Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not saying it's right...but I may have done the same thing. My bet is these guys wont try stealing a bike again.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/at-230-a-m-police-sergeant-shoots-man-outside-his-home/

Story here:

Off-Duty Policeman Shoots Man Stealing His Motorcycle, Police Say

An off-duty police sergeant shot a man who tried to steal his motorcycle in Brooklyn early Monday morning, the police said.

The sergeant was at home near the corner of Blake Avenue and Tapscott Street about 2:30 a.m. when he heard two people outside trying to steal the motorcycle from a fenced-in area, the police said.

After going outside to confront the men, the sergeant fired his weapon and struck one of the suspects once; the second suspect fled on foot and is still being sought, the police said. The circumstances leading up to the shooting are still under investigation, the police said.

The man, whose name was not immediately released, is in police custody at Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center. Charges are pending. More details, including the suspect’s name and the number of shots fired, are expected this afternoon.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I'm not saying it's right...but I may have done the same thing. My bet is these guys wont try stealing a bike again.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/at-230-a-m-police-sergeant-shoots-man-outside-his-home/

Story here:

Off-Duty Policeman Shoots Man Stealing His Motorcycle, Police Say

An off-duty police sergeant shot a man who tried to steal his motorcycle in Brooklyn early Monday morning, the police said.

The sergeant was at home near the corner of Blake Avenue and Tapscott Street about 2:30 a.m. when he heard two people outside trying to steal the motorcycle from a fenced-in area, the police said.

After going outside to confront the men, the sergeant fired his weapon and struck one of the suspects once; the second suspect fled on foot and is still being sought, the police said. The circumstances leading up to the shooting are still under investigation, the police said.

The man, whose name was not immediately released, is in police custody at Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center. Charges are pending. More details, including the suspect’s name and the number of shots fired, are expected this afternoon.
I would be fcukin amazed if the cop doesnt get sued, maybe even the department, but being that it happened at the cop's house, its kind of a tough call. In for the resolution....

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would be fcukin amazed if the cop doesnt get sued, maybe even the department, but being that it happened at the cop's house, its kind of a tough call. In for the resolution....
Sad but true.
Good for the cop though, idiot thief deserved to be shot.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tough call...I wouldn't just start bustin' shots out at these dudes. I would have given a warning first, and if I felt threatened go for the leg or something.

It's a horrible feeling to have something stolen from you though, and to see it happening is enough to make any person wanna go crazy.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Yeah, but you never know. It might have been some nutted up cop having a fight with his wife...sees a couple brothas out front checkin out his bike so he comes out bucking lead... Who knows, they guys could have just been checking it out because its sick.... Best not to shoot first. Not saying thats what happened here, but how would you feel if you and your buddy stopped to check out a pimped out bike parked in front of a house and next thing you know your buddy has a ventilated chest? Stranger shit happens every day.

·
EMT/FF/Rider
1,560 Posts
The cop should be alright, although I do not know NY law. Here in TX he would get off without any investigation based on the fact you can shoot anyone with reasonable cause who is trespassing on you property.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Yeah, but you never know. It might have been some nutted up cop having a fight with his wife...sees a couple brothas out front checkin out his bike so he comes out bucking lead... Who knows, they guys could have just been checking it out because its sick.... Best not to shoot first. Not saying thats what happened here, but how would you feel if you and your buddy stopped to check out a pimped out bike parked in front of a house and next thing you know your buddy has a ventilated chest? Stranger shit happens every day.
:werd

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
The cop should be alright, although I do not know NY law. Here in TX he would get off without any investigation based on the fact you can shoot anyone with reasonable cause who is trespassing on you property.
Shoot anyone, sure.... Get away with it... maybe not so much. You never know what the courts will do when it comes down to those funny little things we call civil rights....

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
In for more info. :popcorn:

·
my R6 tickles me.
465 Posts
The article states a "fenced off area" and quotes "trying to steal his motorcycle". I hardly think the cop just went gun crazy

ps. People dont usually go into someones yard at 2am to check out a sick bike unless they intend to steal it

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Says that he lived in a fenced in area, guys must be really dumb to hop a fence to someone's house to check out a bike. Also says that he "confront the men".

Agree with jackedup17, if I thought it was a sick bike I'd return in the morning and ask the owner to look at it, not go on someone's property at 2am in the morning in the dark.

·
Est. 10/21/93
639 Posts
Tough call...I wouldn't just start bustin' shots out at these dudes. I would have given a warning first, and if I felt threatened go for the leg or something.

It's a horrible feeling to have something stolen from you though, and to see it happening is enough to make any person wanna go crazy.
If your're gonna shoot someone you'd better shoot to kill, not the leg. A dead person can't sue you for everything you own.

·
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
867 Posts
IMO the cop shouldn't get charged but by law he had no reason to shoot him, you have to "feel threatened" to legally shoot somebody so he should've killed them both then said that they were threatening him

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
I don't think you can legally fire at someone without:
A) being in fear of your life
B) protecting the immediate life of others

1 - 20 of 52 Posts