Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Back in the saddle
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about removing my third eye and placing a video camera in there, somehow some way . . . No zoom feature needed, nor any sound really neded. Run the wires to some sort of "dvr" slim of course . . . Dismantle some old / some cheap video cameras remove the components you dont need (buy a helmet cam those are small and round . . .

This is a jumping off point, my question is . . . how much room is there behind the third eye? I would be interested in taking this a little farther than a rough idea in my head.

Is it illegal to remove the third eye? I mean it isnt really needed for anything right? Plus it looks lame with HID's

sooo :thumbdown or :toocool:

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
GO FOR IT! i think that'd be sweet! but no sound would/could be seen as a bad thing when people are on track trying to work on throttle control. just a thought. keep us updated!

·
Back in the saddle
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, it depends on how much room is back there. Buddy does security systems and I can get cameras without sound. but i Agree sound would be a nice option.

·
I'm on a boat
809 Posts
Don't see why you couldn't get the lens and recording part in there, and the microphone too. It seems like there is enough surface. I've never taken mine off, though, so I don't know how much room there is behind it.

Get a netbook with a webcam and a 3G wireless internet card, break apart the netbook, install it into the "dash" of the bike, and stream your rides online!
:toocool:

·
Living 1/4 mile at a time
1,143 Posts
Don't see why you couldn't get the lens and recording part in there, and the microphone too. It seems like there is enough surface. I've never taken mine off, though, so I don't know how much room there is behind it.

Get a netbook with a webcam and a 3G wireless internet card, break apart the netbook, install it into the "dash" of the bike, and stream your rides online!
:toocool:
:stupic:werd:nocontrol:YEA

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
i really don't think you have that much room behind the Aux light but if you remove all the crap behind it then you'll have more room. just take it apart and you'll find out how much room you have to work with.

·
Back in the saddle
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have taken it apart when I had it off last week . . . The next week we have unproper riding weather Im on it

·
Shake & Bake!!
2,676 Posts
I'm sure there is a way to get some kind of camera in there some how. But with sound, I highly doubt that'll pan out.. in order to get the sound you'll need a microphone and if it's in the front of the bike, you'll get nothing but wind over powering the engine I would imagine.

But something like this might work for your 3rd eye camera (of course need to be taken apart but for $10.00 it's work the risk of breaking it)

http://cgi.ebay.com/8GB-Spy-Cam-Pen-Hidden-Video-Camera-Recorder-8G-DVR_W0QQitemZ220569249229QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335af3a5cd

And then with a lap top transfer all the video footage from that ride. Wahhhhlahhh.. sounds like a mod that I'll try some day lol.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
The amount of space where the 3rd eye is is about the same as a wedding ring box.. Unless you take out more other stuff. Question answered.

·
I'm on a boat
809 Posts
The amount of space where the 3rd eye is is about the same as a wedding ring box.. Unless you take out more other stuff. Question answered.
You could probably just mount the lens and CCD/recording part there, and route the rest to be inside/under the windscreen, including the microphone. Then no wind noise, and you'd have more room/easier access to fiddle with stuff.

·
Shake & Bake!!
2,676 Posts
You could probably just mount the lens and CCD/recording part there, and route the rest to be inside/under the windscreen, including the microphone. Then no wind noise, and you'd have more room/easier access to fiddle with stuff.
:stupic Pretty good idea with the mic and wires underneath the windscreen which will eliminate the wind noise and also be easier to access to transfer video files from the camera to computer (laptop)

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
:stupic Pretty good idea with the mic and wires underneath the windscreen which will eliminate the wind noise and also be easier to access to transfer video files from the camera to computer (laptop)
There really isn't any room under the windscreen on the 3rd gens. The 2nd gens have a nice little space, but the 3rd gens have that space taken up by the air intake.

·
Shake & Bake!!
2,676 Posts
There really isn't any room under the windscreen on the 3rd gens. The 2nd gens have a nice little space, but the 3rd gens have that space taken up by the air intake.
3rd Gen's can just mount the camera somewhere in the air intake lol...

·
Now U See Me, Now U Dont
695 Posts
this is actually an interesting idea... my buddy and i have been trying to figure out how to get video footage in action on our bikes...

I would imagine that the footage would be EXTREMELY shakey...with the amount of vibrations and bumps in the road, I think it would be hard to get good footage...

·
Now U See Me, Now U Dont
695 Posts

·
iRun
33,319 Posts

·
Now U See Me, Now U Dont
695 Posts
What, you don't like it? I have a Vholdr, I was toying around with selling it for a GoProHD.

yeah, lots of people on this forum do.
nice... i havent looked into this sort of stuff til now... good to know, thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts