Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently an Auto Tech. Funny thing is, just about every auto tech I know is interested in a different career, but nothing really sounds good

Out of high school, I went to Universal Technical Institute (UTI, I'm sure you've seen the commercials). Got a job working for an Audi dealership in Chicago as a tech after "graduating" (not sure the piece of paper they gave me can even hold the name of diploma. more like certificate of completion). Worked there for a little over two years and moved to Ohio. Working as a tech at an Audi dealership. Been here about a year and a half.

The money is pretty good, but it's one of those careers where your paycheck is exactly what you produce. The only way to make any money is to bust your ass all the time every day. Take a day at half pace and it can hurt a lot. Plus, it's a same thing job. Yeah, you do different things to different cars but it's basically the same job day in and day out. Sad part is, twenty years down the road, I'll do the same exact thing I did today. Job security is a plus. Always gonna need someone to fix cars.

A lot of people say just stick with it. It'll work out somehow. Well, the problem I have is that with my certifications and everything, I'm about at the top of my pay grade. I still have some room for expansion, but the ceiling is getting close. It sucks when you're due for a raise and management tells you, well your already at the max i can give you. The best we can do is compensate year to year to cover inflation. Which basically means ten years down the road I'll be exactly where I am today financially. And that sucks

This has been long enough. Sorry. Been feeling kind of "Office Space" today.

·
Sex......Yes Please
697 Posts
dude make a change, go back to school, or get into whatever you have a passion for, because 10, 20, 30 years down the road you are gonna look back and wonder why the hell you didn't. now money isn't everything, but i can't tell you how many people i run into every day who are miserable because they "wish they were doing something else". i say go for it, do whatever it takes, cut your spending to pay for school so you can still work, and just get it done.

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,634 Posts
Move back to Chicago, I'm looking for an RV Tech.

Pepe is right though...

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the question is what? I've been close to going back to school, but then I always draw a blank when thinking of career choices

·
2007 R6
1,019 Posts
School will definately help but is not neccessarily the answer to all your problems. I would take some time and think about what you want to do before you go to school and end up doing something different but saying the same thing 10 years from now.

Pharmaceuticals - In any shape or form are a good career. Sales people make very good money, 6 figures. You can get a business degree and work in just about any sales area and do well. Finance is a good career, I have a friend that is a investment manager for a major bank and he was a less than perfect student in college. Just some ideas.......Give it a little time it will come to you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Take classes towards a degree in a field you are interested in. Go nights or weekends if you have to. I worked full time while I was in grad school. It really sucked for three years, but it was worth it in the end. Good luck to you.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
Be a fireman!
work 11 days a month, spend the rest of the month on the yamaha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts