Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running a Super Corsa 180/55 and want to try out the 180/60 next time I need a rear.

I'm due for chain & sprockets and I'll be swapping them out before I need a new tire so I want to make sure I'm setup to throw the 60 series on there without having to mess with chain length at the track.

Is it possible to figure out if I need another link before I've got the tire mounted up? My current setup has me near the middle of adjustment (4 big ticks + 1 little tick on the adjuster). Should that leave enough room for the taller tire? Or should I use one more link when I put the new chain on?

I've never done chain/sprockets myself, so maybe it's way less work than I'm thinking to add a link at the track?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't be a difference. Sprocket changes affect that but not tires.
Runner a taller tire can definitely effect needed chain length. Typically running a GPA 190/60 you need to add a chain link to avoid having the tire rub on the swing arm and still have the appropriate slack.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
I've never bought a chain that didn't need to be cut down. I don't bother counting links. Just get it sitting on the sprockets so it fits right and cut off the excess. Plus if you count wrong and need to add a link you better have an extra master in your toolbox.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
I just re-read and see your dilemma. If you cut off a link you'll need a new master link, but if you need to add one you'll need 2 new links. So err on the longer side, but remember that the new chain will stretch a little bit at first and you still want to have some room left for adjustment after that.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stand corrected!
:cheers

I just re-read and see your dilemma. If you cut off a link you'll need a new master link, but if you need to add one you'll need 2 new links. So err on the longer side, but remember that the new chain will stretch a little bit at first and you still want to have some room left for adjustment after that.
Mark, are you running the 60 series? Did you need to mess with the chain at all if so?

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
This is my 2 cents:

If you want to stick with the OEM range of gearing, get a 15/42 set up. I know, I know - that's the same as stock gearing. Here's why:

The 180/60's fit fine with the OEM gearing. I know this because I've ran it for awhile. HOWEVER, the tire tread-swingarm clearance is extremely close. Enough that my tire warmers rub while putting the tire warmers on. I've tried ChickenHawk Pro-lines, Woodcraft's, and my new Capit tire warmers. All rub.

Obviously, the 15/42 sprockets are smaller than the stock 16/45. Using the same number of chain links, your rear axle will get pushed back.

I HAVE NOT tried my tire warmer yet. I might get a chance to try it out tonight. I'll try to update (With pics) as soon as I can.

Oh...yeah...by the way.

My Sharkskinz doesn't work with the kickstand. So, I said eff it, and just removed the entire bracket/everything. Rear stand only from here on out. If you haven't sent your shit off to get painted yet, I would DEFINITELY trim that corner out so it'll clear. Your painter guy can clean it up so it'll look factory. Unfortunately, I had my shit already painted/drilled. I'm not about to hack into my brand new paint job. Now, a crash or two later in the future, yeah, my give a shits will probably be less. But until then...

EDIT: Oh yeah. You can't just add a link to the chain, since technically you have to add 2 links. And if you want to use 16/45 gearing, you CAN NOT add a link to the chain. The chain will be too long and you'll run out of axle adjustment. Been there, done that - that's why I went 15/42.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why not just run a 190?

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Because racebike

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
This is my 2 cents:

If you want to stick with the OEM range of gearing, get a 15/42 set up. I know, I know - that's the same as stock gearing. Here's why:

The 180/60's fit fine with the OEM gearing. I know this because I've ran it for awhile. HOWEVER, the tire tread-swingarm clearance is extremely close. Enough that my tire warmers rub while putting the tire warmers on. I've tried ChickenHawk Pro-lines, Woodcraft's, and my new Capit tire warmers. All rub.

Obviously, the 15/42 sprockets are smaller than the stock 16/45. Using the same number of chain links, your rear axle will get pushed back.

I HAVE NOT tried my tire warmer yet. I might get a chance to try it out tonight. I'll try to update (With pics) as soon as I can.

Oh...yeah...by the way.

My Sharkskinz doesn't work with the kickstand. So, I said eff it, and just removed the entire bracket/everything. Rear stand only from here on out. If you haven't sent your shit off to get painted yet, I would DEFINITELY trim that corner out so it'll clear. Your painter guy can clean it up so it'll look factory. Unfortunately, I had my shit already painted/drilled. I'm not about to hack into my brand new paint job. Now, a crash or two later in the future, yeah, my give a shits will probably be less. But until then...

EDIT: Oh yeah. You can't just add a link to the chain, since technically you have to add 2 links. And if you want to use 16/45 gearing, you CAN NOT add a link to the chain. The chain will be too long and you'll run out of axle adjustment. Been there, done that - that's why I went 15/42.
It's worth mentioning that he's (Scott/Fallis) running a second gen so gearing is not the 16/46, but 16/48 stock...iirc. I'm not sure what hearing he's currently running.

Also, I think your Sharkskins post was for me. Yeah, after two test fits, came to the same conclusion. I'm going to remove just the stand and leave the bracket so I don't have to splice wires and shit. Also, I can just install the stand after my track days. I'd also rather not hack up a new top notch race body.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Scott, I looked at mine and it's really far forward, so I'd definitely need extra links to run the 60 series. If you add a pair of chain links, the distance from one pin to the next one is approximately equal to the distance that the wheel will be pushed back.

Remember that your axle probably won't be in the same spot when you get the new chain on. So when you install the new chain, lay it in place before cutting it down and adjust the tension (on the tight side) and see how much clearance you've got. What's the tire size difference? Isn't it something like 13mm? Try it with the extra links (remember you have to add in pairs) and see if you can even get enough slack out.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, as Johnny Mac said, I've got a 2005, and running -1/+1, which puts me at 15/49 and has been working pretty well for the track I race at.

Sounds like I should be able to to measure how much clearance I have, do the math to figure out how big the 60 series tire is and go from there.

·
Registered
980 Posts
FYI that 180/60 is badass. It will jack up your rear ride height a little bit and cause the bike to turn in a little bit quicker than you may be used to. Dont change anything right away, just ride it and see if it helps you.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FYI that 180/60 is badass. It will jack up your rear ride height a little bit and cause the bike to turn in a little bit quicker than you may be used to. Dont change anything right away, just ride it and see if it helps you.
That's what I'm hoping! I switched from R10s, and for some reason I found the bike much harder to get turned with the DSCs. A little suspension fiddling made it better, but a little increase in height out back ought to make it perfect.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
That's what I'm hoping! I switched from R10s, and for some reason I found the bike much harder to get turned with the DSCs. A little suspension fiddling made it better, but a little increase in height out back ought to make it perfect.

That should be the end result!

If you're in the middle of the adjustment on the axle I think you will be fine.

And in regards to gearing the 60 series has the same effect as dropping one tooth on the rear sprocket.

:YEA

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That should be the end result!

If you're in the middle of the adjustment on the axle I think you will be fine.

And in regards to gearing the 60 series has the same effect as dropping one tooth on the rear sprocket.

:YEA
Excellent. I'm right about at the middle of adjustment now so hopefully I can just match up to the current chain's length and be good to go.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts