Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't know how to discribe this but,.. i'v noticed what looks like a wrist sweat band around the front brake reservoir on race bikes ,... why ???

·
Registered
281 Posts
prevents boiling of the fluid which causing bubbles in the brake line, which equals mushy brakes....

sun can do this.....

you will also see people covering their gas tanks to prevent the same thing....race gas tends to boil.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx guy's !!!! :cheers

now u know i'm going to go out and do that just to be cool !!!,... :hammer
hehhehehe

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have a sweatband on my brake resorvoir and here's why:

When you crash, your brake resovoir usually breaks off, breaks open, or the cap comes off.

If this happens, the fluid will get all over everything.

Brake fluid eats paint away.

Hopefully, the wirstband will keep the resovoir together or AT LEAST soak up enough of the brake fluid to keep it off the paint.

That way, in the event that the bike is repairable, re-painting the tank is one less thing I will have to worry about.

So for $1.99, hopefully I will save a few hundred dolars to repaint the tank when I crash.

Like the gear I wear...it only becomes useful when I crash.

Ive never heard of brake fluid boiling

·
Registered
243 Posts
There's an old wive's tale that said sun can cause the brake fluid to change color when it heats up due to the UV rays the sun creates.... therefore people put a wrist band over the front and rear resevoir. This is all crap!! UV rays cannot penetrate and cause any significant damage to the brake fluid. Also it won't cause the fluid to "boil" either. The only "sane" reason to do this is to help abosrb any leaks during the event of a crash...... but really I think it just kinda held on and became a fad........

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
jasamb said:
I have a sweatband on my brake resorvoir and here's why:

When you crash, your brake resovoir usually breaks off, breaks open, or the cap comes off.

If this happens, the fluid will get all over everything.

Brake fluid eats paint away.

Hopefully, the wirstband will keep the resovoir together or AT LEAST soak up enough of the brake fluid to keep it off the paint.

That way, in the event that the bike is repairable, re-painting the tank is one less thing I will have to worry about.

So for $1.99, hopefully I will save a few hundred dolars to repaint the tank when I crash.
chances are your tank will get scratched in a crash though right...?

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
^You never know stranger things have happened than a tank being ok in a crash. I have a nike one on mine,just for the hell of it. I am waiting for someone to steal it.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I always thought they were for cleaning your ass after that semi cuts you off on the freeway....

Honestly, I've never heard of this, and never saw anyone at the racetrack with one on their bike.

·
Registered
281 Posts
race at willow springs in the summer time, everybody has them....i was told to prevent the brake lines from getting too hot. but what do i know?

my bike vapor locked 5 times because the gas boiled.....because it gets so hot out there....why wouldn't the brake lines experience the same thing?

again, i don't have a 100% answer, just what i was told by asking around...

if you crash, you need to worry about a little more than a couple ounces of brake fluid eating your paint.

·
Registered
836 Posts
TWOtheONE said:
race at willow springs in the summer time, everybody has them....i was told to prevent the brake lines from getting too hot. but what do i know?

my bike vapor locked 5 times because the gas boiled.....because it gets so hot out there....why wouldn't the brake lines experience the same thing?

again, i don't have a 100% answer, just what i was told by asking around...

if you crash, you need to worry about a little more than a couple ounces of brake fluid eating your paint.
I was told that we use it out of courtesy for the track crew. Makes it easier to clean up the track after a wreck if the bike doesn't spew fluids all over the place.

Obiviously it isn't the most slippery of fluids that can get on the track. But in a minor low side where no other fluids spill, that little band could prevent the reservoir from breaking or contain enough of the fluid that all the crew has to do is move the bike and not worry about cleaning up any unidentified fluid on the track.

:idea:

·
Registered
281 Posts
i can buy that too. do you have one on the rear reservoir too? if that was the case, woudn't you have one on both? i sure don't...

i will be asking more people to get more opinions....

i can only tell you guys what i was told....i am not an expert on all this stuff. i am still pretty gullible at the track...i am still a sponge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.