Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
We will be heading up from Florida, leading the team challenge lt wt class. Will be on a sweet Ducati with carbon fiber bodywork. #49
Never been to this track before.. any words of wisdom ??

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
We will be heading up from Florida, leading the team challenge lt wt class. Will be on a sweet Ducati with carbon fiber bodywork. #49
Never been to this track before.. any words of wisdom ??

Turns 5-7 get SLICK AS SHIT the moment rain gets on them. Turn 10 (The last corner) is the most important turn on track. I know you won't have a problem, but you should be doing at least 100 going through there. It is a fast, fast corner. You shouldn't start braking for turn 10 until you're at least under the underpass. The line you'd want to take going into turn 3, the first left hander, has a ton of ripples right at the apex. It's the bumpiest corner on the track. Either get used to the bike dancing around you, or alter your line a tad and avoid the biggest bumps. There is no avoiding the bumps completely.

If it rains, there will be a small river that flows through turn 9. Remember that. Turns 5-9 also have a ton of patches and tar snakes. I would strongly recommend a track walk and take note of everything.

$30 for power (30amp), but you get $10 back if you return the lock AND key to the gate guard after the weekend is over.

Save some money for the cart track, and go race carts at the end of the day. It's a blast.

·
Registered
484 Posts
hoping for no rain.. that would be a bonus. thanks for the info. gonna find some vids and start learning the track a bit.
You seemed to learn Road America pretty damn quick! I tried keeping up on the track day to learn a few things but I couldn't keep a pace on you worth a damn. You'd just brush an elbow and vanish. And great racing on the 5th during team challenge. Wish I could have said hi and thanks again for the pointers on the Michelin's but didn't find your pit. Helped out greatly with knowing my comfort zone on them. Best of luck at Summit Point!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
You seemed to learn Road America pretty damn quick! I tried keeping up on the track day to learn a few things but I couldn't keep a pace on you worth a damn. You'd just brush an elbow and vanish. And great racing on the 5th during team challenge. Wish I could have said hi and thanks again for the pointers on the Michelin's but didn't find your pit. Helped out greatly with knowing my comfort zone on them. Best of luck at Summit Point!
watching vid helps for sure.. i think on the lightweight bike (but a fast lt wt bike) i was very close to my race times in about 2 sessions. Key is just using the brake markers, and looking for turn in points. once ya have a few of those down, you just work on pace.
Still never go the carousel thing at NJMP just right.. LOL.. even after a couple days.
The number on the bike will be #49, and the small trailer the bike owner uses for transport is about 14' long, white, and has "Living the Dream" on the side. Ya know what my leathers look like, so please look us up. Good things to come from Michelin very soon.. the NEW power Cup is due out for next season. ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
watching vid helps for sure.. i think on the lightweight bike (but a fast lt wt bike) i was very close to my race times in about 2 sessions. Key is just using the brake markers, and looking for turn in points. once ya have a few of those down, you just work on pace.
Still never go the carousel thing at NJMP just right.. LOL.. even after a couple days.
The number on the bike will be #49, and the small trailer the bike owner uses for transport is about 14' long, white, and has "Living the Dream" on the side. Ya know what my leathers look like, so please look us up. Good things to come from Michelin very soon.. the NEW power Cup is due out for next season. ;)
Yeah my problem was braking; I crashed the last weekend before RA from being too "ambitious" with my braking point so I was holding it back a bit. I'm definitely fond of the tires though, helped rebuild my confidence quickly and I was happy with consistent 2:39's at the end of the day. Thanks again for the info, definitely keeping with the Cups from now on and will be sure to follow your team's progress!

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a rundown of Summit from my point of view on the R6. Summit is one of the easier tracks to learn and the lap times are pretty quick. It has a nice long straight and it feels less tiring to ride than other tracks. Turn 1 is a slow right hander that opens up into turn 2, which is really more of a kink. It just feels like one big corner. Out of 1, once your settled and driving out, it's wide open throttle until you brake for 3. Turn 3 is an uphill left and the exit point is blind when your head is only a couple of feet from the ground. It is also bumpy so expect the bike to be moving around. As you crest towards the exit point there will be gravel right off of the curbing. I've run though this straight up and down slightly wide without letting off before, so it's not much of an issue as the way it kind of kinks will put you back on track. Then you start heading downhill towards the chute, turn 4. This is a fast right hander that is downhill and the camber doesn't really work for you. I've lost the front here as an amateur from overloading the front tire, off throttle, when I missed my turn in point. I tend to avoid this by braking slightly to set up for the corner then driving though it on the gas. That helps me get some passes done into turn 5, which is a hard braking zone. Don't worry about setting up 5 wide, because it leaves the door open. It's better to be defensive here if you're battling, because there is no time to be made here anyway. Out of turn 5 it's a quick squirt of gas, but the key here is to setup turn 6 into the carousel, rather than to carry the line wide. You can push hard into 6 trailing the brakes because 6 and 7 are like one big corner with two apexes. If you're battling here try not to swing it out too wide through the carousel, as this is another spot you can leave the door open. I also short shift through this section to avoid shifting through the transitions from 7-9. Once you apex 7 you're shifting bodyweight over to turn left through 8, then back over to the right for 9. I exit turn 8 focusing on setting up a good turn 9, which is followed by a short straight up to turn 10. There is kind of a dip through turn 9 where it feels like the suspension bottoms. On the run up into turn 10 wait until the bridge to start braking. Once you get some practice in you'll figure out where you wanna be there. Turn 10 is a fast turn as well that will carry speed onto the front straight. Obviously here you wanna be on the gas as early as you can! Hope this helps, although looking at it, it seems overkill LOL!;)

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anytime! Hope to catch up with you there! My goal for the weekend is to beat everyone who is not a teenager or named Mark Miller Jr, lol!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Anytime! Hope to catch up with you there! My goal for the weekend is to beat everyone who is not a teenager or named Mark Miller Jr, lol!
common theme in the 600cc classes.. :)

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
here's some onboard (rear facing camera) from the team challenge at Summit point (start, and first 10min or so). we are in the lt wt class on an air cooled ducati. It's light weight legal, but it's not slow .. :) Having 5th gear issues, i'm really not that much of a noob when it comes to shifting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S69IMwIns38&list=UUR12zj_0l-FCiyKlBCsUiyw

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That bike is def not slow! And as for the shifting, your record speaks for itself. We all know it was the bike ;)

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as my weekend goes, it was fun and I performed well enough that I'm happy. I came away with a 6th and 7th place, while running out of gas on the last lap while battling for another 7th. I beat my best lap time on a green track, with a 1:17.2, which is a good ways off the real fast guys! It's time to part out the old 06 with a completely stock motor and pick up an 08/09. In the Supersport race the guy to my left and right both got taken by me off the line, but by the time I clicked 3rd they were already a bike length ahead! Some of those guys are running some fast equipment!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Saw you guys out there. Sorry about the bike. Is that 916 styled fairings?
not sure on the fairings. it's all carbon fiber though.. yes. It's pretty darn fast :)
I agree about the track surface. the outside of turn one was downright nasty. We were there friday for the track day, and the guys putting out airfence dragged mud all over from turn 5 to pit in. horrible. worse than riding in the rain on slicks..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts