough to hold the bike up, set the other one, and tighten it. Then just go adjust and tighten the first one... For the rear, throw a towel over the rear tire to keep from scratching the undertail and just have a friend lift the bike as you fcuk with the dog bones. If you are a man, you can do it alone holding/lifting the tail with your shoulder as you mess with the dogbones.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Ratchet straps anchored onto the rafters in your garage then connected to front part of the frame on your bike.

·
Ride all day and night!!
68 Posts
Definitely the clip-on method with some good straps from the beam in your garage :D Tried it and works like a charm :nocontrol

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
lmao, this is so hood. We need ATG in here :sing
Hey, some people do what they gotta do to ride.... why question commitment?:laugh

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
haha, I only have a rear stand so I actually will probably end up using this method too...
You can get a front pin stand for pretty cheap these days.... Think of it this way, if you buy a soda every day, its probably close to $2. Call it $60 a month. Give up one soda a day for a couple months and you will be able to buy a front stand. Just put the money in a jar instead...

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Front and rear of the bike, Front is lowered 3 inches and so is the rear. When I get the triple tree loose do I just slide the forks down? I don't have to mess with the top of the forks or anything? (I see that the top of the fork has indentations for H and arrows or something I'm guessing is for suspension setup)

Sorry I'm not real knowledgeable on mechanic stuff but whats a garage beam? Is it the metal part that the garage door slides onto and has the motor to bring the door up and down?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
you dont have to mess with the top of the forks, just the pinch bolts in the triples that hold the fork position, 4 per side (2 upper, 2 lower) I think. Just loosen them enough to where you can move the fork in the triples. I usually loosen three of them, and use the easiest one to reach as a temporary stay. Basically, loosen, adjust, tighen that bolt. One should hold the position enough for you to assess. Once you have the desired setting, tighten the rest. Dont overtighten or undertighten. If you have any question, use a torque wrench.

You should be able to either move the whole forkset at once if the front wheel is off the ground, or move one fork a little at a time in alternates if you cant get the wheel off the ground, but it will take a while and probably requires two people.

·
Ride all day and night!!
68 Posts
Buy the power econo stands :D 100 bucks shipped for both rear and front:sing

They do the job :secret

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Buy the power econo stands :D 100 bucks shipped for both rear and front:sing

They do the job :secret
Thats what I was getting at earlier.... You just have to be extra careful with those cheap pieces of chinese made shit...:laugh

·
Ride all day and night!!
68 Posts
Everything is made in china nowadays haha except my bike :lmao

But they didn't fail me yet :nocontrol

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Everything is made in china nowadays haha except my bike :lmao

But they didn't fail me yet :nocontrol
Yeah, but you worry that they will...:fact I NEVER worry about my stands... which is nice when your bike has flawless stock fairings or expensive race glass...:fact

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I stuck a car battery under my headers when I replaced my clipons. works great for a short period of time.. not sure if it would damage anything if it's left like that over night
:lmao THIS sounds like a great suggestion. Doesn't cost anything either since I have some tools and thousands of cars around to borrow a battery(s) for a few minutes.

But how did you get it underneath the bike? Lift the bike up and on to it? Also how about balancing it?

I thought about using one of those emergency car jacks as well on a piece of wood on the cat/headers but I don't know how to really balance it. No one around to really help me either.

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,760 Posts
:lmao THIS sounds like a great suggestion. Doesn't cost anything either since I have some tools and thousands of cars around to borrow a battery(s) for a few minutes.

But how did you get it underneath the bike? Lift the bike up and on to it? Also how about balancing it?

I thought about using one of those emergency car jacks as well on a piece of wood on the cat/headers but I don't know how to really balance it. No one around to really help me either.
If you have a rear stand it's already balanced, plus the battery is wide enough that the 2 middle headers sit flush. It was stable when I did it.

oh, and I had a front stand to lift the bike up, but you could either jack it up or have a couple friends lift it up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts