Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold the street bike for track only 2000 r6. Can not wait to get on it and ride. I have a few questions. Iv only been to the track once with sportbike track time only because they hosted at a local track. Im from nashville tennesse so id like to keep fairly local to south east for now. First question is what is your oppinion on them and others that offer track days. Pros and cons of each. Second is what is the first thing i need to do with the bike it has been sitting for a year or so but very well taken care of and maintained through its life started right up and took off on the test ride. Next question is tires. Unfortunately im not going to be able to do more than 3 to 5 track days a year. Being new im not going to destroy tires after 1 outing. If i was to buy a set off tires would i be ok letting them sit for 2 or 3 months? Or should i go for a cheaper tire and sell them after? Thanks for all the help!!!

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
Just sold the street bike for track only 2000 r6. Can not wait to get on it and ride. I have a few questions. Iv only been to the track once with sportbike track time only because they hosted at a local track. Im from nashville tennesse so id like to keep fairly local to south east for now. First question is what is your oppinion on them and others that offer track days. Pros and cons of each. Second is what is the first thing i need to do with the bike it has been sitting for a year or so but very well taken care of and maintained through its life started right up and took off on the test ride. Next question is tires. Unfortunately im not going to be able to do more than 3 to 5 track days a year. Being new im not going to destroy tires after 1 outing. If i was to buy a set off tires would i be ok letting them sit for 2 or 3 months? Or should i go for a cheaper tire and sell them after? Thanks for all the help!!!
STT isn't around me but, change the oil and check the coolant at the least. Check the tires THOROUGHLY for any signs of aging or dry rot, check the DOT number on the tire to see how old it is usually marked inside a box on the sidewall (newer ones will have DOT marked in the box as well) 4 numbers xxXX xx is the week the tire was made XX is the year. Starting out depending on your progress, your tires should last you at least two track days. For starting out, I'd recommend either Pilot Power 2ct's or Power Pures, I'm sure some Bridgestone lovers will be in soon enough to recommend a set of those.

Letting street tires sit for 2-3 months you will probably be fine, especially with limited track time. If you were going for softer compound tires for mostly track use I would say buy some good stands to put it up on to prevent flat spots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts