Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an off at the track this last weekend caused by a tank slapper putting me into the grass. I fared far better than the bike. Destroyed the subframe, some bodywork, fairing stay, clip-ons, one rearset, and tank (which I found out later punched a hole in the air box). I walked away with minor aches and pains. Probably would have been prevented had I installed a damper, but any excess headshake I've experienced before this was corrected by reducing uneccesary steering input. Now that it's a few days after the wreck, I've got two questions regarding repair and what caused the incident, would appriciate all help possible.

1. When I pulled off the tank, I found the top half of the airbox had a hole in it. When I pulled the airbox, I found plastic sitting ontop of the 1st cylinder's butterfly valve in the throttle bodies. I had started the bike at the track after the wreck to see if the motor would run, but it's only running on three cylinders (the dead cylinder is #4). While I think the pastic over cylinder #1 fell when I was taking off the tank and airbox, I imagine some of the pastic could have gotten into the cylinders when I started the bike and possibly during the wreck as well. I plan on pulling the motor to remove the cylinder head and look for any bits that made their way though; should I worry about going any deeper than that? Any other advice? Rest of the motor looks fine on initial inspection.

2. Before I go back to the track with a fixed bike, I want to figure out what caused my wreck. I was experiencing excess headshake under acceleration over the course of the few laps I did, but the bike was handling fine everywhere else. I made the mistake of not making any geometry changes when I switched my tires before this day (went from Q3s to Supersports), but that was the only thing different between days and it didn't seem to affect any other steering characteristics too drastically. I've already checked both wheels for balance post-wreck, and they seem fine. I will be getting a damper before I get back to the track and I know excess bar input was probably the cause for the tank slapper starting, but I've never experienced it as violent this and the bike was handling normal everywhere else, which leads me to believe it's partially set-up related. I'm at a loss as to what changes I could have made to help reduce the headshake I had, that wouldn't have drastically changed the handling of the bike in other areas.

All input is appriciated. Thanks.

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
Hey, I think my buddy and I came up to you in the paddock after you wrecked to make sure you were alright. I was the asian guy with glasses that was limping due to a sprained ankle from crashing on Saturday. Glad you faired out much better than your bike did.

I can't give you any advice on the engine since I don't know crap about them :laugh, but I'm sure someone who knows will help you out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I think my buddy and I came up to you in the paddock after you wrecked to make sure you were alright. I was the asian guy with glasses that was limping due to a sprained ankle from crashing on Saturday. Glad you faired out much better than your bike did.

I can't give you any advice on the engine since I don't know crap about them :laugh, but I'm sure someone who knows will help you out.
Yeah, thanks man. Got a pretty stiff neck and my left hand and wrist need some healing time, but other than that I'm not that bad off. From the stories I've heard, I had a better weekend than a couple of guys that went down Saturday. Hope the rest of your weekend went smooth.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
You could always pull the plug and take a look through there with a borescope. (Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to look at all of the cylinders since you never know what got sucked in)

Do you know what is causing the dead cylinder? I'd take a look at the obvious before tearing the bike apart. Could be as simple as a broken wire on the coil/plug.

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
Yeah, thanks man. Got a pretty stiff neck and my left hand and wrist need some healing time, but other than that I'm not that bad off. From the stories I've heard, I had a better weekend than a couple of guys that went down Saturday. Hope the rest of your weekend went smooth.
Yea I didn't ride Sunday, but N2 gave me credits for it which was awesome of them.

Good luck with the rebuild!

P.S. I just realized, I've been subscribed to your Youtube channel for awhile now haha

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could always pull the plug and take a look through there with a borescope. (Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to look at all of the cylinders since you never know what got sucked in)

Do you know what is causing the dead cylinder? I'd take a look at the obvious before tearing the bike apart. Could be as simple as a broken wire on the coil/plug.
Not sure yet, but have been checking it out as I go. All I've gotten around to is pulling of the broken bits, airbox, and throttle bodies. Next step was to pull the coils and plugs, and probably drop the radiator. At first glance from the top I didn't see anything wrong the harness or coils, but I'll take a better look at them next time I go into the garage.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
This is probably not the answer, but I experienced two butt-puckering headshakes after I switched to the SuperSports. Accelerating out of a turn, probably hanging on too tight. I'm not blaming the tires, just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I didn't ride Sunday, but N2 gave me credits for it which was awesome of them.

Good luck with the rebuild!

P.S. I just realized, I've been subscribed to your Youtube channel for awhile now haha
Haha, thanks dude. Hopefully it wont take too long. It's pretty blatant how heavy-handed I am with the throttle on shifts in some of those videos; probably a big reason as to why I went down. That and beave is choppy as hell coming out of turn 8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts