Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Iceman Cometh...
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had my rear tire changed out and was told I need new brakes. I'll likely change out the front ones too. Any suggestions on which brakes I should buy? I'll be installing these myself. Don't think it'll be that difficult... Thanks again...

Richie

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
I hear Vesrah are top notch brakes. Ill probably go with them once mine get low. Look around though, there's still plenty of other good brakes out their for a cheaper price

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
wait, you need new pads on the REAR?! man, more front, and less rear. and when you replace them, the vesrah RJL pads are great for street/track.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
wait, you need new pads on the REAR?! man, more front, and less rear. and when you replace them, the vesrah RJL pads are great for street/track.
Yeah seriously, something is up if you wore your rear pads out first. Dragging the brake maybe?

+1 on Vesrah suggestion. Good stuff, although I prefer Galfer ... more for the money and you can pick them up at your local shop like Cycle Gear (plus, they're a sponsor and they flat-out rock as a company)

Very easy to swap if you take your time and get everything clean, oil-free and scuff the rotors.

-D

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i just changed pads recently, when checked i also had nothing left on the rear and the front was 3/4th used, they were the stock pads from 2003.

I put in EBC HH pads i found on ebay for a steal, could not be any happier.
But if you want top notch and price is nothing then the vesrahs are golden, i only hear GREAT things about them.

·
The Iceman Cometh...
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LMAO!!! You guys are funny as hell! So I guess using the rear brake is not up to par with many of you...funny thing is, I do use mostly the front brakes. When I 1st got this bike over 2 years ago, I used front brakes almost exclusively! As time went by, I started trying to use them both equally. I'd think it's the safest way to brake. Thanks for the input guys. I'll start checking out prices and the brakes mentioned and which ever is most cost effective for me will be the winner. By the way, what's the best way to scuff the rotors and why is this necessary? Yes, i'm a newbie at this! LOL

Richie

·
Registered
421 Posts
Looking at buying some new pads too. I've heard Carbone Lorraine are just as good if not better than Vesrah and they are cheaper too.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
LMAO!!! You guys are funny as hell! So I guess using the rear brake is not up to par with many of you...funny thing is, I do use mostly the front brakes. When I 1st got this bike over 2 years ago, I used front brakes almost exclusively! As time went by, I started trying to use them both equally. I'd think it's the safest way to brake. Thanks for the input guys. I'll start checking out prices and the brakes mentioned and which ever is most cost effective for me will be the winner. By the way, what's the best way to scuff the rotors and why is this necessary? Yes, i'm a newbie at this! LOL

Richie
Im not sure about the Rotar question, but I'd like to know too, since I might be changing my own pads when the time comes.
As for the rear brake, I couldn't ride off that without using the front break as well. My rear tire would start clicking if I semi got on the brakes hard

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
I'd think it's the safest way to brake.
you'd think wrong, then. at least when it comes to a sport bike. once you start applying the brakes hard, all the weight is transferred to the front and the rear tire just sorta skips along the ground. all you would do at this point by hitting the rear brake is skid the tire.

cruisers are a little different. they're heavy and slow. use both brakes on them...

s3aturnr

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
1. The rear brake on the 1st gen doesn't lock up like everyone makes it out to.
2. My rear brake pads wore out just before my fronts. I brake 95% of the time with the front brake.
3. Richie, Stock pads are VERY good. They are good for like 20k miles or so (street riding). They heat up quick too. If they are cheaper, I'd stick with them.
4. I'd suggest braided lines before aftermarket pads. The combination of the two may be too much initial bite. Especially on a commuter like you have.
5. Scuffing the rotors makes the pads set in nicer and prevent premature wear of both the rotor and pads. It's almost like having the rotors turned. I've seen a handful of posts where people mention a 3m product, or reconditioning kit you can pick up. I guess there's pad of the green stuff on a thing that goes into a drill or something. It's just best practice to do this. I may or may not do it when I replace my pads over this winter.

·
Registered
277 Posts
^Anything you can scuff the rotor with by hand? I've never come across scuffing rotors before.

I run Ferodo ST pads front and back and they totally own the stock pads in dry as well as wet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts