Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MITICO
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Participated in the last track day of the year @ NJMP yesterday - weather turned out to be great and small groups meant there was plenty of space and time to work on stuff. As my track times increased and lap times decreased I've noticed a behavior from my suspension. The most apparent place where it was felt in the transition of direction and getting back on throttle - it seems to bounce a bit. Didn't feel very planted and found myself having to work a bit harder in regards to the change in direction and getting back on the gas simultaneously.

I have an Ohlins front end with a 25mm kit but a stock rear shock. I am a larger rider, about 260 fully geared. I guess my questions are: what exactly might be the issue (rebound, compression, etc) and what would you guys advise in regards to further suspension adjustment? Is the rear stock shock fine, but maybe a beefier spring to couple the weight or should I invest in a complete upgrade? Maybe just springs on the front end?

Thanks in advance!

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I would say you definitely need to respiring the shock. That's probably a bit more weight that it was set up for at the factory. If you want to upgrade the stock unit, without shelling out for an Ohilins, have it re-valved too.

As far as helping you tune your suspension; that's not really something that can be done over the internet. I mean, people can give you suggestions to go out and try, but you are going to save yourself a lot of time and aggravation by just paying your local suspension dude to do it next time head out to the track.

·
MITICO
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks thedub, you're 100% right about the suspension tuning - I guess due to my lack of understanding regarding "specific" suspension components and behaviors I was looking for a snapshot of what things do. For example, when you adjust your preload, what's the effect? Rebound, dampening, etc.

To get that stuff dialed in I'd just invest in a track side service, there's a reputable shop ere in the NE who's present at NJMP days and I can work with him all day about dialing it in to what I need.

Thanks a lot!

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
That stock rear spring is way too soft for you, so that's likely the majority of the problem. And I'm guessing the shock is in dire need of fresh oil. Do you know what the rate is on the fork springs? You're probably going to want 1.0 or 1.1 kg/mm up front. For a heavy guy like yourself, getting the right springs is the most important thing. Then, like you said, work with your track side service to dial things in.

·
MITICO
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks HIS OWN 6 - I feel like I know the answer already but I'm going to ask. There's no way to know what rate's currently in there without asking who installed them or last worked on them, correct?

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
The only other way is to pull them out and look for a marking on them. Most aftermarket springs are labeled, but I have seen some that aren't. Doesn't that Ohlins kit allow you to pull the springs without removing the forks from the bike? That would make it easier.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
The only other way is to pull them out and look for a marking on them. Most aftermarket springs are labeled, but I have seen some that aren't. Doesn't that Ohlins kit allow you to pull the springs without removing the forks from the bike? That would make it easier.
yes, you can pull the caps to gain access to the springs. if im not mistaken the ohlins caps use a special tool, but its fairly inexpensive. im sure a tool could be made to work, i just personally havent worked with any ohlins caps to say for sure.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would ditch the stock shock all together. After a few laps, given your weight, that thing just turns to mush and becomes overly soft. Invest your money in an Ohlins or Penske that is setup for your weight and enjoy some awesome response and feedback!

·
MITICO
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's your opinion and the main difference between a brand new / used Ohlins shock and a "Race Tech gold valve shock kit" with the appropriate shock spring?

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
What's your opinion and the main difference between a brand new / used Ohlins shock and a "Race Tech gold valve shock kit" with the appropriate shock spring?
I also am interested in any feedback on building the stock shock with gold valves. I plan on getting into club racing next year at superstock level where aftermarket shocks are not allowed.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
as some have mentioned, until you revalve/respring that stock rear shock (if it can be done) you are wasting your time doing anything else. You already have a 25mm cartridge kit in the forks. This will make spring change a snap.
If you know someone that is a race tech dealer, they can get the stock shock sorted. Then you can set sag and take it from there.
Option "B" is just buy an aftermarket shock. I use and prefer JRi shocks. Sold both my Ohlins TTX shocks after i switched to JRi but both are good. Call Mike "thermosman" fitzgerald (google) or Marcus Mcbane at JRi and perhaps they have a used shock or one that was lent out during a season to a racer for sponsorship that was then returned.. can save a few $ vs. buying brand new out of the box. And.. you are gonna need a heavier spring no matter what.
Contact DanQ on this forum, he may be doing side work for Race tech stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts