Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I love my mistress 2 (R6)
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it was not the only contributing factor but it helped. My Q is: when I check my zipstrip on my front end I am bottoming out. Is there a simple adjustment or do I need to hook up with a pro to help with this. I am headed to CMP next weekend and I hope I can fix this problem beforehand. Thanks in advance for any advise.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Ok it was not the only contributing factor but it helped. My Q is: when I check my zipstrip on my front end I am bottoming out. Is there a simple adjustment or do I need to hook up with a pro to help with this. I am headed to CMP next weekend and I hope I can fix this problem beforehand. Thanks in advance for any advise.
Your bottoming out? Wow. I would have a pro help you dial in your suspension correctly. For some reason I dont think your suspension had a lot to do with your lowside.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Suspension is a very important factor on a bike. I don't know a WHOLE lot about suspension, so I would also take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
Your front forks should almost bottom out. You want to be able to use the entire compression of the forks. You should not touch your setup, have a pro do your suspension. They do it quick, cheap, and right.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Completed my first track day last April at CMP and will return next week for another round. I did go down at the end of my first day and I am glad (NOW) that I got that first lowside out of the way. This pic is from day 2 (Post Crash).

I would say this kind of body positioning caused your lowside.

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea thanks alot CJR but you dont have to post your opinion to every thread. Yea, I figured a pro would be better suited to help me with this and maybe your right, it may be set correctly. I will take the advice and leave it be. Oh and CJR please post some pics of yourself so that I can see what proper position looks like.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
I can't see your body position in the picture because I'm dod blocked and can only see pics if they are attachements.

He may be correct though. Try not to take peoples comments too personally. Most of us mean well, and only want to help. Try to hook me up with an attached photo.

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel you ASDF, I am not sure how to get ya my pic but I am not "SENSITIVE" I just get a little annoyed at people who like to post opinions but do not offer any advice on how to fix the problem. But Paytheon always comes through. BUMP for Paytheon :nocontrol

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have an 06 and think the 07 is the same so here.

A guy that owns a shop in fl gave me a base setup that he uses. I tried it on mine and fell in love with my bike all over again. Nimble, flickable and easy to put where you want it.

You HAVE to set the sag for your weight witch is easy enough to do. But after that try this set up.
all settings are from full tight then back out.

frt
hs 2 turns
ls 4 clicks
rb 3 click (When tighting as soon as it gets tight stop! it will go farther but you could damage the needle and seat if forced)

rear
hs 8 clicks
ls 3 clicks
rb 14 clicks
this will put your shock in the middle of its range on everything.

When your tuning the rear shock move the hs and ls screws the same. Ex: if you want two clicks softer then do it to both hs and ls. The rear shock is not sensative so dont worry about big adjustments here.

It is a bit stiff on the street but it will soak up the bumps with out upsetting the bike. I have hit some bumps at speed that I would think would toss me off the bike but, not a problem.

Im only 165lb so I had to take a click or two out of the rear hs and ls and 2 clicks out of the frt low speed to be perfectly balanced between street and canyon style riding.

Hope this heps.
DK

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
I dont have a track around here and havnt been to one but thats just my opinion, which could definitely be wrong. To me it looks like you're a little high on the bike for the turn...

Rossi's lean

That is kind of what im used to lookin at...but yeah, it just seems the center of gravity for you would be a little high...

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
I have an 06 and think the 07 is the same so here.

A guy that owns a shop in fl gave me a base setup that he uses. I tried it on mine and fell in love with my bike all over again. Nimble, flickable and easy to put where you want it.

You HAVE to set the sag for your weight witch is easy enough to do. But after that try this set up.
all settings are from full tight then back out.

frt
hs 2 turns
ls 4 clicks
rb 3 click (When tighting as soon as it gets tight stop! it will go farther but you could damage the needle and seat if forced)

rear
hs 8 clicks
ls 3 clicks
rb 14 clicks
this will put your shock in the middle of its range on everything.

When your tuning the rear shock move the hs and ls screws the same. Ex: if you want two clicks softer then do it to both hs and ls. The rear shock is not sensative so dont worry about big adjustments here.

It is a bit stiff on the street but it will soak up the bumps with out upsetting the bike. I have hit some bumps at speed that I would think would toss me off the bike but, not a problem.

Im only 165lb so I had to take a click or two out of the rear hs and ls and 2 clicks out of the frt low speed to be perfectly balanced between street and canyon style riding.

Hope this heps.
DK
Suspension setup should be set and changed everytime you go to the track. As you improve your skills on the bike, the bike should be setup to be, let's say, 20 minutes ahead of your skills. There does come a point when you will get so good that the bike will eventually be setup to have a pro race suspension setup. That's why it is imperative you continually see the suspension guy when you can. The end game is you are such a good rider that it's the bike that becomes the difference. That's the theory at least.

·
vroom vroom party starter
137 Posts
i dunno man.. to me, it looks like you are really throwing the bike into the curve.. i mean, look at the clearance between the case cover and the track.. from the pic it looks like you are like an inch from hitting...

you are big guy and the 6 is not that big of a bike, i think for the way you are pitching the bike into the curves you need to get your upper body more involved by pushing your head and chest forward and down to help lower the center of gravity.

the advice i was given was to try to hug the tank but to keep pushing my chest and shoulders forward so that i keep my upper body weight in front of the bike...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Suspension setup should be set and changed everytime you go to the track. As you improve your skills on the bike, the bike should be setup to be, let's say, 20 minutes ahead of your skills. There does come a point when you will get so good that the bike will eventually be setup to have a pro race suspension setup. That's why it is imperative you continually see the suspension guy when you can. The end game is you are such a good rider that it's the bike that becomes the difference. That's the theory at least.
I agree. As the track changes your setup will need to change. But it does make life a whole lot easyer when you have a place to start from.

DK

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, 10-4....I am def going to be leaning a lot more forward next weekend and trying to kiss the mirror as they say. I really thought I was doing a good job of that last time but the pictures tell the truth. I thought a control rider would have picked up on that and let me know but I think that they had there hands full. As for the suspension I have talked with an expert who is going to reserve me a spot at the track right next to his canopy so I will be picking his brain for both days. The camaraderie in the motorcycle racing world is un-freaking-believable. I am glad for all of the advice and hopefully I remain open enough for it to make me a better rider.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Now that I can see the pic, I agree. You're body position is a little high, which makes your bike have to be leaned in farther. In turn, you may have just run out the edge of that tire, and it can only hang onto the pavement if there is rubber MEETING the pavement. Run out of rubber, run out of traction, fall off bike. That's how it goes.
If I may suggest (and I am NOT A PRO) not only "kiss the mirror" but get your body off the inside of the bike a little by sliding a half to 3/4 of a butt cheeck off the seat. That will bring out your center of gravity, and it will stand the bike up a little, keeping more rubber on the road.
Getting your suspension settings correct will help out alot too.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
As far as the suspension goes you can't necessarily take someone elses settings and have it work for you. As each suspension gets used over time you have to adjust your settings so definitely having it setup by someone that knows what they are doing will help so they can find the correct settings for your bike.

As far as your body positioning looks like you could benefit a lot from moving your upper body over some because you are leaning the bike more than necessary. Also if you open your shoulders up and sqaure your shoulders up with the corner and have them face the direction of the corner this will also help you corner better. But be aware the first few times you do this you will turn faster than you are expecting and end up further inside on the corner so you will have to adjust your lines slightly once you square your shoulders up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts