Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Death to chicken strips
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

R6 noob here, I'm buying an '08 R6 from this guy and he's been going back and forth on the year....the title doesn't expire confidence either because titles list the manufacture year (07), not the actual model year.....

My question is, are there any telltale visual differences between 07 and 08?
I know from research that the major change for 2007 was the introduction of Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake....is there any way I can tell that my bike has YCC-I?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
lots of tell tale signs... first and foremost the VIN stamp on the frame side.

08 parts could be retrofitted to the older models. The VIn is the ultimate identifyer

·
Death to chicken strips
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My concern with the VIN is that one of the previous owners may have swapped out frames....I'm getting this bike really cheap from this guy that used it only on the track. He says he built the bike together from parts...but that the bike is mostly 08.

It looks like the best way to distinguish post 08 bikes from pre 08 bikes is by the YCC Intake, but I have no idea how to check if the bike actually has this feature.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
My concern with the VIN is that one of the previous owners may have swapped out frames....I'm getting this bike really cheap from this guy that used it only on the track. He says he built the bike together from parts...but that the bike is mostly 08.

It looks like the best way to distinguish post 08 bikes from pre 08 bikes is by the YCC Intake, but I have no idea how to check if the bike actually has this feature.
Just based on this info... why would you even want the bike? And no... I have an 07 with the YCC setup but you couldnt tell by looking.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Are you looking for differences between 06 and 07 or 07 and 08? I'm confused. The bike you are talking about could be manufactured in 07 and be an 08 model year. i have an early 06 model and it has 'Manufactured in 2005' right on the frame spar label. Not sure if that answers your question.

06-07 are indentical aside from tach.
07-08 there are plenty of visual differences to tell which is which. Look at the front end and notice the mini running light in the center of the nose, as the biggest clue. They are shaped quite a bit different from 08+

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Are you looking for differences between 06 and 07 or 07 and 08? I'm confused.
Yeah, the title of the thread and text in the body are a bit contradictory.

OP, do you know this guy and trust this guy? Sounds like this bike is a bit of a mess. So if you trust that it's all good and it's a good deal, go for it. Otherwise I agree that you should skip it and move on to the next one.
If he built the bike himself from parts and knew what he was doing he should be able to tell you all the specific information you need, including where the motor and frame came from with papers.

·
Death to chicken strips
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oops, I'm a dumbass. I meant 07 vs 08. I just revised the text.

Truth is, I'm getting the bike for next to nothing. I just want to know that it is indeed an 08.
So it sounds like I should look at the center of the nose....anything else?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oops, I'm a dumbass. I meant 07 vs 08. I just revised the text.

Truth is, I'm getting the bike for next to nothing. I just want to know that it is indeed an 08.
So it sounds like I should look at the center of the nose....anything else?
All good lol. I see now. But ya, like I said, mine says Manufactured in 2005, up near the headtube and it is an 06. So if that one says 07, then it is either an 07 or 08. As far as visual clues, actually if you look in my sig, the bike on the left is my actual 06. The pic on the right in the bg is a stock Yam photo of an 08+ front. You can really see a good side by side comparison. There are other small differences all through the bodywork, between the 2 years, but I think the front plastics, mirrors and windscreen are the most obvious at a glance.

·
Death to chicken strips
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
does it matter if its a 07 or a 08 if you getting it for that cheap?

Lol i suppose not. It's 3k, which isn't much at all for a working bike, but on the same time it isn't chump change, you know.

·
Sharknato
132 Posts
Why don't you jus post a pic of the bike??

·
Rotten Hot Sweat Balls
509 Posts
Hope this helps, posted in another thread.

There is a indentation on the frame that is slightly different between 07 to 08 R6 models. The distance between the red arrows on the 07 model is less then the 08 model.

08 ferrings will not mount to 07 frame properly, screw hole between red arrows does not align between the two models

Attachments

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
i guess an easy way to tell is at where the mirror is located. 08+ would be more on the top/windscreen side while 06/07 would be on the front faring..

not too sure so correct me if im wrong guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you can check out the actual fairings like look at them by removing them or wiggling them my buddy has an 08 and I have an 07. The biggest and most notable difference I noticed was the undertail fairings. The 07 is one piece and the 08 are 2 separate pieces that come together. Windshield bolts too 07 are on top of the windscreen and he was telling me his were underneath. And of course the center eye will be different as someone already mentioned

1 - 16 of 16 Posts