Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Read Only
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm a n00b. I just started riding, so I'm still getting the hang of everything.

My question is as stated: What is the BEST or CORRECT way to shift up AND down? What's the best RPM's to up-shift and at what MPH??

I don't want to burn up my clutch in a year.
Any positive input would be GREATLY appreciated.

I already looked at shifting techniques and read the manual with suggested shifting blah blah. I just want YOUR input. I'll be riding around the city mostly. Top speed will probably be 55.......:D

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Go by feel if it feels like you need to shift then shift. Don't worry about what the manual says, our bikes aren't meant to shift at 2500 rpms and run in 6th gear at 45mph. Get to know how your bike feels and reacts at different rpms and what it likes and doesn't like when down shifting. Every bike has it's likes and dislikes you just have to learn yours.

It's all about how the bike feels and sounds. Also don't be cranking it to 14 grand every single time you want to shift either... The r6 will still pull at 12 grand but riding up there all the time isn't going to give you the longest life either...

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
around the city i usually shift around 4k..downshifting is an art of its own

it all about listening to your bike shell tell you what she wants

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
That'll help him learn to shift... Douche.
no...actually it will save his life since he doesnt seem to have the requisite skill to ride a sportbike. Plus he is just a statistic waiting to happen with questions like that.
I dont think Ive ever heard anyone ask a question so obtuse. Then again im not on the front line at MSF courses:rolleyes:

·
Read Only
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
why are you asking beginner questions yet your profile lists you as having an "advanced" skill set motorcycle? Forget to check your ego? Kiting checks your skill set cant cash?
Enlighten us please! :*tongue
I have no idea how or why it says that. I know how to ride man, I'm just making sure I'm doing it PERFECT. No need to bash. You were at my level once. Come on now..

·
Canyon Carving
458 Posts
clutch wont really burn out cause of improper shifting, your motor might. the clutch is worn by time

·
Registered
126 Posts
Turbo is just another jerkoff on this forum, talks garbage bc he thinks hes the king of motorcycles n feels the need to be a clown on a site to get attention theres a bunch of them on here when you ask questions about ne thing, just go by feel and sound, in the city, i think i shift around 6 probably give or take.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
you'll eventually get used to hearing it and never need to look down. i shift generally around 6-8K. when riding in traffic i'll be cruising in higher rpm just in case anything happens and i need to accelerate out of something.

i don't think there is a perfect way, but just what feels right. i use the clutch to upshift, some riders don't. when i downshift, i try to throttle blip cause i'm trying to learn the technique still. it helps when taking turns on a light and also helps when wanting to shift down a gear to accelerate out of something, but don't want to engine brake.

·
TopGearAmbitiousButRubish
2,233 Posts
The more aggressive you are riding the higher the RPM you will shift at. The important thing is a quick shift. I keep pressure on the shifter when I'm ready to shift, then the slightest twitch back will allow the gear change. You will be surprised how little you have to come off the throttle to neutralize tension in the transmission. be quick off and quicker back on and it will be a very smooth transition, you shouldn't feel any buck if you're doing it right. If you do feel a big buck you usually came off the throttle too much so your engine is already decelerating by the time you're back on the throttle.

·
Read Only
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The more aggressive you are riding the higher the RPM you will shift at. The important thing is a quick shift. I keep pressure on the shifter when I'm ready to shift, then the slightest twitch back will allow the gear change. You will be surprised how little you have to come off the throttle to neutralize tension in the transmission. be quick off and quicker back on and it will be a very smooth transition, you shouldn't feel any buck if you're doing it right. If you do feel a big buck you usually came off the throttle too much so your engine is already decelerating by the time you're back on the throttle.
I told you that you were full of information!

Thanks brother!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts