Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to increase my post count in a constructive way, here are the tank grips that I have put on my R6.

The centre pad is a Quattroerre (made in Italy) and the sides are StompGrip (made in USA). Both are awesome quality, no peeling or other issues, even in 30C+ direct sun.

Cheers
James

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those actually look really good. I've been looking all day for a tank pad and grips. I was thinking of the techspec ones but I will probably end up with the stompgrip after seeing these.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got Techspec sides on my VFR. Pretty happy with them, too. If your bike isn't black or wouldn't look good with black grips, I could see going for the clear ones, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love the Stomp Grips. There's almost no meat to them (so they're flush with the tank) and they provide crazy amounts of grip! They're cheap too and are supplied by most all big-name US and EU motorcycle parts vendors. Just ordered a set this weekend speaking of em' :grin:

·
Things and stuffs
6 Posts
I'ma big fan of Stomp Grip.

I never had any luck with techspec.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! Still loving the grips. About 5000km in, and they are holding up very nicely.

It does seem, however, that the tank side panels (the panels that sit just under the tank) are rather fragile, on account of the tab that is used to secure the panel to the tank with a screw. Once that tab fractures, nothing is holding the panel on anymore, and it just falls off the bike.

See https://www.r6-forum.com/threads/r6-2k7-side-tank-panels.79288/

Apparently, it happens to everyone eventually, BUT adding the tank grips accelerates the process, as the added leg-to-panel grip stresses the tab even more.

Fortunately for me, this happened at the end of a ride, so I did not lose the panel. I applied the zip tie trick mentioned in the thread above. Repeated it with the panel on the opposite side, which already was showing a hairline crack.

If you're looking at putting on tank grips, you may want to secure the side panels so they don't fall off!!

Pics of the broken tab, zip tie fix, and everything back together. You cannot see the zip tie once the seat is back in place:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts