Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My R6 is running fine, it's a good street bike, but a friend of mine just recently crashed her ZX6R pretty badly and with no collision on the bike, she shelled out cash for another used one.

The crashed ZX6R she wants to sell, and told me she wants $1,500.

About the bike:
YEAR: 2012
MILES: 3,500

I know it needs ...
- Header
- Engine casing
- Fairings
- Front wheel
- Exhaust

My plan is to turn it into a "Streetable" Track Bike - so I'd get track fairings but wire up a taillight LED strip, and some form of headlight that can be removed.

Besides some scrapes on the frame, the frame is good. What I don't know is if the forks are okay - but they aren't leaking or anything. The gas tank has a small ding in it, but besides that, it's fine.

Just want to know what you guys would do? Clean title, 2012, 3500 miles for $1500 ... would you buy it and rebuild it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Reall good price. First thing I would do for sure is strip it down and send to the frame shop to make sure everything is straight.

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have to strip it down to just to the frame to get that checked, or can you keep the swingarm/forks/engine attached?

Even if there is no visual damage to the frame, could it technically still be bent?

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
While that is a decent price, I'd probably pass. If you want a trackbike, go buy one that is already built. Having just done this with my R6 that I picked up for $1700, even if it was free, I'd be better off having bought a bike that was already built. My bike is a 2007, so comparable track bikes aren't as much as something from 2012. With the damage to the front wheel, is be surprised if those forks aren't bent, and possibly the triple clamps.

Stuff adds up faster than you think it will. I knew this going in, and my reasoning was that I liked the low initial investment, being able to set it up the way I want, and I like to work on stuff. But I also like money more than all of that. Depending on what complete bike I could have bought, I may not have had to change much if at all. I also would have had a bike to ride the entire time I was building the R6.

Clean title doesn't really matter with a trackbike as there will probably be zero increase in actual value for the title condition. Look at comparable year/model track bikes and figure out what it will cost to take the bike you are looking at buying and turning it into one of those. Add all the little stuff up and the big stuff like spare wheels, tires, clip-ons, rearsets, bodywork, dzus fasteners for bodywork, front and rear suspension, and on and on. Of course keeping it closer to stock makes it cheaper, but who does that??? Don't forget all the replacement parts. Then decide if you want to work on a bike all summer instead of riding it. And of course, think about wether or not a zx6 is the bike you want.

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
$1500 is a decent price. Especially if you would just turn it into a street fighter and flip for profit.

It is also a decent price if you want a project, but wont be cheaper than buying a pre built one. Personally, I like working on things and fixing things. It is my hobby, and I know I wont get a good return on the projects I do. I just think of it as a hobby expense.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
While that is a decent price, I'd probably pass. If you want a trackbike, go buy one that is already built. Having just done this with my R6 that I picked up for $1700, even if it was free, I'd be better off having bought a bike that was already built. My bike is a 2007, so comparable track bikes aren't as much as something from 2012. With the damage to the front wheel, is be surprised if those forks aren't bent, and possibly the triple clamps.

Stuff adds up faster than you think it will. I knew this going in, and my reasoning was that I liked the low initial investment, being able to set it up the way I want, and I like to work on stuff. But I also like money more than all of that. Depending on what complete bike I could have bought, I may not have had to change much if at all. I also would have had a bike to ride the entire time I was building the R6.

Clean title doesn't really matter with a trackbike as there will probably be zero increase in actual value for the title condition. Look at comparable year/model track bikes and figure out what it will cost to take the bike you are looking at buying and turning it into one of those. Add all the little stuff up and the big stuff like spare wheels, tires, clip-ons, rearsets, bodywork, dzus fasteners for bodywork, front and rear suspension, and on and on. Of course keeping it closer to stock makes it cheaper, but who does that??? Don't forget all the replacement parts. Then decide if you want to work on a bike all summer instead of riding it. And of course, think about wether or not a zx6 is the bike you want.
Words of a wise man who's been there before...

and I agree 100%. Been there, done that...my two cents is buy something already built. But don't go all pickpocket on me and get your panties in a wad for my opinion on what you should do with your money. ;)

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Words of a wise man who's been there before...

and I agree 100%. Been there, done that...my two cents is buy something already built. But don't go all pickpocket on me and get your panties in a wad for my opinion on what you should do with your money. ;)
:hehe

While the wiser man in me said to just pass on it, the ... uhh ... adventurous side of me said to go for it.

It's actually the lower crankcase that got damaged... so the work is a bit more advanced [insert: adventurous :hammer] then I was planning, but, I figured it'd be a really great learning experience since I've never worked on a bike motor before (just LSx motors)

Sooooo ... picked it up for $800

·
stuntin
738 Posts
800 is a good deal. Buy another motor. Swap them out and use the wrecked one for parts or trade for parts you need. Build thread?

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Was planning on looking for a totaled ZX6R with a usable lower crankcase. It's a stretch, but I've got time.

·
2007 R6
915 Posts
crashed her ZX6R
Pics of friend?

& that sounds like a good price but like others said, adds up quick building and adding all of the parts so unless you just want the fun and experience of building your own track bike, you really just have to weigh the options for both ways.

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Pics of friend?

& that sounds like a good price but like others said, adds up quick building and adding all of the parts so unless you just want the fun and experience of building your own track bike, you really just have to weigh the options for both ways.

I can't share pics, she'd probably kill me .. she's crazy (in a good way). I can't handle her. :bowroll

·
'09 R6 Vivid Orange
78 Posts
IMO, an R6 makes a better track bike than the kawi. The Yamaha is the most "track oriented" out of the box of the big 4 Japanese manufacturers. I get that this bike just popped in your lap, and you got it for a song, but just sayin'.

Regardless, good luck with the build and I hope you don't find any surprises

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Jesus, I didn't realize the part about the engine was the case. I figure you meant the side covers or something. I would have just amended my post to "**** no"

I guess the better way to look at it now is that you just paid $800 for a clean title frame with some scratches and a bunch of other parts.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that split cases should be replaced as a set. The boring of the bearing races are done with the two halves bolted together. You might want to check and see what cases cost from the dealer. Might be much cheaper than getting another engine.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
800 bucks is a sick ass deal!

Jesus, I didn't realize the part about the engine was the case. I figure you meant the side covers or something. I would have just amended my post to "**** no"

I guess the better way to look at it now is that you just paid $800 for a clean title frame with some scratches and a bunch of other parts.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that split cases should be replaced as a set. The boring of the bearing races are done with the two halves bolted together. You might want to check and see what cases cost from the dealer. Might be much cheaper than getting another engine.
A used engine from another wrecked bike is always an option if worse comes to worse he could always sell the good bits and make his money back and then some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts