Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 99 R6 and i was curious about synching carbs myself... I dont have any real experience in working on bikes... but would like to work this out myself. Is this somthing that is feasable or much to complicated for a novice?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Heres a how-to I got from another site that might help.

Also download the manual which will help as well. http://www.yzfr6.net/manual/ Go to the R6_manual_chk_adj.pdf

I used a Motion Pro Economy Carb Tuner. You have to "put this tool together" so it costs about $40 less then the Motion Pro Deluxe Carb Tuner. I recommend using the Economy carb tuner because all you do is cut a long piece of hose into four equal lengths, and fill the reservoir with the mercury. You can use the brass fittings that come with the unit, just take off the nut + washer from the fittings, and place the threaded side into the hoses coming off the sync tool. There are two shorter fittings, two longer fittings. It doesn’t matter which hose has which fitting. Also don’t forget the lil plastic restrictors. They have to be as close to the sync tool as possible. I held the hose to the top of the sync tool, marked the hoses where the sync tools plastic ended, then pushed the restrictor to that mark in the hose. That way, all were even and flush against the sync tool's tubes. Tools =

1) www.motionpro.com/Docs/servicetools.html
2) Phillips screwdriver
3) A long thin screwdriver (Flat or Phillips)
4) Pliers (To release hose grips)

This is what I did and it worked out great:

1) Bring the bike up to temp.

2) Shut the bike off, then remove the seat and lift up the tank. Turn the gas off, and then disconnect the main gas line from the tank. (If you keep the hose elevated, the gas should flow down into the motor w/o spilling everywhere.) Remove the other two small hoses, (you don’t have to remember which one goes where) and then remove the tank. (The bike will run without the tank.)

3) Remove the entire air filter assembly. You have to loosen the two ram air input hoses + another hose on the front, and then loosen all the clamps around the carbs plus one other hose on the back. Just take your time, look at what has to be disconnected, and take the whole air filter assembly off.

4) Now you should see the carbs with no problem. The vacuum lines are behind the carbs. Mine were black with a red strip, and are under hoses (You have probably already noticed) which are gas lines. Carb # 2 connects the carb # 4, Carb #1 to Carb # 3. These vacuum lines have a sliver nipple connecting the hoses together. (There is no flow b/w these hoses.) I used the long screwdriver to weasel the hoses from this nipple. Don’t pull on the hoses or your going to have fun trying to put them back on the carb(s).

5) Attach the sync tool hoses to the vacuum lines. The carb hoses should fit perfect into the brass fittings. First tube should be connected to carb one, second tube, carb 2 etc.

6) Start her up. Don’t over rev the bike or mercury will get into the motor. The bike should have started and the sync tool should show you the carb vacuum levels. At this point, they are either even, or like mine were, all out of wack. (Don’t worry, the bike wont run out of gas.)

7) If you look b/w the carbs, you notice the adjust screws. Mine had yellow markings on them. You can verify your looking at the right screws by turning the throttle. If the screws move up as you turn, you’re looking at the right spot.

(Also in the service manual) Adjust carb 1, to carb 2 by turning the screw b/w carb1 and carb 2 in either direction. The mercury will be jumping around a little but get them as even as possible. (Carb 1 should = carb 2 levels.) Then adjust carb 4 to carb 3 by turning the screw b/w carb 4 & 3. (Carb 4 should = carb 3.) Finally, adjust carb 2 to carb 3 by turning the screw b/w carb 2 & 3. (At this point, all carbs should level out and the bike should sound better.) That’s all that’s to it.

Turn the bike off, reconnect all hoses and put the bike back together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my problem when I did that to my bike is that I couldn't get a screw driver to fit between the carbs, so every time I had to adjust them I had to turn the engine off, move the throttle so that the screws point up, then adjust and start the engine up. next time i'm buying a thinner screw driver

·
Ruff
137 Posts
Where do you connect the hoses from the sync tool to the carbs? In the manual it says to disconnect hose marked 1, is this where you make the connection?

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
This should help you out: http://www.biketweakers.com/images/D'sCarbSyncSetup.jpg

I had the same problem with the screw driver. I ended up "pushing" the screw while the bike was running to see what difference it made, then I turned off the bike and adjusted the screw based on that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
the carb screwdriver can be found on ebay for like 10 bucks or so. if not then just buy a long thin screwdriver and you should be fine. i dont have a tuner, so i just did it by sound and how it feels. i know its not right, but its better than the way they used to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts