Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2010 R6 which will be my dedicated track bike. One of the first things I want to purchase before I kick off this 2015 season is a set of tank sliders.

From speaking with other fellow track riders and some initial cursory research, it appears that the ETI offering has the most full coverage and is secured with two bolts per side. This is in contrast to smaller sliders which attach with adhesive like R&G or Traxxion. However, I am not fond of the fact that the ETI sliders will require some paint and finishing work to look proper.

So this question goes out to other members who have used one or more of the above brands or seen them in action in a wreck. I want to know if the smaller sliders that attach with adhesive are a decent solution, or if I would be a fool not to just get the ETI sliders and deal with the finishing work.

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
the smaller ones will get you through tech. however, most lowsides (or worse) that i've seen of bikes with them on end up having one or both ripped off during the crash. then the tank gets dented/punctured.

i'm sure there are stories of successful get-offs with the stick on small ones, but man, i wouldn't take the chance.

this belief in ETI as the best option is why i sell them on my site. :D i don't sell anything i wouldn't (or don't) run myself.

http://www.aggracing.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=72

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Spend the money on the ETI sliders. You may pass tech and prevent a fire with the small ones, but your chance of keeping your tank dent free are pretty small.

The ETI sliders usually have two bolts up front and use the OEM one at the front. You'll have to drill holes in the painted front plastic tank cover. Just buy a spare off ebay if you don't want to mess up the nice one you have.

My only gripe with them is that they do have the unfinished inside part that contacts the painted part of the tank. This left some small marks on one of my tanks around the edge of the slider. To keep this from happening any longer, I plan on putting some small pieces of rubber on the tank side to let the slider rub on that. I think those little stick-on feet they sell at craft stores for bowls/vases would probably work well. I don't want to put them on the inside of th slider because they any dust that gets between them and the tank will just rub the tank.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Dedicated track bike = do it right and get the ETI.

There are also full tank covers FYI if you'd rather buy and paint that. I have not seen them in person to know how well they crash.

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have all convinced me, and thank you for the quick feedback.

I will be ordering a set of the ETI tank sliders and may also go ahead and get a fresh tank cover to deal with the need for screw holes.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
All those junk fuel tanks with dents you see for $100 or so... that's where the $180 ETI tank sliders come in handy! :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ive seen the smaller ones get ripped off during crashes. It's once of those scenarios where, it MIGHT work, it MIGHT NOT work. For a dedicated track bike, go the better route, get the ETI Tank Protectors and be done with it.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
You have all convinced me, and thank you for the quick feedback.

I will be ordering a set of the ETI tank sliders and may also go ahead and get a fresh tank cover to deal with the need for screw holes.
FWIW I also put a couple of layers of fiberglass on the backside of my front cover where the holes are, and used some fender washers. I like the ETI sliders, but having them bolted to a piece of plastic doesn't give me much confidence.

With the way I have it now, if they come off the bike will probably be a total loss anyways.

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW I also put a couple of layers of fiberglass on the backside of my front cover where the holes are, and used some fender washers. I like the ETI sliders, but having them bolted to a piece of plastic doesn't give me much confidence.
I was wondering about that myself.

While I prefer the bolts over the adhesive method, I still have to wonder if 2 little bolts per side is enough when it comes to a potentially violent wreck.

You have any pictures handy?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts

With the way I have it now, if they come off the bike will probably be a total loss anyways.
in a yard sale crash... reusing anything will be the least of your worries.

That being said... mine took a hit on the highside (of a left turn) and did not move or elongate the cover holes. The screw on the back side under the seat keeps it pretty snug.
I suggest red loctite there since there are so few threads and sustained high rpm operation will vibrate them loose.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I was wondering about that myself.

While I prefer the bolts over the adhesive method, I still have to wonder if 2 little bolts per side is enough when it comes to a potentially violent wreck.

You have any pictures handy?
Sorry, I'll see if I can remember to snap a few the next time I'm in the garage.

in a yard sale crash... reusing anything will be the least of your worries.

That being said... mine took a hit on the highside (of a left turn) and did not move or elongate the cover holes. The screw on the back side under the seat keeps it pretty snug.
I suggest red loctite there since there are so few threads and sustained high rpm operation will vibrate them loose.
Yeah, very true. I was just worried about backing up the bolts since the cover I had and the ETI sliders were both second hand, and had holes drilled in different spots. So I just beefed it up to be safe. I have another set of ETI sliders and front cover that are painted up really nice and I probably won't bother doing anything with them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quick question, do the ETI sliders come with 3M on the inside part? If not, that would probably help with the tank scratches mentioned earlier and keep them in place. I'm sure they do, but figured I would mention it on this thread.

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
not that i know of... but like a previous poster said, any rubberized "liner" or pad would work perfectly. just spray some "flexseal" on the inside and then let it dry. now you have a rubberized liner attached to the slider. boom.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Quick question, do the ETI sliders come with 3M on the inside part? If not, that would probably help with the tank scratches mentioned earlier and keep them in place. I'm sure they do, but figured I would mention it on this thread.
No they do not. I pulled mine off this year, and even after 'testing' the slider, it still hasn't scratched up the tank after a 2,500+ mile track season.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
3M what? 3M makes thousands of different products.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
not that i know of... but like a previous poster said, any rubberized "liner" or pad would work perfectly. just spray some "flexseal" on the inside and then let it dry. now you have a rubberized liner attached to the slider. boom.
or Id imagine some clear bra urethane would work too.

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
No they do not. I pulled mine off this year, and even after 'testing' the slider, it still hasn't scratched up the tank after a 2,500+ mile track season.
I'd be interested to see what my tank looks like. I had a buddy (but with an 07) and he said his set got scratched pretty nicely....

Meh.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are flimsy plastic tank sliders and then there MOTO-D Carbon Fiber (Kevlar) Tank Sliders that will protect your R6 and R1 tank from damage and rupture (fire in a crash). Fore more info www.motodracing.com

1 - 20 of 49 Posts