Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, it's me the noobie again. Has anyone taken the Advanced rider course with thier r6? I'm required to do it within 60 days of doing my Brc. Just wondering what to expect and any tips to be ready for it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds like a military requirement. I took the basic and advanced rider course. The advanced rider course focuses on leaning the bike over at lower speeds, the "box" (figure 8), shifting, and weaving in and out of the cones. Don't be shocked when your r6 feels like a heavy pig on the course. I FEEL like it was made for a nimble 250.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
It's easy peasy. Get some cones and set up your own parking lot drills and work on it in the evenings/weekends. Just a couple of hours will do wonders in your confidence of handling the bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn that box. I did so bad on my Brc when I did it with my r6. There was another r6 that was there struggling too. It's annoying because I don't have a problem maneuvering the bike when riding on the street. At the course I look like an idiot

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Damn that box. I did so bad on my Brc when I did it with my r6. There was another r6 that was there struggling too. It's annoying because I don't have a problem maneuvering the bike when riding on the street. At the course I look like an idiot
It's not the bike that's struggling. ;)

What part of the box are you struggling with? Making the turn? Being stable on the bike?

Couple of key things to focus on:

1) Look where you want to go. Always. Trying to make a U turn? Turn your head around as far as you possibly can. Try it sitting at your desk. What do your shoulders naturally do? They turn also. So you're turning the bars without actually thinking about turning the bars.

2) Clutch control. Master the friction zone.

3) Counter weight for the tight turns. Sit your ass on the right side of the bike if you're making a left turn. It'll allow you to "dip" the bike without falling over.

4) Ride the rear brake, along with mastering the friction zone on the clutch. Riding the rear brake will make the bike way, way more stable in slow maneuvers. The clutch should be working against the brake ever so slightly. If the bike gets unstable, use the rear brake. It WILL upright the bike and stable things out.

Practice, practice, practice.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I can finish top 5 in an amateur club race no problem. I coach racers and advanced/expert track riders every weekend. I run a racing school for my TD org and I don't think I could pass the motorcycle license test on an r6. I'm so sure I would put a foot down at some point during the test. :laugh

When I got my license I rented a scooter for the test. There's a guy around here who offers a service where he will meet you at the DMV an hour before test time. He has a mini course setup in a lot nearby. He coaches you through it, then you use his scooter for the test itself. $75. Best $75 I've ever spent.

And the people running the test know what he does and give a bit of leniency to the students as well. I would have failed if not for that leniency. There are usually no second chances in the test and I got one.

I was a great rider without any issues on any given day. But the modern sport bike does not like being under 5 mph in a tight circle.

I would explore some of these options.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can finish top 5 in an amateur club race no problem. I coach racers and advanced/expert track riders every weekend. I run a racing school for my TD org and I don't think I could pass the motorcycle license test on an r6. I'm so sure I would put a foot down at some point during the test.

When I got my license I rented a scooter for the test. There's a guy around here who offers a service where he will meet you at the DMV an hour before test time. He has a mini course setup in a lot nearby. He coaches you through it, then you use his scooter for the test itself. $75. Best $75 I've ever spent.

And the people running the test know what he does and give a bit of leniency to the students as well. I would have failed if not for that leniency. There are usually no second chances in the test and I got one.

I was a great rider without any issues on any given day. But the modern sport bike does not like being under 5 mph in a tight circle.

I would explore some of these options.
If it's the last thing I do, I'm determined to get to the point where I can easily pass the test on my r6. If I'm riding it as my primary motorcycle I think it's messed up that I can't do these basic things easily. That being said I had my Honda CBR 250R available for my license test and passed it with no deductions :) I guess I can thank the MSF class for preparing me for success.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
The tips High Side presented are key to maneuverability.

You can't just "sit stiff" and have to be able to move your entire body to consistently get the bike through the cones. I purposefully set the cones closer than what the test demanded and was eventually able to figure it out... with a LOT of patience and persistence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My R6 didn't like the advanced rider course at all, the bike was too heavy for all the turns, I then used my Yamaha VX 250 for the DMV riding test, got the licence in 10 minutes by one shot.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This part kills me on the box... try this.... walking your bike, attempt to do the figure 8... you will be outside the box

1 - 10 of 10 Posts