Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
DeathPodComesFromTheSky!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my suspension setup today on my new 08. All I can say is wow, what a difference. The bike dives into turns with ease now and just holds a nice steady line. It just feels solid! If you are in the NJ/Pa area go see Ron and John over at Washington Cycle works in Washington New Jersey, Great guys and they really know their stuff. It took about 20 minutes and cost $40.00.:werd

·
DeathPodComesFromTheSky!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Paytheon.... I see you lurking on the R1 board a bunch. I should have my damper tomorrow and did my first oil change tonight. Is it me or do all liter bikes have the filters in the front right behind the header? Thats how i remember them all being. I was looking around my bike like a fool then Ispotted it. Behind the shift linkage?!? What the crap is it doing there?? Man did I feel stupid.:sing

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
Do you have a damper or stabilizer on your bike? That will help as well. Gratz on the suspension setup. I agree...it makes a big difference.
neah

i personally do nto think these are the first things people should buy. im a mediocre "A" group rider and just recently ive started to feel in a few corners that it would be nice to have one.

a proper suspension set up should get rid of 99.99 percent of head shake for the average rider. headshake is usually a result of too much weight on the bars through your hands. proper riding technique can usually make up for a damper.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
Hey Paytheon.... I see you lurking on the R1 board a bunch. I should have my damper tomorrow and did my first oil change tonight. Is it me or do all liter bikes have the filters in the front right behind the header? Thats how i remember them all being. I was looking around my bike like a fool then Ispotted it. Behind the shift linkage?!? What the crap is it doing there?? Man did I feel stupid.:sing
Yeah, that's one of the pit falls of the R6. It's a pain, but the ride is well worth it my friend.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
neah

i personally do nto think these are the first things people should buy. im a mediocre "A" group rider and just recently ive started to feel in a few corners that it would be nice to have one.

a proper suspension set up should get rid of 99.99 percent of head shake for the average rider. headshake is usually a result of too much weight on the bars through your hands. proper riding technique can usually make up for a damper.
Yeah, there are many different theories about the damper/stabilizer. Many of the people I ride with believe they are one of the most important mods one can put on their bike. I've been riding since 1985 and can tell you that is the first mod I put on my bike.

·
DeathPodComesFromTheSky!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to agree... the first thing I order for a new bike is a stabilizer. I feel it smooths things out and better safe than sorry. For sure its one less thing to worry about.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
i'll have to check them out, thats even cheaper than the dude at the track charges. what part of jersey?

i like the my GPR stabilizer just for tighter steering, i hate that loosey goosey stock steering. i like it nice and tight! i keep my GPR at between 3 and 4.and at higher speeds i'll bump it up a bit.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
I've had a few head shakes, mostly from hitting unseen dips or bumps in the road. It always straitens out though, and I attribute it to having dialed in suspension.
Do you have a damper on your bike? If you talk with any suspension guy at the track they will tell you to dial in your suspension, but to get a stabilizer/damper on your bike as well. You look at pro rider setups and you will see every single one of them has a damper/stabilzer on their bike. Why is that? As for tank slappers, people who've never experience them might react the wrong way and have an unpleasant experience. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Do you have a damper on your bike? If you talk with any suspension guy at the track they will tell you to dial in your suspension, but to get a stabilizer/damper on your bike as well.
No I don't. But I ride all loosey-goosy on the bars. You know, I try to make my bike think nobody is on it. Really helps on Scappoose Vernonia Hwy, aka bumps-from-hell road. I'll probably be getting one soon, at least before I get a pipe, PCIII and all those other "popular" mods.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
No I don't. But I ride all loosey-goosy on the bars. You know, I try to make my bike think nobody is on it. Really helps on Scappoose Vernonia Hwy, aka bumps-from-hell road. I'll probably be getting one soon, at least before I get a pipe, PCIII and all those other "popular" mods.
You are talking about hwy 47. I know it very well. I ride those curves at 60 to 70 mph. Great road. I hope you and I can hit her up together soon my friend. We live very close together.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You are talking about hwy 47. I know it very well. I ride those curves at 60 to 70 mph. Great road. I hope you and I can hit her up together soon my friend. We live very close together.
47 is pretty smooth. Scappoose Vernonia hwy runs from Scapoose at Hwy30 and connects to 47 about 2 or 3 miles from Apiary Rd. I usually run up that way, then take Hwy 47 from Clatskanie to Mist which is my favorite sections of road. Am I crazy, or is riding around those gravel strips in the corners fun? I can't take that section between Clatskanie and Mist at 60-70 mph though :D More like 30-50 :cool:

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
47 is pretty smooth. Scappoose Vernonia hwy runs from Scapoose at Hwy30 and connects to 47 about 2 or 3 miles from Apiary Rd. I usually run up that way, then take Hwy 47 from Clatskanie to Mist which is my favorite sections of road. Am I crazy, or is riding around those gravel strips in the corners fun? I can't take that section between Clatskanie and Mist at 60-70 mph though :D More like 30-50 :cool:
I was there last weekend and there was only 2 corners that had a little bit of gravel. The gravel was visible enough to see so you could hit a line and miss it. 3 of us were running it hard. I don't think anyone was doing 30mph on it. But if you can hit those corners hard, you will really enjoy Deals Gap.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I was there last weekend and there was only 2 corners that had a little bit of gravel. The gravel was visible enough to see so you could hit a line and miss it. 3 of us were running it hard. I don't think anyone was doing 30mph on it. But if you can hit those corners hard, you will really enjoy Deals Gap.
Coming from Mist some of the left handers are increasing radius. Coming from Clatskanie the right handers decrease, and have sent me over the yellow.

Anyway sorry for the thread jack! Everyone should get their suspension dialed, it's the best [insert small amount of money here] you'll ever spend.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
Coming from Mist some of the left handers are increasing radius. Coming from Clatskanie the right handers decrease, and have sent me over the yellow.

Anyway sorry for the thread jack! Everyone should get their suspension dialed, it's the best [insert small amount of money here] you'll ever spend.
Good info. Ok, no more thread jack.

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
You look at pro rider setups and you will see every single one of them has a damper/stabilzer on their bike. Why is that?
because they are riding their bikes at a billion times more than you or i will ever be able to. they actually NEED one. i do believe that its a good insurance policy, but people can benefit more from correct riding techniques. don't get me wrong, i want one for those little moments of oh shit, but would rather spend my 400 dollars on a track day or two b/c over all that will make me a better rider.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts