Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyones thoughts on these helmets? Do they make a good product? Ive looked through a couple of threads talking about the better helmets available, and there is no mention of this company.

I was thinking about getting this one:

Suomy Spec 1R Guareschi

thanks for any input. :cheers

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
SUOMY is a top ranked helment maker.

Probably the reason that not many people have them is because they are $, kinda like shoei and aira (sp?) and possibly because there are not many sellers around. From what I can tell.

·
Registered
124 Posts
they are kick ass lids! Very light weight I'd even say almost better than shoei/arai (I currently have a shoei) They are more marketed towards racers so that's a reason they aren't well known but you won't be disappointed with it.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I say either get a Shoei or Arai. In my opinion those are the best brands. I hear Suomy is pretty good, but I find it hard to trust anyone else except for the two I have mentioned previously, I have a Shoei RF-1000 voltage myself. I could have got any helmet I wanted and I chose Shoei.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I noticed they are only a little over 2lbs., and the styling fit the Red 05 very well.

Im a :nOOb to all this stuff, so unfortunately Im going by only looks at this point :wave

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Suomy. In my opinion, it's the best helmet out. It's really light and fits so good. They seem to fit better on people with rounder heads as opposed to people with egg-shaped heads. Also, no matter how hard I try, I cannot fog the shield. I give it "2 thumbs up". :jester

·
Registered
437 Posts
kinda chilly

only thing i don't like about my spec1r is that theres no way of closing the top vent

the spec1r has very good ventalation

just kinda chilly on a cold day on the streets but perfect on the track

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
IMHO Suomy is THE best helmet on the market....as far as fit and comfort this helmet makes all the rest pale in comparison....remember though that this is only my opinion....go to a dealer and TRY them on.....try as many as you can on....i tried them all on and to me, the suomy felt the best......but like stunt girl said they're marketed towards a more racer driven population.....but you will not be disappointed with one....

·
Registered
392 Posts
I got one...mine is custom painted to match the '03 R6 limited edition...I love the way it fits, doesn't fog up or anything like that, regarding the replacement face shields...I had a hard time at first...but if you do go with SUOMY...here's a link to get the face shields

http://www.imotorcyclestore.com/cgi...ap6383+_DCatNum_02S02SUOSPE_01PageType_02L_01

keep an eye out for my post...cause i'm goin to submit all of my pictures all together once I get everything installed

·
Registered
392 Posts
yea well finally...after alot of talkin I finally took a bunch of pictures today...so here's the helmet

it was painted to match my gf's old R6 (see "post '05 raven pics" in appearance section)
the only complaint that I have is no closing of top vent...it gets pretty cold sometimes..but other than that damn good ventilation, no foggin either...it's bout 2 years old, but still fits me like a virgin when I put it on...nice and firm...I also have a Arai quantum, but that's a tighter fit which i didn't like so much...it started to cut off circulation to my head...IMO I think the Suomy Spec 1R is damn well worth the money...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Suomy is a sweet lid. I have owned Shoei (great lid too), HJC (good lid for the price), Nitro and now just bought a suomy (caprirosi replica spec-1r) and i absolutely love it. It has a liner in it that kind of looks like a balaclava that is removable and washable plus it just seems to fit my head like a glove. As far as weight I think it is about the same as a Shoei RF1000. But they are pricey. The spec-1r lid will run aywhere from $550-$600 for one where the shoei rf1000 runs anywhere from $350-$600 depending on the graphics and such. So, if you have the money, get it or better yet like some said before try a bunch of helmets on and pick the one that fits your head the best. Here is a few pics of my helmet. Oh by the way, I picked mine up for $350 new... I have a friend that owns a shop..

·
Registered
166 Posts
They are nice....I was all set to get a spec 1R until I tried them on....they did not fit my head right so I went with the Arai RX-7. I love it now

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey good for you... you did the right thing.. trying them on and picking the one that fits your head the best is the way to go. I was just lucky that the suomy fit right, but since I got it from my friend's shop, I could have sent it back no probs and got another one. I just didn't see why I should have paid $400 for the Shoei and then spend more money on new cheek pads to make it fit right. But I hear tha Arai makes a sweet helmet too. I am eyeing one now but it would be for my wife and she likes the Suomy hawaiian flower one, so I might just get that one for her....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts