Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when was the first time you dragged knee, and what was your experience like? How did it feel? Where were you? How long were you riding up until that point? Etc...

For me, it was this past December at Jennings. It was my 3rd day and I was gradually getting a lot faster as I was learning the track and gaining more confidence with the bike. I've been riding for 1 season (8 track days), and in the middle of my season I had a crash which slowed me up more then I thought and made me a bit hesitant to really push hard.

At Jennings from the first day to the third day I dropped my time by 15 seconds. My confidence was soaring...likely because I just got CZ wheels and full ohlins suspension. The bike was just riding like a beast and so easy to control. My second to last session I was going through turn 8 (a hard left turn...pretty shady turn actually) and all of a sudden I heard it.....ERRRRRR (pause) ERRRRRRRR (pause) ERRRRRRRRR. What an odd feeling. You can feel the plastic vibration from the concrete go through your whole body. Dragged 3 times through the turn. I knew it was eventually going to happen, and I've had so many friends like John, Ant and Fred continue to tell me that when it happens...don't get nervous just leave it and stick it out. So that's what I did! It felt AWESOME.

After that turn you make a quick right through turn 9 and I just let out a quick...."F-------------CK YEAHHHHHHHHH!" and wanted to just do a quick fist pump. I was so hype.

After that I continued to drag it in that same turn...not every single lap though. I also got it down lightly in turn 1 just once.

What an amazing feeling. Next track day is in about a month. I can't wait to get it down again!!!

:toocool:

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
haha i remember my first time ever, scared the hell out of me, almost stood it up at a buck or so halfway through turn 2 at miller. congrats bud there is nothing like it. and buy some cluckys, they last forever

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
First time I dragged knee was by mistake on a public road a year or more ago. I was so focused on enjoying my ride & body position. My left knee touched the ground in a double turn.... I was scared out of my wit's, pretty surprised, than pissed off at myself because I ****ed up my favorite jeans. They tore open like paper :nono

·
n00b
2,325 Posts
Firs time I dragged knee was at Summit Point Shenny circuit. It was my second track day and I was taking the inside line in the carrousel. Only going about 35mph but still caught me off guard. It was one of coolest feelings ever. I still love it every time my knee drags the ground when turning.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
It was a cold February morning and I took a turn too fast for the 27 degree temps outside. I dragged my knee, elbow, and the whole right side of my bike.

I have my first T.D.(Jennings) coming up this weekend and can't wait. I'm not going with the intentions of getting my knee down, just to improve my riding. Hopefully sometime this season I'll get my knee down though.

·
Colombia
900 Posts
It was a cold February morning and I took a turn too fast for the 27 degree temps outside. I dragged my knee, elbow, and the whole right side of my bike.

I have my first T.D.(Jennings) coming up this weekend and can't wait. I'm not going with the intentions of getting my knee down, just to improve my riding. Hopefully sometime this season I'll get my knee down though.
When exactly are you going to Jennings? Ill be there march 3rd and 4th.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
Took me 2.5 years to get my left down. Was chasing a couple racers at a local track and decided "eff it... Keep up or wreck trying." I kept up for a while - then the expert left me and the novice. Haha. Jtolles was there. :)

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,619 Posts
Jennings turn 8 passing a GSXR 1k on my 1st TD. Scared the shit out of me, but I just lifted it up and gassed it to finish the pass. Last TD @ Jennings, turn 1, turn 6 (rumble strip :eek5), turn 8, turn 11, turn 13............:toocool:

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Last season that passed was my first track season. On my third day of the season I breifly touched my left knee twice on the last session. It sent me a bit wide when it happened! :lmao

Now I just wish i could afford more knee pucks. :laugh

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WELL ACTUALLY...I officially REALLY dragged knee on my 3rd TD. I also dragged my leg, my hip, my shoulder, my back, my right lever, and the whole right side of the bike. Turn 1 at Thunderbolt. LOWSIDE FTW, lol.

DAMN DUDE...did you lowside?

Jennings turn 8 passing a GSXR 1k on my 1st TD. Scared the shit out of me, but I just lifted it up and gassed it to finish the pass. Last TD @ Jennings, turn 1, turn 6 (rumble strip :eek5), turn 8, turn 11, turn 13............:toocool:
NICE! The rumble strip there is NO JOKE...drag knee on that and it'll rip you off the damn bike.

Last season that passed was my first track season. On my third day of the season I breifly touched my left knee twice on the last session. It sent me a bit wide when it happened! :lmao

Now I just wish i could afford more knee pucks. :laugh
:werd you need to run steel pucks hahaha. Matter of fact...didn't someone get in trouble at Jennings on our last TD because of that? I swear I heard Roy yelling over the mic about that.

it was a warm summer afternoon...NAH...never did touch my knee yet, always keep pulling it up. Better to look like a novice and go faster than look like a pro and go slow...
:lmao:lmao:lmao

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
WELL ACTUALLY...I officially REALLY dragged knee on my 3rd TD. I also dragged my leg, my hip, my shoulder, my back, my right lever, and the whole right side of the bike. Turn 1 at Thunderbolt. LOWSIDE FTW, lol.

DAMN DUDE...did you lowside?

NICE! The rumble strip there is NO JOKE...drag knee on that and it'll rip you off the damn bike.

:werd you need to run steel pucks hahaha. Matter of fact...didn't someone get in trouble at Jennings on our last TD because of that? I swear I heard Roy yelling over the mic about that.

:lmao:lmao:lmao
Roy definitely doesn't appreciate the sparking knee pucks. :lmao Jennings was ROUGH on pucks with all those damn sweeper. I dragged a whole part of my suit once the puck was gone. The damn thing disintegrated and even the velcro backing vanished too! :laugh

First time was at Texas World Speedway

At first I was like

And then I was like

:pimp

·
Premium Member
17,970 Posts
First time was when I switched to my Q2's. I think what did it was my body position, in the past I was carrying decent speed but with a F'd up body position.. Once I got it down it was easy.

It was pretty cool at forst, got all excited and kept doing it all day to try to get a picture..

·
billdozer
1,865 Posts
my first knee drag was on my fz6, it was probably about my 4th td and i finally started to not worry about dragging knee and as my speed picked up i was dragging knee w/o even thinking about it.

Nice Shush! I love counting the turns I'm draggin knee at. If im not draggin knee through a turn it means go faster:screwy

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
Funny you should ask...happened this weekend! :YEA

GoPro caught it too...

I only touched down twice on the right and once on the left but looking through photos you can see I was *really* close a lot of other times.

Scared the CRAP out of me each time but afterwards I was screaming and laughing to myself in the helmet. :laugh

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
I'm prolly the only one here with over 10 trackdays that never touched knee down. Honestly, I've heard stories of first timers crash coz they got spooked by it, so when I think I'm too low, I ever so slightly pull up my knee.

Anyone else not touch their knee with over 5 trackdays? Time for a new thread....
:wave I cannot remember the exact number of track days but it was probably around 5-6...some were 2 day weekends.

I was a slow learner. :laugh My first year of riding I think I did less than 1000k miles. Took me two years to get to the track in the first place and another (almost) 3 years to get my knee down...will hit 5 years of riding this July. But I know I did it the right way. Learned the track lines...learned my body position. Went slow to start.

Now I know I am touching knee because I am getting faster and not just because I am shoving my whole body and bike down there.

And I am with you...I still after dragging...kept pulling my knee in. It is something I am going to have to get used to! :cheers

1 - 20 of 155 Posts