Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) What smells are natural for a bike? I know im basiacly sitting on an engine but everyonce i smell something and get worried.

2) Im about to take my bike home (15 hrs) in the back of my truck. What is the best way to tie it down? Any instructions etc?

3) After a pretty good ride i pulled in and killed the bike but left the key in and the fan kicked on about a minute later. But of course died when i took the key out. Does this mean i need to leave the key in and let it cool?
Thanks guys apperciate it.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
1. smell...as long as it doesn't smell like ass your ok!
i love the smell of exhaust(freaky) but it actually smells sweet to me.

2.) canyon dancers and tie downs are a must...

3. like a car turn it off, and walk away...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
+2 :d

·
Registered
710 Posts
1) If you have a girl on the back and it starts smelling fishy, that's a no-no. Other than that, anything that smells burnt usually isn't a good thing on any motor vehicle.

2) Make sure to secure the front forks and the rear tire, some dealerships have special tie downs for the front that protect the bike from getting scratched by the tie downs. Also make sure that if it's a 15 hour drive, don't compress the forks too much, and loosen them off when you stop, but remember to tighten them back up before you get going again. The rear tire should be secured to both sides of the truck bed to make sure the bike doesn't start slipping side to side.

3) The fan is used to cool down the coolant in the cooling system, and once the motor is turned off the cooling system stops pumping, so the fan is doing nothing for the engine in terms of cooling, and it's really not necessarily to do that to your coolant.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Yeah like they said... Canyon Dancer. A soft but STURDY piece that goes over your triples and around your grips... that IS essential.

The only think I would like to clear up is... Fasten the front of your bike pretty tight, (not so tight that you bottom out your forks though) and like they said, when you stop for a break, loosen the straps up for a little while, and remember to tighten them before you go again. As for the rear. I have gone on a few trips here lately and NEVER tied down the back tire. I just keep and eye on it whilest driving, it if looks like it's starting to step out to one side or the other, when you stop for a break... just kick that bytch back to the center and make it straight. No biggie.

Good luck with your trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts