Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Negative Ghostrider
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ride a Raven R6 and love the look of carbon fiber and black together. Just got a full Leo Vince exhaust with Carbon Fiber can and it looks sick! Not installed yet, but I held it up and it's gonna be great! I'd like to replace a few parts on my bike with CF for looks and a little weight reduction, although minimal, every little bit can help, right?

So, what are your opinions about carbon fiber on a black bike? What parts do you recommend I change? I dont want to change all, but don't want the bike to look mismatched either. Also, once I start to do this, where would you guys recommend I start to look for these parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

here are a few pics to get the creative mind juices flowin!!

·
This is not my ass
1,355 Posts
Hard to get individual CF parts, if you want, get the full up race kit. Race fairings in CF. Or just tail and upper fairings in CF. Or start with CF front/rear fenders.

·
Negative Ghostrider
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to get individual CF parts, if you want, get the full up race kit. Race fairings in CF. Or just tail and upper fairings in CF. Or start with CF front/rear fenders.
Ok, where is a quality CF place to start looking and pricing. I know, as i've dealt with many cars, that quality of CF parts is very very hard to come by... just because you make CF parts doesn't mean they are worth sheieeeit!

·
R1+5
507 Posts
fender, rear hugger, triple 3's, the brake reservoir, mirrors, turn signals sorry had to say it custom fairing stay(im having it done soon), and the list goes so on but the first set I said is cheap then if I mention the rest that burns a hole in your pocket

·
This is not my ass
1,355 Posts
I'm of the belief that the Ravens are great bikes already without a lot of CF on them. But I think your new can will look great.
I'm with Paytheon, just need a little CF to compliment, the raven is a great color to begin with, your masterpiece is 90% done already.

·
Negative Ghostrider
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with Paytheon, just need a little CF to compliment, the raven is a great color to begin with, your masterpiece is 90% done already.
Thanks Paytheon! :)

I agree... and that's kinda what I was gettin at in my first post. I want accents not full out.

Where do i go to start pricing??

·
2003 R6
78 Posts
check oppracing.com for carbon fiber stuff. they have solid products compare to those cheap carbon fiber ones (ie. lockhart philips, etc) .

another one is be patient in ebay. there are some good deals sometimes but be very careful. most of my stuff are oppracing items but bought from ebay and forums "bike parts section" for more than half the price. i never buy retail except for the wear and tear items (ie. pads, chain, sprocket, etc). go to other forums also (ie. r6central, r6messagenet) at their bike parts section. youll find fellow r6 riders that sell good deals.

check out my 03 r6, its silver but to give you some ideas for carbon fiber accents. http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64786

·
Negative Ghostrider
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
check oppracing.com for carbon fiber stuff. they have solid products compare to those cheap carbon fiber ones (ie. lockhart philips, etc) .

another one is be patient in ebay. there are some good deals sometimes but be very careful. most of my stuff are oppracing items but bought from ebay and forums "bike parts section" for more than half the price. i never buy retail except for the wear and tear items (ie. pads, chain, sprocket, etc). go to other forums also (ie. r6central, r6messagenet) at their bike parts section. youll find fellow r6 riders that sell good deals.

check out my 03 r6, its silver but to give you some ideas for carbon fiber accents. http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64786

WOW... that looks nice man. Especially since you bought it LOL! I dunno if I coulda bought a bike that looked like that to begin with, but your vision worked out well for it! :)

So how much did all that CF cost ya? Y'd u choose the VORTEX rearsets over the Graves or maybe another? I just started lookin at that website and holy cow!! LOL! :) It's gonna get pricey quickly!

Also, where did you get the actual chain guard that goes atop of the chain itself. That website didn't offer it. And I called and they said they didnt even make it... so where'd you get it!! LOL

Also they dont have the front fender (I think that's what it's called) goes over the front tire. Where'd you get that too?

Patrick

·
2003 R6
78 Posts
WOW... that looks nice man. Especially since you bought it LOL! I dunno if I coulda bought a bike that looked like that to begin with, but your vision worked out well for it! :)

thanks...

So how much did all that CF cost ya? Y'd u choose the VORTEX rearsets over the Graves or maybe another? I just started lookin at that website and holy cow!! LOL! :) It's gonna get pricey quickly!

i dont know how much i spent already buit its a never ending mods!!! just dont think about money spent but how much money you saved for buying from a good deal.

i bought my used vortex rearsets at ebay for $130, it also includes the rear caliper and goodridge braided brakeline. i think the guy who was selling it didnt even care taking it apart (i think his bike crashed or something).

Also, where did you get the actual chain guard that goes atop of the chain itself. That website didn't offer it. And I called and they said they didnt even make it... so where'd you get it!! LOL

chain guard at ebay $50. he was parting out his bike and selling for a new one. did you see my cf shark fin (bottom swingarm near the rear sprocket). this one will save your toes or fingers in a event of a crash. its not only looks but functionality.

Also they dont have the front fender (I think that's what it's called) goes over the front tire. Where'd you get that too?

front and rear fender from oppracing but bought it at ebay for $75 each. im telling you man there are some good deals in ebay and forums. dont just buy retail especially cosmetic stuff. most of my stuff are "used" but they all look new to me. be careful buying stuff bec some guys they dont describe the items real good so its up to you if its f**ked or not.

doing mods takes some time especially me, that i save money every paycheck to buy mods. its very addicting, you better have control or else youll be broke.

·
Negative Ghostrider
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow... LOL I just went on ebay and you are right about bein cheaper.

I found a rear fender carbon fiber, made by PUIG, i've heard and read a lot of people mention that name buying parts and stuff. I take it that they probably make a quality carbon fiber part too?

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
carbon mids woudl look hot! not too much carbon but enough to get noticed!

·
2003 R6
78 Posts
I love the carbon fiber resevoir covers, about to grab some for mine here soon looks clean.

great idea about cf reservoir covers. perfect for accents. how much are they? does it protects the brake fluid from uv/heat?

what do you guys think about rizomas?...its around $50-75. but the good thing about it is, its universal which you can transfer it to another bike, different colors and sizes, and the design is just top notch italian quality...

every now and then i always change my reservoir socks due to fading colors. i should have saved all that money and buy something that will last long...

sorry for jacking thread...but keep the good ideas coming...accents, carbon fiber, billet, etc...

·
Negative Ghostrider
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hey sgt gman2005,
I asked this question over on another forum that I'm a member of and they seem to all put the poo-poo on the OPP racing stuff. Several guys said it was poor fit and finish. Did you have any trouble with install of that stuff? Have to drill any extra holes or enlarge any? Just wondering..

·
2003 R6
78 Posts
no problems at all. perfect fit. the product itself is solid, carbon fiber on the front and kevlar at the back.

what do you mean poo poo...they have good customer service and should complain there. call them and youll know.

Hey sgt gman2005,
I asked this question over on the R6 forum that I'm a member of and they seem to all put the poo-poo on the OPP racing stuff. Several guys said it was poor fit and finish. Did you have any trouble with install of that stuff? Have to drill any extra holes or enlarge any? Just wondering..

·
Registered
170 Posts
The resevoir covers are like $30 each I will be getting my set soon and should look good with the silver. That cover you posted above is kinda nice too but might not look good with silver.

·
2003 R6
78 Posts
The resevoir covers are like $30 each I will be getting my set soon and should look good with the silver. That cover you posted above is kinda nice too but might not look good with silver.

where are you going to order your CF? i think black, silver, carbon fiber matches together...

i ordered rizoma grips, barends, small reservoir, and wide reservoir...all black. most of my mods are black and hopefully it will match my silver R6.

·
Negative Ghostrider
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anybody ever deal with superbikestore.com? They are in Ann Arbor I guess. Their stuff looks nice on the website, and I could go look at it in person instead of buying blindly on Ebay

I called them and asked if I could come up there and take a look before I purchase and he said no problem. Their website says they've been doing this for like 24 years or something. Apparently they go all over and sell their stuff and people seem pretty happy with it. The guy I talked to seemed pretty knowledgable and I bugged him with 3 different phone calls. For the 3 parts that they have readily available for my bike (chain guard, front and rear fenders) it's $600!! LOL Yikes..

Then at OPPracing.com, the clutch cover, engine cover, oil pump cover and shark fin guard it's $360.

There's another $1000 for the bike!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts