Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi team, would the kind, mechanically inclined and well informed gentlemen please take a look at the photo of a conrod bearing from my 07 R6 and advice me if it requires to be swapped on an immediate basis?

Many thanks for viewing :)

Attachments

·
Go fast or die slow.
182 Posts
Hi team, would the kind, mechanically inclined and well informed gentlemen please take a look at the photo of a conrod bearing from my 07 R6 and advice me if it requires to be swapped on an immediate basis?

Many thanks for viewing :)
It's all good.. But since you have it apart already you need to replace your conrod bolts and nuts. And why not spend a few more bucks and replace the bearings while you're at it.

This one on the other hand is way past worn, was just a matter of time before it gave up the ghost. "Caused by a worn oil pump"

·
Go fast or die slow.
182 Posts
What kinda mileage or use did that happen at? The stock one is kinda pricey.
Not sure about how many miles, but it's been used for racing.
I bought the bike in 2011 and it's a 08, and afaik it had only been used for 2 seasons. So i'd say less then 5000 miles.

It most likely the engine has had a hole in on of the covers and then some sand has made its way to the oil pump and scared it. Causing lower then normal oil pressure.

The conrods bearings, bolts and nuts are around 80$
Oilpump around 180$

The oilpump price isnt that bad, its all the other things that fails when it craps out that is expensive

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
a 2006-07 needs one SMALLER sized (color) bearing used. Period. So order new ones, 1 color smaller than the numbers for your crank and cases indicate are required. You must still plastigauge to ensure proper clearances, but this is a mandatory change for the 06-07. Any dealer was informed to do this if doing service work on this model/years, but it was NOT a recall (should have been perhaps).

Don't ever let the bike idle, lightly blip 30min before you go on track to let heat soak through the engine in the morning, use Silkolene pro4 oil, and you will get a good 1-2 seasons of racing out of the low end before needing to replace bearings again.
As someone mentioned earlier, replace the con rod bolts/nuts at LEAST every other build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts