Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took off my can to bring over a friends cause he wanted to test fit it on his bike.. But then stupid me forgot it there.

Tomorrow is supposed to be real nice weather after days and days of rain, and is supposed to be followed by days and days more of rain.

Would it hurt if I did about 100 miles? I'd have to go to one job, then go to the next, then go home ~ 100miles.

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
It will not hurt it. The can that you took off is not really the muffler. The big box under the bike is the muffler. Yami calls it the midship muffler. The can serves to house the ex-up valve and additional sound damping.

In short, you could run it with out the can for the rest of the time you own the bike and it will be fine.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
he has a 05, the can is our muffler, alot different than the 06+
I am curious as the the answer as well. I dont think it will hurt other than you will have no backpressure, but i am not sure

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am curious as the the answer as well. I dont think it will hurt other than you will have no backpressure, but i am not sure
Yea, pre '06 doesn't have that junk in there before the slip on.

That's the thing.. What would not having proper backpressure cause?

·
Blue past you
315 Posts
I have a 06 and i have been riding all season so far without a can on mine. It doesnt effect anything just a lil bit louder than the gtyr. And it hasnt hurt my bike at all. I like the nice clean look of no can.

·
Mine'z Faster!!!
382 Posts
I have an 06 r6r and there are two wires that connect to the can.
What are they there for and what do they do?
Will it hurt my bike if i run it without the can?

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
damn thats one loud ass ride....wherever you go.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
the can doesn't provide that much back pressure on an 05 they're are aftermarket gp style mufflers that have no back pressure what so ever so i don't think it will hurt any

***BUT i wouldn't do it... that shit is loud as all hell i started mine up a bit when i had my muffler off my ears wouldn't stop ringing

plus its against the law

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, it definitely doesn't sound like a great idea. And like everyone says, that sound is killer. I rode mine for about 1/4 mile just to try it out, and even with a helmet my right ear was hurting pretty bad. And you WILL get pulled over going that far with that much noise.

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Sorry. Didn't realize.

Yea, pre '06 doesn't have that junk in there before the slip on.

That's the thing.. What would not having proper backpressure cause?
See below

I have an 06 r6r and there are two wires that connect to the can.
What are they there for and what do they do?
Will it hurt my bike if i run it without the can?
They are the ex-up valve cable. And no. See post #2

I wouldn't do it. I dont think you could last 100 miles anyway before either getting a ticket or going deaf.

Who knows what it will do to your motor.
It would not do anything harmfull to the motor.

Mufflers often (if only slightly) reduce power. When using a typical freeflowing (aftermarket) exhaust "backpressure" is nonexistent. The term "backpressure' is very often misused or misunderstood. Exhaust theory is a bit too involved to fully explain here. But no matter how much genius engineering goes into an exhaust design, it always comes down to testing (on a dyno). If it makes more without a muffler, so be it.

Running a straight pipe will not hurt your motor. At most it may cause a ruch situation, but all that will do is make the motor runn cooler and cause some fuel to ignight in the pipe on decel.

·
Will work for track time
19,491 Posts
Sorry. Didn't realize.

See below

They are the ex-up valve cable. And no. See post #2

It would not do anything harmfull to the motor.

Mufflers often (if only slightly) reduce power. When using a typical freeflowing (aftermarket) exhaust "backpressure" is nonexistent. The term "backpressure' is very often misused or misunderstood. Exhaust theory is a bit too involved to fully explain here. But no matter how much genius engineering goes into an exhaust design, it always comes down to testing (on a dyno). If it makes more without a muffler, so be it.

Running a straight pipe will not hurt your motor. At most it may cause a ruch situation, but all that will do is make the motor runn cooler and cause some fuel to ignight in the pipe on decel.
But running rich can cause your plugs to foul = no good.

From NKG's website:

Many factors can contribute to spark plug fouling. The air/fuel ratio may be too rich as a result of incorrect carburetor adjustment or a poorly performing fuel injection system. Worn piston rings or valve seals may allow too much oil to leak into the combustion chamber, leading to oil fouling. The ignition system may not be performing properly. Prolonged idling or continuous low-speed driving may keep the spark plug from reaching its optimum operating temperature. Using too cold a spark plug can lead to the same problem. Finally, a dirty air cleaner can create a too-rich condition which can lead to fouling.

·
Mine'z Faster!!!
382 Posts
Its not any louder but its got a deeper sound to it so its not annoying loud.

But i still need to know what that ex-up valve dose and will it hurt my bike
if its not there anymore?

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
Dose anyone out there know what an ex-up valve dose,
And is it important!!!!
Are you retarded?!?!?!? do you even read anything anyone has written in response to this question from you 40 different times on multiple threads?? IT IS A VALVE THAT MORE OR LESS CONTROLS THE SOUND AND GIVES THE BIKE A LITTLE BIT OF BACK PRESSURE AT LOW RPM'S AND OPENS UP AT HIGHER RPMS. NO, IT IS NOT NEEDED, YOU CAN TAKE IT OFF OR LEAVE IT ON, IT DOESNT MATTER. IS THAT ENOUGH INFO?!?!?!?!?!?!? ...... you can still take it off now,...... and you can take it off now if you want,...... and even now too. point taken? :poke

·
Registered
56 Posts
Been running mine for about 2 months without them hooked up. It hasnt hurt is at all.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
...YOU CAN TAKE IT OFF OR LEAVE IT ON, IT DOESNT MATTER. IS THAT ENOUGH INFO?!?!?!?!?!?!? ...... you can still take it off now,...... and you can take it off now if you want,...... and even now too...
whoo-sahhh... whoo-sahhh. ;)

from what i've read (not just here) i understand that you CAN run basically straight pipes, but with the stock map you might run a bit rich/lean. just drive over to your buddies house, pick it up, and put it on, THEN ride. that way you don't have to worry about fouling plugs, or even worse, getting pulled over for a noise violation (or whatever they call it in your area).

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
:werd

1 - 20 of 25 Posts