Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanted to do a complete custom bodied sport bike. I have a 95 XR650 supermoto that I had planned to be the subject of such build, but with a first child on the horizon, and it having sat on the back burner for pretty much the last 5 yrs, I realized a full custom build like that is becoming unrealistic. So I turned my ambition to my 00 R6 and scaled down my objectives.

My 1st bike was a FZR600, then I jumped to a 99 R6 with a couple of Ninja 250s stashed in there somewhere. I had to sell the 99 back in 09 when I moved. Then upgraded to a 03 Z1000 wanted to try out the whole street fighter fad thing. But I was never satisfied with it like I was with the R6. So last year I couldn't fight the itch and went out and reacquired this time a 00 R6.

my 1st 99 R6

the 00 when I bought it, for just under $2k you can't beat a used R6

thanks to MI potholes, I had to replace both bent rims. buddy hooked me up with some menard's racing paint

earlier this year I started getting some ideas of what I want. Initially started out as just getting a custom under tail exhaust done after getting a welder for xmas from my wife.

Bungie mocking the Harley pipes.

Realizing that exhaust is pretty much impossible without modifying the tail section, that was when this project just got bigger. I'm now ****ed into a full blown custom tail project that I was trying to avoid.

Fabricating a custom rear subframe.

Clay modeling (actually my profession) the tail.

Fiberglass mold

Fiberglass part

Test fitting

Mocking up exhaust

I've been wanting to start a build thread to document progress as I go, but I found my time is better spent doing the actual work so I kept putting it off until now that it's all done, so it's more like a recap thread.

So after 2 long months (with an understanding wife) with many LATE LATE nights in the garage…from crouching next to a space heater to fight sub-freezing temps, to spraying OFF! to fight hungry mosquitos, it's finally done. Just in time to make the trip to Road America with my buddies for the Rockerbox show in WI this weekend.

Hope you all like it. If not, who cares. :D

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
I agree thats badass and you obviously have a great deal of time in it. I would hack the pipes down 3 or 4 inches and it would look even better! Where you at in michigan?

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
^^^^ Agree that I would make the pipes a bit smaller... Looks pretty killer though, Nice work man!

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
That's sick you made your own tail piece from scratch. I'd get some carbon fiber r1 exhaust cans, but either way it's still awesome

·
#KeepPounding
1,735 Posts
In for further projects...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies.

the pipes are a little longer than I wanted. when I bought them, the lady on ebay said they were 17" long, but when I got them they measured 21"....so that's your 3-4" right there lol. I can't hack them shorter, I don't have the necessary skills to make that look right.

FYI, those are Harley mufflers. And the tail light is off an 08 R1 I believe. everything else is custom one-off, including the mirror block offs, to the license plate holder to the trimmed windscreen. The blue is the rubberized peelable stuff (ala plasti-dip, but different brand). the white is rattle-can but sanded/buffed with pinstriping to clean up the edges. Undertail pipe required minor hacking of the swingarm, but nothing that was cut is structural, just the thin cover/box-in flange.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
I would go with a smaller set of pipes off an R1 or such but regardless the amount of work put into this is staggering and it turned out great!! Very impressive indeed! I was thinking aboot and undertail exhaust once... But it was gonna need a ton of fab work like this that i have no knowledge of. Good work man!

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
Fack...that is one stellar job! Kudos :cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts