Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
aaachocolate Ahhhsausssss
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to bikes and 6's and i was wondering, is it bad to remove the cat from your bike? I know it would make the bike sound 100x better i am just curious from a mechanical perspective should everything continue to run properly, even after i put on a slip-on?

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
getting rid of the cat is fine, but get a power commander/fuel module.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Yup^^^

But to be more specific, youd need to re-map/tune it to accomodate the loss of back pressure from removing the cat...

The re-map/tune would be interfaced through a fuel controller (Dynojet or Bazzaz)
Basically the fuel controller bypasses the stock map and O2 sensor..

·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so basically i am straight piping it by putting in the y-pipe and i need to get the PC, thanks guys! really appreciate the feedback

Just out curiosity, what would happen if i put a Y-pipe in and didnt use a pc to re-map?

·
YAMMY BEAST!
314 Posts
check engine light will come on at high RPMs... ur O2 sensor will pick up the Richness (?) of the fuel, it will turn off if you turn the bike off or just drive at lower RPMs (cruise)
or just get a FI controller to correct the issue (ie: PC, Bazzaz,Dynatek)

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
^excess fuel, insane decel pop, shoot flames, damage engine (if prolonged) and i believe a loss of HP (not sure though, remember reading somewhere).

·
YAMMY BEAST!
314 Posts
^excess fuel, insane decel pop, shoot flames, damage engine (if prolonged) and i believe a loss of HP (not sure though, remember reading somewhere).
+1
prolonged time frame of riding without correct "tune" will
valve stacks to burn, due to the excess fuel being burned

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Do it! It's not like your going to keep the bike forever. It'll only matter when you hit the 40k and up mileage, then maybe you'll notice motor/exhaust issues. But, by then you'll sell the bike and the next mofo will have to deal with this issue.

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
You won't make it more than a couple miles with a straight pipe before getting pulled over.

Hasn't been mentioned or asked yet, what year is the bike?

·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the bike is a 2007 R6
so it could really mess up the bike all in all

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
You're golden bro! Tons of people do this mod. My buddy just swapped headers off his 09 gsxr with the older model and got a 2 bros slip. Crazy loud but works.

Watch out for an FI code. You might get one for the exhaust servo or something.

·
candy red
7,505 Posts
Do it! It's not like your going to keep the bike forever. It'll only matter when you hit the 40k and up mileage, then maybe you'll notice motor/exhaust issues. But, by then you'll sell the bike and the next mofo will have to deal with this issue.
r u serious right now? you can either get a y pipe or you can get headers off a 2nd gen r6 and take it to a muffler shop and have them weld on a outlet piece to make it smaller and come out the side. but be sure to run a pc3 or bazzaz. it will effect your bike if you dont.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
So what's your decision?

·
YAMMY BEAST!
314 Posts
You're golden bro! Tons of people do this mod. My buddy just swapped headers off his 09 gsxr with the older model and got a 2 bros slip. Crazy loud but works.

Watch out for an FI code. You might get one for the exhaust servo or something.
+1

ive already done this.. CEL comes on for either or both the O2 sensor and/or servo motor.. servo motor CEL code can be eliminiated with servo plug
or just leave the motor in and remove the cables

1 - 17 of 17 Posts