Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So In the process of getting on the freeway I managed to have my first real tank slapper...... Here's the good part I have a steering damper. A Hyperpro Rsc active damper. It has 22 settings and I was at 6 when it happened and It lasted maybe 4 seconds.
So my question is did my damper do its job and stop it? or did me cutting the throttle stop it? I'm pretty sure I cut the throttle and once it stopped I got back on it but it all happened so fast I'm really not 100% sure what happened:confused:
Does anyone have any insight onto this?

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
I do believe cutting the throttle actually makes it worse (more weight on the front tire) so the damper probably did work.

·
Sixer
34 Posts
I am Curious to know more how it happened, how fast and the type of on-ramp? I think I should get a damper, but I dont ride extremely crazy, so I have been putting it off.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
i've gotten tank slappers, when i go super duper hard on the front brakes

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am Curious to know more how it happened, how fast and the type of on-ramp? I think I should get a damper, but I dont ride extremely crazy, so I have been putting it off.
It was mostly straight then kinda logs to the right before straighting out again then leading up to the freeway. I was in 2nd at about 10 grand shifting into 3rd. I shifted right after going to the right. Id say its maybe 200 yards long total.

If anyone is in San Diego its the highland valley road exit getting on the 15 south.

·
Registered
767 Posts
That sucks, it's weird since you have a damper... but yeah, usually you want to roll on the throttle to take the weight off of the front wheel, if you're able to think fast enough.

I've had one tank slapper (in 11k miles, still no damper yet), i was on a small road with lots of potholes; usually I dodge them but there was a big truck coming, and I had to go through one of the big bumps. All of a sudden the bike started throwing me back and forth, but it stopped after a couple seconds. I realized right afterward that i had too much weight on my wrists (i was on a 2 mile ride home from work, wasn't thinking, unfortunately) instead of supporting myself with my knees on the tank.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
The damper HELPS you to not have a slapper like that, it isnt going to be 100% full proof. Kinda like condoms...

·
Do Work!
999 Posts
I don't want to jack the thread but I have a hyperpro also and was wondering if it is normal that the damper isn't tight. What I mean by this is that I can grab the middle of the damper and move it a little up and down (towards the front and rear of the bike). All the screws are tight, I was just wondering if this was normal.

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The damper HELPS you to not have a slapper like that, it isnt going to be 100% full proof. Kinda like condoms...
Nice comparison:fact I guess I never really thought of it that way.

I don't want to jack the thread but I have a hyperpro also and was wondering if it is normal that the damper isn't tight. What I mean by this is that I can grab the middle of the damper and move it a little up and down (towards the front and rear of the bike). All the screws are tight, I was just wondering if this was normal.
Its normal. I tightened it down to the specs outlined in the instructions with a torque wrench and mines the same way.

·
Registered
183 Posts
you did exactly what you're not supposed to do. When you get into a tank slapper, last thing you want is more weight on the front wheel so you're supposed to accelerate hard to get the front wheel lighter for itself to straighten back up. So yes, I would say your damper saved you

·
Registered
5 Posts
you did exactly what you're not supposed to do. When you get into a tank slapper, last thing you want is more weight on the front wheel so you're supposed to accelerate hard to get the front wheel lighter for itself to straighten back up. So yes, I would say your damper saved you
No bro this will get you into a really bad situation... When you get a tank slapper, the front wheel moves from side to side - this motion results in the back wheel also moving under you, getting on the gas is the last thing you'd want to do. I've had about 4 bad tank slappers in these couple of months that I had my R6( No steering damper lol I'm trying to get one as soon as possible) and I found that in order to save yourself you need to slow down, put your weight forward( Not on your wrist - grip the bike with your legs) and keep your arms as loose as possible. The bike will find it's line (because you're loose and not fighting the bars) and hopefully you'll come out a wiser person and not ride fast lol

·
Still trying to eat my R6
157 Posts
I've always thought that once in a tank slapper you should loosen your grip and throttle it out? I've had a few slappers myself but once I fixed my body positioning and watched my grip on my handlebars, it's been all good.

Reactions: TurboBlew

·
Registered
238 Posts
It was mostly straight then kinda logs to the right before straighting out again then leading up to the freeway. I was in 2nd at about 10 grand shifting into 3rd. I shifted right after going to the right. Id say its maybe 200 yards long total.

If anyone is in San Diego its the highland valley road exit getting on the 15 south.

A motorcycle with a steering damper will still shake if the rider is tight on the bars. Also, chopping the throttle is the worst thing you can do, along with gripping the bars tighter, because it puts more weight on the front. The best thing you can do is squeeze the tank with your knees, lighten up on the bars and keep the throttle steady or roll on (hard to do when your survival reactions kick in). Most likely what caused the headshake in the first place was holding too tightly to the bars.

You can read more about tank slappers here:

How does a motorcycle automatically compensate for a tank slapper if there is no rider getting in the way? :nerd::grin:

·
No guts no glory!
32 Posts
A motorcycle with a steering damper will still shake if the rider is tight on the bars. Also, chopping the throttle is the worst thing you can do, along with gripping the bars tighter, because it puts more weight on the front. The best thing you can do is squeeze the tank with your knees, lighten up on the bars and keep the throttle steady or roll on (hard to do when your survival reactions kick in). Most likely what caused the headshake in the first place was holding too tightly to the bars.

You can read more about tank slappers here:

How does a motorcycle automatically compensate for a tank slapper if there is no rider getting in the way? :nerd::grin:
???what Misti said?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts