Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I'm new here. I had a question about sprockets. Has anyone ever gone the OTHER direction with their sprockets, aka taller gearing instead of shorter? This is my first bike, and I'm a little concerned about the huge power of the bike. I want something that will temporarily allow me to start off with a little less torque but easily move back to higher performance when I get comfortable with the bike. I know you are thinking that I should get a kawi ninja 250, but i just don't want one. I'm also looking to get engine rpm down when I'm cruising at highway speeds to increase engine life and gas mileage because i will be doing a lot of highway miles.

considering that this is a repost due to some unfriendly members getting offended that i asked a question in their post, i would appreciate only helpful, constructive comments. thank you.

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
you can do it, but seriously dude, it's better to just learn to ride the bike as is. your gas mileage will stay the same because you'll be loading the engine at lower rpm's which will actually reduce engine life and your bike will feel gutless. i know you don't want to hear it but a smaller engine is the only way to save gas aside from weight reduction.

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
Buy a 250 or 500 and ride it for a year. I don't care if you don't want one of those bikes, my advice will never change. :D
i agree, but wouldn't listen to the guy who (if he had proper body position) has his over the double yellow, getting ready to have it lopped off by the next unseen upcoming car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
These bikes are grossly underpowered at low RPM's As long as you don't grab a hand full of throttle at any point I can't see why you would need to do anything to the bike. This is my second bike. I think this one is easier to ride than my first bike because it is slow off the line (unless you launch it at 8K+).
Part of riding and getting better is the experience. No matter what and how long you ride going to a faster bigger bike will always have scary moments. Its up to you to learn from those moments and learn your limitations. In most cases the bikes limitations will far exceed yours for quite a while. Just take your time, be safe, have fun, and enjoy the ride.:YEA

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, I appreciate the input. looks like i'll keep the stock gearing :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts