Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Everything you need to know is in the Service Manual !
177 Posts
I just finished a job, where a dude brought in his 2015 R6, worried that there is something wrong with his gear box. I took it for a test ride and it had a severe ticking noise. Only to find a battery strap caught up in the front sprocket. I asked him where's his battery strap was. He said he lost it the last battery change 18 months ago. So this thing had been curled up in the front sprocket for all that time and nothing bad happened.
View attachment 379977
I can only imagine where the bolts I’ve dropped have ended up

·
Registered
177 Posts
The first time I changed my oil I had a fender bolt extra. Looked for a half hour where it went. The next time I changed oil, I finally found up behind the headlights where my "spare" lived.
The, until next time we meet, for a mechanic. The only time I don’t want spares is if I’m going internal somewhere in the motor. I’ve had to re disassemble my entire clutch because I forgot the lock washer on the basket. Thankfully my head gasket job went smoothly. Only broke one of the Allen bolts on the timing chain side of the case to block. No oil leaks so I’m not going back to put a heli coil anytime soon

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re disassembly sucks the big one for sure.. I put 32 valve springs upside down in my zx9r head. Still need to flip them all over.
Oof 😅 I didn’t know the springs were directional tbh. I need to go in and re shim mine soon. I ported out the exhaust runners and cleaned up/ knife edged the intake when I had the head off. Should have reseated all the valves and changed out the the seals but it was my first time in there and I couldn’t build a stable spring compressor in time. What do you use to compress the springs and remove the retainers? I didn’t trust the socket and hammer method

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a craftsman compressor from the 80s for v8 engines that I made a motorcycle shim/bucket adapter. Kawasaki has tight coils on one end. No idea on yamaha yet.. only 3 years old so far!
On my 2nd gen there’s decent room but they all are deep into the head. Most methods I’ve seen used on cars just isn’t useful. The style that is like a C clamp that goes around to the bottom of the valve and combustion area seems like the only option

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, it holds the valve face then clamps the spring retainer and the bit I machined has a tube with a window to remove the two retainers off the stem. I'll look for it and get a pic. With head on you need compressed air or rope.
Preciate it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts