Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first bike, a 2000 Yamaha R6, from a friend in February. I started riding in April and got my license soon after. I had some friends telling me to expect some mixed reactions at stoplights and in traffic but I never expected people could hate these bikes so much!

I was riding to my firend's house and was a short distance away when I stopped behind a line of traffic which was stopped for a bus. I was in the right hand lane of a two-lane, so traffic was passing beside me quite freely at 60 km/h. I soon heard and noticed a vehicle(a late-eighties Jimmy/ Blazer) slowing down beside me to about 5-10km/h.

Naturally I looked over to the vehicle and saw an guy in the passenger seat (Caucasian, about 40-50 years of age, shaved head, some grey facial hair) begin hanging out the vehicle, looking slightly back toward me. He made sure he made eye contact with me and then....hhhaaaacccchhhh...ppppuhhh!!!! THE GUY SPIT RIGHT AT ME THEN FLIPPED ME OFF!!! Luckily he missed by a couple inches and the driver took off.

Obviously some-what angry and dumbfounded, I eventually caught up to the vehicle to get his plate number. As I followed behind I could see the passenger was irrate. He took his seatbelt off and he began hanging out his window again, looking back, flipping me off and screaming obscenities and trying to get me to pull up beside him. Rather than freaking out I simply shook my head and gave him the "naughty, naughty" index finger shake. Any time he yelled I'd take my engine up to about 12,000 RPM and drown him out which had two effects:
1. He got mad because what he was yelling was drowned out, and
2. He probably really didn't like the sound of sportbikes, let alone one drowning out his every rant.

The driver soon turned off and I kept going to avoid this idiot trying to corner me and knock me down.

What's with this? I'm 22 years old, I don't drive like an idot and am almost positive I did nothing to anger this guy like cut him off. I guess I might look like a bit of a squid (the bike is blue and white, as is my Arai helmet and Joe Rocket Yamaha replica jacket) but come on! The guy looked like he was probably a biker but have a little tolerance.

Anyone else have any similar incidents?

·
Registered
951 Posts
unfortunatly there are just some plain ol' ass holes. your guess is as good as mine why he did that. not that bad but usually something like that happens about once a week.

i don't know exactly how many people do it as opposed to liking the idea. but some people carry easy accessible things like old spark plugs, bolts, etc for throwing. old spark plugs is best in my experience.

just yesteday i was cruising on the 202west which is like 65mph or so. i was probably going 70 then a gold Z28 convertable with a late 20s mid 30s guy driving, his two little kids in the back and his wife came flying up behind me. he got next to me then stayed in my front right just ahead of me. so i pushed forward because i wanted to get over to merge on to i-10, everyone knows you 'cannot' merge behind cars... he matched it. so i went faster he matched it, and so on. then at about 80 i just down shifted punched it. we got up to 120 or so but he coudln't handle the turn so he backed off. so i guess i won the race of who can be most egotistical? that was the stupidest thing i've ever done and experienced the point where you don't think you can lean anymore but forced myself too. not really because i was scared but because it just felt like i was laying on the ground already.

it strange how everytime i get into a situation like that, where it's time to use my skills, my mind just goes blank and i can't remember anything i was thinking or doing. even though before i'm thinking counter stear, lean more then the bike, OH SHIT, and things like that.

i have no idea why something like that had to get to that point. i did it so i can't blame it on him. but for some reason riding i always feel the need to be the faster or matching the fastest in traffic and when someone comes up behind me faster i speed up so he/she will not pass me. i have no clue why i can't seem to control myself. but it's not just me, obviously. every rider experiences it. even though i ride a bike and know i can't beat it. i still feel like driving faster then the bikes when i am in a cage - i don't, but the feeling is there for some reason. pretty fucking odd if you ask me. because when i think about it - i really don't care that a bold family man goes faster then me on the freeway.

perhaps i'll right a novel on it, this can be the fist chapter. :moon

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Don't be too general with that comment :)

I am a bald guy, goatee, wear HD boots to work and ride, and EVERYONE tells me I look like the typical Harley guy. They even asked me what model of HD I rode when I stopped at the Harley shop, and they fell over when I said "R6" :mrgreen:

I have been on rides with HD folks, there are a few that I work with, and not once have I ever had any conflict with any of them. We (me and 3 other SB riders) went to 2-wheel Tuesday at Hooters not long agon, and we were the only sport riders in there, and prolly 80 HD folks...and all of them joked with us, and said our bikes were "cute" and all that...but everyone of them was cool with us. All around DFW, if I pass a cruiser, they still give the "peace" sign...

Anyway, I doubt this guy was a biker...only because he knows the consequences of going down and the immaturity and disrespect of cagers. Prolly just some dude that was mad at the world and stoned up on some bad weed. You were prolly just in the right place and time for him to wig out. Knowing me, I would have fucked with him...haha

·
Registered
836 Posts
One time I was cruising up the freeway and there was a line of traffic in the left lane, and the right lane was clear for quite a while.

I just casually started passing the traffic on the right, and was cruising along when some dude in a Superduty took it upon himself to let me know that he didn't feel what I was doing was fair... and proceeded to run me CLEAN OFF THE INTERSTATE. He swerved from the left lane, all the way to the edge of a full lane width shoulder. Needless to say, he didn't do this all that quickly... so I am not sure whether he intended on actually hitting me. But the fact of the matter is, if I hadn't seem him look over with a fucked up look on his face, and anticipated his move... I would be dead. He missed me, but forced me off the road onto the median that divides the interstate from the frontage road. Luckily I kept it upright and pulled safely onto the frontage road.

I am assuming that NONE of the dozens of other people who witnessed this thought that there was anything wrong with his actions... as no-one even bothered to slow down to see whether I made it out of this manuever alive.

Got to the next exit and called the State Patrol with as much specific information as I had about the jerk. They essentially blew me off because I didn't have a plate number (I-25 runs right in front of a State Patrol office not more than 20 miles North of where this happened)... and I just hung up before they pissed me off and my anger got interpreted as threatening towards them.

Moral of the story... people out there really DO want to kill sport-bikers. And the general public and the cops could care less.

This, above some other factors, is what first got me thinking that I was done riding motorcycles. Luckily I discovered that it was a lot easier to get into track-riding and racing than I had ever previously thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't had anyone the spat upon me. The only times I have taken my bike over 100mph occurred when Mustang Guy pulled in the lane next to me. First one, was a guy in his Mustang about 19 years old with his girlfriend. He pulled in the lane next to me and looked over and stepped on the gas, which pushed my button for some reason. I chased his @$$ down and winked at his girlfriend. I thought it was really stupid of me at the time because I was heading towards a bridge where there's a toll plaza where the Highway Patrol usually hangs out. Luckily, no cops were around. The second mustang guy, was a guy that baited me. I didn't want to get into a race. It was a long work day and I just wanted to get home. Much like the first guy, he pulled along side me and looked over and took off. I just let him go. But, dude was looking to push me. He slowed down so I could catch up to him. He looked at me again and took off. I said "whatever." But, he slowed down again trying to provoke me. This time it worked. I kicked it down and redlined it and took off. But, it was only like a 1/4 of mile because my exit was just right there.

I just recalled this one time that this granny didn't want me to pass her. I was about to pass her on the right lane, and noticed her glancing over. She stepped on her gas. I was surprised that Granny had a lead foot.

As for guys on HDs... I haven't had any problems with them. Most of them have given hand waves as they pass in the opposite direction. I don't feel animosity from them when I pull up next to them at the light.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've never had problems with Harley riders but don't underestimate cagers. Quite a few have a surprising amount of animosity towards sportbike riders. Animosity bordering on straight up hatred. There are some cagers who would love to see us hurt or maimed just because they don't like how our bikes sound or whatever. Pretty cold hearted if you ask me. :poke

·
Registered
784 Posts
ahhh man.... just ride safe guys..... defensive, rather than offensive... whether its your fault or not...

Now I know why so many people carry guns.....
But honestly, you gotta literally ride like everyone wants to kill you....

next time I ride (prolly next may, since I can't afford anything right now) , I'm gonna be using my horn a hell of a lot more..... that's for sure... and rAGEeeeee (hand gestures).. and RAAAAGEeeeee on people who do stupid things

·
Registered
503 Posts
Guys... I know most of you have said it, and I agree. People WILL try to kill you. One such instance is when I was on I-70 heading west towards my uncle's house. Well, I was following this new Dodge truck with the driver and a passenger (both male) ahead of me. We were in the left lane (out of two lanes total) and a semi-truck was a little bit behind me on the right, but in the way enough that I couldn't swerve over to the right in front of him.
Well, as fate would have it, the jack-ass (excuse the language) in the Dodge decides to slam on his brakes for no apparent reason (still unknown to this day) and brake checks me... I am glad I was watching and paying attention because I would've been in the bed of his truck knocking his rear window in and killing that mofo, but luckily I quickly braked and hard. I locked up the rear wheel and began to skid, but he let up luckily.
I got up next to him and gestured to see what I did (nothing offensive), and he just flips me off... so, I gave him the finger and sped on. There was no one in front of him for a 1/2 mile, and I wasn't following him closely (or I wouldn't be typing this right now)... so I don't know what his problem was... just jerks guys.

All I can say is pay attention, and like the guys said above me, act like everyone hates you.

-Solace

P.S. I've NEVER had an angry or hostile HD rider, they're cool to me...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi

Today, while riding down a 3 lane road, a woman and her significant other were having an argument in front of me, but they decided to switch to the outside lane and I was going for the middle lane. Well, when I went to pass, she saw me and decided to come back into the middle lane. I knew it was going to happen and I held my line...fortunetly we weren't driving very fast as we had just taken a turn. Well the short of it, I pulled up along side of her "MINI VAN" and knocked on the window at 30mph and waved at her. Kinda like, he dumbass, yeah you cut me off and here I am. Her husband/BF obviously got pissed at her and started in on her. As far as HD riders go, I have never had a problem with them and ride with a few myself. I just figure as long as I expect everything and plan 2 streets ahead, I'll be fine. Ride safe everyone
Ash

·
Registered
712 Posts
malice said:
must have been a Harley type of guy. They just dont like us.
I really get tired of hearing sportbike riders and yes squids throw this comment out there. Most riders think that harley guys hate "us" sportbikers. Me, i learned how to ride on harleys, sportbikes, and choppers.

The majority of the people i ride with are Harley guys and cruisers...the reason being this. Cruiser guys, especially HARLEY GUYS respect other riders and enjoy the road and the ride. Three days ago i went on a 200 mile ride and it was me, 6 harleys, 2 yamaha v-stars, and one r1. Sure they kid around about my cute bike or it having no sound, but there were a blast to ride with. How many times do you see 15 soprtbikes with riders cool enough to cruise with one or two harleys?

And the reason why most harley guys don't like sportbikes because they are asses at times. The first time i rode with a pack of cruisers, this fuckin' squid came up from behind us, split the pack, and then popped a wheelie right in the middle of the pack. No Respect what so ever!

Basically, both groups of riders have their idiots and immature riders and both groups come with prejudices against the other. Basically, all bikers need to respect other bikers/groups...because that is what we are...BIKERS whether it be an r6, harley, cbr, or chopper. And we need to do away with those dumbass sayings like "Oh, it must a been a harley dude cuz they just don't like us sportbikers"

Anyway, I'm done ranting and raving. Yoda, you had a good post on this topic as well...to all my fellow bikers, ride safe and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get the impression that guys on Harleys despise sportbikes. I hardly ever get low-5s from or returned by them, especially when I'm wearing full leathers. Most of the time they look right passed me.

I've only had one minor incident with a Harley. I was going about the speed limit with an SUV about 6 or 7 car lengths ahead of me on a single lane country road. I saw the guy on the Harley in my rear view coming up on me. He came up on my right side and gestured to me to let me know he was there I assume. He used his middle finger to give me the sign. I just shook my head. He fell back then passed me on the left. He let off and forced me to slow down. I downshifted and was about to pass him and he gunned it. I didn't know what he was going to do so I slowed down again. He flew passed the SUV. My impulse was to do the same but I got ahold of myself and just let him go.

I know I didn't do anything to provoke him. I had been following the SUV for a while. Perhaps things are just different in Northern Cali...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
There are some assholes out there no doubt. Some are in cages, some are on Harleys, and some are on sportbikes.
I've had a bew run in's with cagers, but nothing as blatant as being spit at. Mostly they are punks trying to race or people just not paying attention.
If you have a Hog rider not wave, or even flip you off, it's probably someone who has had a sport biker piss him off in the past. There are some that just hate Japanese bikes in general because they are Japanese.
The majority of the time in Dallas, I get a wave returned, or they wave at me first. I ride with, pull up next to, and most of the time, have a conversation with Harley riders on the road or at a light.
Respect breeds respect, and if you don't get a wave, just wave at the next one.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm with "Old School" on this one. I just wave no matter what. And if I'm in a turn and can't wave I feel kind of bad, but oh well. Respect everyone and everything and you'll be fine. :flame BUT **** Minivans and the crazy bitches that drive them. end :flame

·
Registered
35 Posts
They're out to get us (cagers). Be careful. I've got a couple of incidents that stand out. I was splitting lanes in traffic at a decent pace (not more than 10 mph over traffic)-asshole cabbie swings his door open in front of me. Luckily I had time/room to maneuver into the other lane. And on several occasions this old guy in a saturn (same time every morn) would try to block me from splitting, learned to watch for him and avoid. Buddy of mine almost got taken out by a SUV-he was passing her and she swung out into the other lane (thinking she would block?) and sideswiped him, luckily he was able to keep it up. Watch out - keep those eyes peeled!

·
Registered
7 Posts
like others that have posted, i give low fives to any rider coming in the opposite direction. if they don't return the friendly gesture, i just play it off like i was having a hand cramp and shake my risk and then rest my hand on my knee. as if, "yeah" i wasn't waving a low five to begin with.

i have my share of run-ins a-hole cagers. there was this one time where i was riding down a long straight away in a residential area and believe it or not, mustang guy pulled up on a corner a block or two ahead wanting to make a right turn on the road i was on. so dude waited until i was near him and he jerked his car forward as if he was going to pull out in front of me, but he stopped as i manuvered around his pulled out car. as i went by, he and his friend has a good laugh. A-HOLES!!!

about a month or so ago, here in San Jose, CA, a cager was sentenced to 10 years of prison time as he ran down a biker in road rage.

yes, there is a lot of hates out there.

be safe!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.