Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK weird topic day today. I'm bored so bare with me.

I believe most of us can agree that riding a motorcycle fast is as mental (if not more than) it is a physical challenge.

We see motoGP riders (namely marquez) crash at a free practice and go out again 5 minutes later to break lap records.

How do they do it?

How do you do it?

I personally have crashed only twice in 2 years of pure track riding history. After my crash, 2-3 following track days I've done were complete disaster. I wasn't able to lean at all. I was suuuper slow. It really mind *****ed me. At that point I was a complete noob too so that didn't help.

Second crash was recent. 1st trackday after the crash was a wash. I was really slow. 2nd started really bad too. Saturday my best was 10 secs down on my personal best. But Sunday I got down to 5 secs within.

Still not good enough. But I found that the best way in this situation is just throwing yourself in more and more practice to get over it as fast as you can.

REALIZING that it's 99% in your head helps a lot. I could've blamed the bike or just chalk it up as a "ehhh not my day today" but I realized I was just being a p*ssy and tried to push myself a bit harder...

Don't get me wrong I'm still a major p*ssy :D

But how do you approach post crash riding? How do you get over it and go just as fast as you were. Do you slow down at all after a crash? Or are you like Marquez? Get annoyed and go even faster.

:popcorn:

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
i went right back out and did my usual lap times right after my crash this year. analyze why it happened, try your best to learn from it and move on. mistakes happen, that's how we improve. dwelling on it won't help. you let it stay in your head. i think i must've just extracted the lesson from my actions and continued. if that's the case, you're fighting a personal battle that only you have the answer to...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
221 Posts
But how do you approach post crash riding? How do you get over it and go just as fast as you were. Do you slow down at all after a crash? Or are you like Marquez? Get annoyed and go even faster.

:popcorn:
This is why it is important to understand why you crashed.
I think it is first of all important to understand why you crashed so that you can ensure that you don't do it again. Were you on the brakes too long in the turn, did you run wide, did you try to ride too fast on cold tires etc…First step is to figure this out, like really figure it out.

Then I think you want to pick one thing to work on at a time and begin building your confidence back up. How quickly you are able to do this will depend on each rider but I think if you have something SPECIFIC to work on when you go back out you will less likely be nervous about your previous crash and you will be more dedicated to conquering your fear.

For example, if you crashed because you carried the brakes into the corner too far then I would work on adjusting your RP's for that corner, changing up your braking marker and maybe giving yourself an "End of braking marker" to work on. From there you can add more RP's to your overall amount and work up your pace a little at a time.

If you simply try to go out and ride around at the pace you did before you will struggle, but if you give yourself a systematic approach to building yourself back up you will improve.

Reference points are a great place to start but what other skills might you want to choose as your "one thing" to work on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts