Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I am brand new to the forum, and I hate to introduce myself this way but I am facing a time sensitive issue and thought I'd see if you all could help. I've been lurking here for a few months now, utilizing the search function voraciously in an attempt to learn about my new baby in the garage...Unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything relating to my issue:

I have had a 2012 R6 for 4 months now and just signed up for my first track day this Memorial Day. Super stoked for it, so I got some new Q3s installed, took off the old balance weights from the wheels and had my local shop put balance beans in the tires instead. 2 oz. in the rear and 1 oz up front.

Took her out for a spin just now and the bike started to shake at +90 mph. It felt like the shake was coming from the read wheel, and it increased in intensity as my speed increased which leads me to believe it's a balancing issue, but I'm not sure. Rear tire was at 30 psi cold, front tire 32 psi cold.

Has anyone faced a similar issue?? Think I should go back and get the tires rebalanced, etc?

Thanks a lot!
Ben

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Is the rear wheel aligned properly?

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
prob not balanced correctly

·
pin it to win it
8,085 Posts
Odd. I've had the same issue. At 100mph I got a shake that gets worse with speed. Found mine to be out of balance. I think that's your problem.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
Odd. I've had the same issue. At 100mph I got a shake that gets worse with speed. Found mine to be out of balance. I think that's your problem.
yeah dont be like this guy who decided to bedazzle his rim with weights lol jk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say you've had the same issue, do you mean while using balance beans? please be specific....regardless, I'll most likely have to take the wheels off tonight and bring them back to the shop. :cuss

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
When you say you've had the same issue, do you mean while using balance beans? please be specific....regardless, I'll most likely have to take the wheels off tonight and bring them back to the shop. :cuss
No, he just had tons too much weight...

Why even use those "beans" (beads btw)...??? Just take them back and have them rebalanced. I never understood what advantage those beads had over the OG weight anyway..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Why even use those "beans" (beads btw)...??? Just take them back and have them rebalanced. I never understood what advantage those beads had over the OG weight anyway..
Beads, roger. I did it because my buddy, who has been riding for much longer than I have, suggested it...I now wish I hadn't listened to him ha.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

In theory, they do a "better" job balancing because they dynamically move around the inside of the tire to balance things out.

I've heard stories of the beads getting embedded in the hot rubber though, leaving you with a permanently unbalanced wheel instead. :laugh And they also make a mess when changing tires.

Regular wheel weights are cheap and work fine, so it seems like the beads are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

·
pin it to win it
8,085 Posts
Same deal as you new to q3's and tried them on the track 32/32 hot. Same speed every time, right under 100 slight shake that got way worse with speed. Rebalanced and i'm good

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
In theory, they do a "better" job balancing because they dynamically move around the inside of the tire to balance things out.

I've heard stories of the beads getting embedded in the hot rubber though, leaving you with a permanently unbalanced wheel instead. :laugh And they also make a mess when changing tires.

Regular wheel weights are cheap and work fine, so it seems like the beads are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
This

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts

I've only heard of beads getting embedded in Ryan's ass...

·
Too sad without 2 wheels.
650 Posts
lmao shit.

·
A work in progress...
13,658 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Yup... The "beads" are a gimmick, imo
I can hear a track side tire vendor now as he's slinging rubber .. "you wanna use beads? .. on what? "

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
I can hear a track side tire vendor now as he's slinging rubber .. "you wanna use beads? .. on what? "
"I didn't know this was that kind of party!"

:giggity:

·
pin it to win it
8,085 Posts
I know the idea behind the beads work I just don't know about a hot race tire. I've seen them work in 40in super swamppers, used golf balls and it balanced great at 50mph. Better than the brick they had before lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.