Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm an auto tech, so I'm perfectly comfortable and capable of working on things. But, I don't know jack about motorcycle suspensions or anything about adjusting them. So, I bought this book yesterday online (from www.bullpublishing.com for those that may be interested):

Obviously, I don't have the book yet. But I noticed something today when sitting on my bike. I had never paid any attention to my suspension settings before and have NEVER adjusted anything, simply because I didn't know anything about what I would be doing. So all these settings have been like this the entire time I've owned the bike (bought it brand new last August).

I took a couple pictures of what I saw: Attachments. The first pic is the left fork, the second, the right fork. Do these settings look off to anyone else? I will add that I found my left fork sat about 2mm higher in the triple tree than the right one. (Thanks dealership) I've corrected that and it made a world of difference, especially with the Hyperpro damper on it.

Somebody tell me I'm not crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
honestly, just looking, I can't see the difference... maybe it's just me. when you adjust the suspension, you turn everything to full-stiff, and back it out (x) clicks/turns to whatever setting you decide on, this way you can be sure exactly where you're set at.

You might want to read sportrider magazine sometimes, there's some really good info in there. Here's a link to their site with the suggested suspension settings (the 07 is the same as the 06), you can look in your owner's manual for specific instructions on making adjustments.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_suspension_settings/index10.html

You'll still learn a lot of good stuff from that book you bought, though, suspension is really complicated on sportbikes, and i don't know much about it either; i started with the sportrider settings and started adjusting small things, seeing how the changes felt. Eventually i just went back to the SR settings and I thought they felt perfect, so they haven't been changed since, other than bumping up the rear preload 1 when i take my fiance out. I'm about 165lbs, 5'7", though, your weight/height can make a difference.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
the gold "pre load" adjusters, have lines on them so you can keep track of how many are showing. so you know how far they are in/out and if they are the same. they appear to be screwed all the way in.
the top screw, "the rebound" you have to count the clicks. your owners manual has all of this in it.

cincy huh, did you buy it from Beechmont Motorsports, I did, and my forks were set different too.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought mine from Middletown, but all the bikes around here are pre-assembled in Columbus.

The thing I noticed that I was questioning was the left fork, the slit lines up with the "S"
The right one, it's inbetween the "S" an the "H". This might be irrelevant and I should just count the clicks?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
that doesn't mean anything. the screw goes around about 10 times. it's just marked with a s and H so you know which way is soft and hard. but they should typically be about the same on each fork.
you need to start adjusting.

get your owners manual out, it shows you what each one does, and how many turns is stock etc.
that doesn't mean it will be just right for your style of riding etc but it will be very neutral. the recommended settings will work just about perfect for many road conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts