Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just a question about setting up suspension for track days, so im going to set up my suspension on my 09' R6 for street riding as its still set from the stealership. Will i be alright to run track days on street set up, i ask this because this is also what i use as my transportation when its riding season and home from work, I dont really want to change my suspension every time i get on and off the track. I stress that this is just for track days only and will not be a race bike.

Any info on this would be great.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright i figured if i set it up good for the street that going to a few track days won't cause problems with handling.

I should also be fine on my stock Dunflops as i have only had them on for a few months, i will probably need new tires at the end of this up coming season though.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
That depends on your definition of "OK".

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts
I never adjust for the street. I ride the same setup as I do on the track. It's too much rebound and compression, but it reminds me where the bike belongs. :laugh

And I'll let Steve explain how he got his avatar pic for u...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That depends on your definition of "OK".
I never asked if it was "OK" however i did ask if it was "ALRIGHT".

That being said, will i be "OK" as i have never been on the track.

I dont think ill be knee dragging on the track just yet and will have to run with the "new" group as i have yet to run track.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never adjust for the street. I ride the same setup as I do on the track. It's too much rebound and compression, but it reminds me where the bike belongs. :laugh

As i only have 1 track within any reasonable driving distance my time on the track will be limited, so this is the reason i want to know if it will work. i understand that its better to set up for track, and if i was to get into track i would build a track bike so it can be tuned to run track and street stay street.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
As i only have 1 track within any reasonable driving distance my time on the track will be limited, so this is the reason i want to know if it will work. i understand that its better to set up for track, and if i was to get into track i would build a track bike so it can be tuned to run track and street stay street.
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the suspension as much as the tires. Those stock dunlops are junk. I lowsided when I still had them on, and while they are not the only reason I crashed, they were definitely a pretty big factor. They may work fine for your first track day, but if it were me, I'd drop the loot on new tires for peace of mind.

P.S. You can get a set of Q2's shipped to your door for a little over $200. :secret

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
I got my suspension setup for the track and ride it just fine on the street (in fact it feels better now even on the streets). Setting up the suspension during a trackday to your liking will give you supreme confidence in the bike, and that'll carry over to the street as well.

Stock dunlops are just fine imho, you just need to give them time to warm up. I got ~7 trackdays, beginner and mid intermediate levels with 4.5k street miles to go along with that on my stock Dunlop sportmax tires :fact (no crashes on them). Warm them up before trying to go fast.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
I got my suspension setup for the track and ride it just fine on the street (in fact it feels better now even on the streets). Setting up the suspension during a trackday to your liking will give you supreme confidence in the bike, and that'll carry over to the street as well.

Stock dunlops are just fine imho, you just need to give them time to warm up. I got ~7 trackdays, beginner and mid intermediate levels with 4.5k street miles to go along with that on my stock Dunlop sportmax tires :fact (no crashes on them). Warm them up before trying to go fast.
^this

I run a track tuned suspension on both of my bikes and like it much better than a non tuned suspension.

I also ran the stock Qualifiers when I went to the Pridmore Star School last August and had no problems (it was 106 degrees on the track, that helps some). Check your pressures, I'd run somewhere around 30 psi then just give them a lap or two of hard acceleration and deceleration on the straights to get them nice and warm. Stay smooth and you shouldn't have any problems with them.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But ive done some looking and there is moree to tunning for track then just the front and rear shocks, i cant remember what its called but there was something else for track, what diffrence is it between setting for street and setting for track? like i am confident in the front and rear tuning by following tips but im not sure? would it be in goot intrest to go to a shop and get my suspension set up?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and yes i would like to get a better set of tires to run on both street and track, but my stock tires run nice in the rain.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When you have your suspension adjusted at the track, the mechanic should give you a form with the previous settings and whatever he changed.

The first time I had mine set up, I asked how could I make it streetable and he said that one full turn on the rebound adjusters will be comfortable enough.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
x2

get a sag setup done and enjoy your day.
So set my suspension for the street and use it as is for track? just get some better rubber?

The track i will be going to is used for go carts and drifting, so im unsure if they even offer suspension tuneing.

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts
So set my suspension for the street and use it as is for track? just get some better rubber?

The track i will be going to is used for go carts and drifting, so im unsure if they even offer suspension tuneing.
I'm sure it's better than no track. Get the bike setup for the track and ride it. You're worrying about it all too much. Plenty of people ride a track setup around.

A little less preload and maybe one or two less clicks here and there is all it takes to adjust it bro. It's not fcukin rocket science!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sure it's better than no track. Get the bike setup for the track and ride it. You're worrying about it all too much. Plenty of people ride a track setup around.

A little less preload and maybe one or two less clicks here and there is all it takes to adjust it bro. It's not fcukin rocket science!
Yup i got that running track set up will work on the street as well, but is setting track suspension any different then setting it up for street? or is there a bit more to it? A related question, if i'm running track set up will i have any problems with 2up? as in will i have to adjust it much if at all?

·
iRun
33,319 Posts

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Yup i got that running track set up will work on the street as well, but is setting track suspension any different then setting it up for street? or is there a bit more to it? A related question, if i'm running track set up will i have any problems with 2up? as in will i have to adjust it much if at all?
They're going to set it up stiffer for riding the track. It'll probably be better for riding 2-up, but might be a little punishing riding solo on the street.

I personally greatly prefer having by bike setup stiffer and having it do exactly what I tell it to do. Having them set it up for street isn't going to be a huge difference in comfort - and it's a sportbike - it's not really built for comfort in the first place.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts