Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Learning every day
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Michael and I'm new to the R6 forum so thank you all for having me and taking the time to read my post! I grew up riding dirt-bikes, started off on a little blue 50cc Yamaha and made it up to a KTM 250 before I stopped at about age 14. Last year at 19 I decided to get my motorcycle license and spent the riding season on an older Ninja 250. I put in about 1,000 miles on that 250 and now feel that I'm ready to move up to a 600, could be wrong. A little background about myself sophomore in college in Colorado and also believe myself to have good risk judgment (3 years on the US Development team). I am buying this myself (no more birthday presents from mom and dad ) and have about $5,500 to spend. Another small piece of information, I'm 5'6" 165 pounds, is height a problem on the R6? I've done my research and know that the last overhaul of the R6 was in 2008, is it worth it to shell out more money for an 08+? And what should I expect to pay for a 2006-2007 vs 2008-2009? I apologize in advance if I went about my first post the wrong way!

P.S. My R6 eats me.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
You'll be fine at your height, but the R6 will be tall. Mine with the superbike tail is taller than you might think. I'm about 5'10" with a 32" inseam, and I can't flat foot with both feet.

08+ is the only way to go...I would recommend saving a little bit more for a '08 than spending less than 5500 to get an older one.

Budget ~$1k for gear...good gear if you don't already have it.

·
Learning every day
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll be fine at your height, but the R6 will be tall. Mine with the superbike tail is taller than you might think. I'm about 5'10" with a 32" inseam, and I can't flat foot with both feet.

08+ is the only way to go...I would recommend saving a little bit more for a '08 than spending less than 5500 to get an older one.

Budget ~$1k for gear...good gear if you don't already have it.
High Side, looking at Craigslist now, it seems all of the 09+ R6 are going for $6,500+ which seems a bit ridiculous as they're 7 years old at least, and a new 2014 can be had for $9,199. What value would you place on an '08 R6 with about 7,000 miles? Also, is the YCC-I controlled intake worth $1,000+, because I know that I can get an '07 R6 for $4,300 right now. Thank you all for your time!

P.S. Safety is my number one concern; I want to feel safe and confident on my bike at all times, not cocky.

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 on having good gear, there's to many images of bone poking through skin kicking around here already. I have an 08, flat foot no problem @ 5'10".. but are you sure after 1000 miles on a 250 you're ready to make that jump? It's a beast..have you taken any motorcycle safety courses? Money we'll spent if you have, and I'd suggest it if you haven't.

Good luck on finding you're new bike! I've had mind just over a year now, and it still makes me grin ear to ear, before, during and after every ride. With winter on its way I've been riding as much as I can...put on roughly 8000km this year. Dreading putting her in storage :(
Cheers from Alberta!

Most Wednesdays @ Tim Hortons!

·
Learning every day
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 on having good gear, there's to many images of bone poking through skin kicking around here already. I have an 08, flat foot no problem @ 5'10".. but are you sure after 1000 miles on a 250 you're ready to make that jump? It's a beast..have you taken any motorcycle safety courses? Money we'll spent if you have, and I'd suggest it if you haven't.

Good luck on finding you're new bike! I've had mind just over a year now, and it still makes me grin ear to ear, before, during and after every ride. With winter on its way I've been riding as much as I can...put on roughly 8000km this year. Dreading putting her in storage :(
Cheers from Alberta! /QUOTE]

I took the MSF course to get my license, the 250 just seems slow to me at this point, I grew up riding motorcycles and I've put in a lot of hours on my dad's KTM 450 in addition to the Ninja 250, :bash myself though because I know a motorcycle would destroy me in a second.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
To beat a dead horse...add gear to the price of the bike, just spend the money first go around for good gear, it is well worth it. I bought 2 jackets before realizing I should have just purchased a leather jacket first time (although I love my Icon Hooligan Mesh jacket for those hot summer days, but offers little protection).

I never rode a bike before the beginning of this spring. Bought a 250 and took the MSF course. I had that bike for a few months and logged probably 2k+ miles on that. Started shopping for a 600 came across the R6 and fell in love with the bike. Found a great deal and went for it. I have zero regrets and as far as going from a 250 to 600, the biggest thing is throttle control, and understanding that the brakes are far far better then on the 250 so you really got to be careful to not grab the brakes where normally you might get away with it at times on a 250. When I got on the 600 for the first time I just stayed on the back roads by my house till I got used to the throttle ( which really does not take long and you have more experience with bikes then I ever did).

So go for it...just respect the power and don't ride like a hooligan and you will be just fine.

Oh and don't rush into a purchase. There are some great deals on bikes if you shop around, do your research and have patience...and can save more money while you do so!

Good Luck

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
High Side, looking at Craigslist now, it seems all of the 09+ R6 are going for $6,500+ which seems a bit ridiculous as they're 7 years old at least, and a new 2014 can be had for $9,199. What value would you place on an '08 R6 with about 7,000 miles? Also, is the YCC-I controlled intake worth $1,000+, because I know that I can get an '07 R6 for $4,300 right now. Thank you all for your time!

P.S. Safety is my number one concern; I want to feel safe and confident on my bike at all times, not cocky.
What's your intent for the bike? Are you going to do track days? Do you wanna go racing at some point? Just want to squid around on the streets? Go bombing through the canyons?

The YCCI results in a much better mid-range. If you just wanna cruise around at bike night, it probably doesn't matter much. If you care enough about performance that you'd spend the money for a full exhaust and dyno tune, then spending $1,000 extra to get a newer bike with the YCCI is definitely a good value for what you're getting out of it.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

They are smoking crack on price. But like others said..it all depends on what you wanna do with the bike.

Do you want to go to Tim Hortons on Wednesdays like pictured? :nono

Or do you wanna get into canyon riding/track days?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts