Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been reading a lot about dialing in suspension for yourself. Is this necessary to do? I am 6' and 200 lbs. My bike is still set to stock suspension settings. Is it necessary or beneficial for me to change the stock settings? Or should I leave them how they are? I would consider myself an intermediate rider and I ride mostly canyon roads, and I ride a short commute to work every now again. Im planning on doing at least 2 track days this season.

:cheers

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yes you would benefit from it. You probably have to much sag and not enough rebound or compression right now. There are how to's for setting sag, or you could wait til your first trackday and pay the suspension guy like 20-30 bucks to set it up for you. Its what I do and it gives you a really nice baseline to start fine tuning from.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You difinitly want to set the bike up to you. I know mine was horrible out of the crate.

DK

·
Registered
56 Posts
Were else is a good place to have this done. I would hate to take it to a slealership and get boned in the a**. Any suggestions?

·
It's a lifestyle
155 Posts
just about any reputable bike shop in your area can help you with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had the same question. I have an 07 R6S, I'm 6' and 220 lbs (I know, I'm working on it!). Ride street daily and canyons whenever I get the chance. Was looking for a shop near Chula Vista.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I only weight like 115 and I wondered if I should have the suspension setup for someone my size.
Aparrently that is a big Yes...
Are there noramlly suspension guys at track days or more likely only on race days?
Also, I thought it cost alot more than 30 bucks to get this done??:confused:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not trying to hijack.... but
What does you bike do when it has too much sag in the front and/or the rear or not enough sag.

What does too much/little compression effect

What does too much/little rebound effect

I guess sag it set by preload?

·
I love German beer.
72 Posts
I am about 5'10" 190 and I have my 07 at stock settings still. Everyone that has taken it out said it feels really stiff. Would adjusting this help with wheelies and other stunts?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not trying to hijack.... but
What does you bike do when it has too much sag in the front and/or the rear or not enough sag.

What does too much/little compression effect

What does too much/little rebound effect

I guess sag it set by preload?
Sag is set by preload. To little sag and the bike wont respond fast enough, kinda sluggish if you will. To stiff and it beats the hell out of you and could bounce the bike off the ground.

Compression is basicly traction and soaking up the bumps. To soft it will bottom out on big bumps and too stiff will bounce you out of the seat and limit traction.

Rebound is how fast the suspention recovers from a bump. To slow and the tire wont go down to grab the road fast enough. The bike will sit low after bumps also. To fast and the bike will bounce up after a bump and feel springy. You want to error on the soft side of rebound.

Start with the settings in the book (mine was not set to these) and go from there. You just have to play with them to feel whats going on. Your not gonna mess your bike up by playing with the settings unless you do somthing stupid like full soft rebound with full hard compression. You will be able to feel a couple of clicks on the adjustments. Do two clicks at a time till you fine what you like.

Hope this helps.
DK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts