Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after seeing how dry the swing arm bearings, and suspension link bearings were on my DRZ, figured I better do the R6 as well.

So start by removing the radiator... seriously. Got to love sport bikes, where even a simple oil change requires removing a bunch of stuff. Even the gas tank had to be removed.

I had hoped the pivot bolt for the swing arm would just unscrew without removing the castle nut, however it did not, so I was forced to sacrifice a socket to make a special tool to remove it.

Got a pile of parts on the work bench now, to be cleaned, re-greased, etc. The bike will be apart for at least a week, as I'm sending the shock off to be serviced, and re-sprung for my weight.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait, so why did the radiator have to come off? Are you doing plugs or something too?
Had to take the header out. You can get the header off without completing removing the radiator, but you can properly torque the bolts when re-installing with the radiator in the way.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Started polishing bolts today:

·
pin it to win it
8,082 Posts
How do you polish your bolts?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those bolts go to the dog bones so the overall size isn't that critical. So those I just used some 400 grit sandpaper real quick, then some mothers mag/aluminum wheel polish.

The swing arm pivot bolt/shaft can't have play in it, so I used 1500 then 2000, then the polish.

The goal is to clean it up and make them as smooth as possible, while removing the least amount of material as possible.

Only takes maybe a minute per bolt, so doesn't take much.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snapped a few more pictures. Just for clarification as well, this is just for functionality / "performance", it has nothing to do with looks. I am not polishing the heads or nuts, just cleaning up where the bolt will be riding in a sleeve, or on a bearing surface.

Here is my swing arm pivot, notice it's not perfect. It's smooth, but if I had actually took out enough material to make it a "mirror" shine everywhere I would have changed the overall size / diameter. I did just enough to clean it up and make it smooth again.

Will definitely be much nicer then just lubing up a bunch of corroded bolts.

Normally I just use Lucas Red N Tacky, however this is a lot of work, so I picked up some Lucas X'Tra Heavy Duty grease for all this stuff. Nearly waterproof, but better performance than most all "waterproof" greases.

Shipping the shock out in the morning. Hopefully doesn't take too long to get it back. New chain and sprockets shipped on Saturday. Be interested to see how much the supersprox sprocket weights compared to my all aluminium sprocket.

·
pin it to win it
8,082 Posts
Cool. I was curious, my caliper bolts need to be cleaned. I was just scarred to hit it with sand paper. brake clean and a wire brush didn't do shit.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Parts list is starting to add up... Noticed one wheel bearing is toast on my rear wheel. Couldn't quite swallow the $180 of OEM bearings, seals and spacers, so I ordered an All Balls kit, hopefully it doesn't bite me.

·
pin it to win it
8,082 Posts
All balls bearings are great. Been using them for years in all my toys

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well unfortunately, I got to throw it back together as is right now. Between some house repairs, dental exspenses, and making sure our vacation this month isn't disrupted I'm going to have to wait to do the shock. Still have no choice but to do the chain, sprockets, tires, and wheel bearings. Oh well that's life sometimes! At least the swing arm pivots will all be freshly greased.

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
I have all balls in the steering head and both wheels. Racing on them for a few years no problems. Way cheaper! And man those bolts got messy! I always kept a little grease on mine and after 8+ years they still look pretty good ;).

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The bearing install went surprisingly smooth. Knocked the old bearings out. Got the wheel all cleaned up. Had the bearings in the freeze, and had heated the wheel up, to aid in the install.

Did have to make modify a bearing driver, to make sure the fit was perfect, didn't want to take a chance of messing up the bearings. Turned out pretty good for just free handing it with flap wheel on the angle grinder, then a quick clean up and polish to make sure it wouldn't hurt anything. Slides into the hub / wheel perfect now, so it “centers” itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts