Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine races and afterward sells hi stake offs. It seems like there is plenty of tire left but he insists on running new tires anyhow. What is the difference between a brand new tire and a take off? How much of a percentage of their maximum grip do they lose on every lap? how sticky are the race tires half used compared to a tire like a Q3?

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,809 Posts
depends on pace, pressure, and heat cycles.
Fresh tires probably offer about 95% of max grip when at the correct temp... subsequent laps on the same heat cycle for the next 15-25 laps are going to give 100%+ max grip.
Rear tires wear faster than fronts.

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
The question should be "is there enough grip left for me on take offs?" The answer is likely an emphatic YES.
Most race tires will provide plenty of grip down to the end of the dots (wear indicator) for most people. Case in point: we have run the 200 mile TC at Daytona, NJMP and Summit on one rear tire. Daytona was a special compound though. Ive run CMP tires down to the end on a practice day. I'll also use take offs to coach on.
Sure, you have to adjust as the grip falls off. But one guy riding at 80% might be another riding at his 100%

1 - 4 of 4 Posts