790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
52,014 Posts
Yes, and yes (upshifts)...

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blipping when downshifting - is this something one can learn to do when bike is on a stand (pit bull type)?

52,014 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it... besides the obvious safety issue, there is no load to the rear wheel and you won't have the same feel as when the bike is actually moving.

·
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK !!!
550 Posts
When you do clutchless upshifts you should let off the throttle slightly and at the same time shift and thats it no blips.

52,014 Posts
When you do clutchless upshifts you should let off the throttle slightly and at the same time shift and thats it no blips.
He is referring to blips during DOWNSHIFTING

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
It is considered good practice to BLIPP the throttle while downshifting. I do It now without even thinking about it. The trickier part is downshiffting while on the brakes and still blipping the throttle. Again it is second nature to me now. And with a little practice anyone can get the technique down. As far as the clutchless upshift thing. There is a lot of debate on whether it is GOOD for the tranny and what not. I feel that it unecessary for the street rider to be doing it. It does help roll in faster times on the track. It takes very little practice or technique to do. Just preload the shiffter while on the gas ( preloading is pulling up on the shifter with you'r foot ). After you have preloaded the shifter and still applying pressure ( not much either ) you let off the gas a little and the bike will shift. You cannot do this for downshifting. Well actually you can but you won't have fun with the results, so don't do it. I only do clutchless upshifting at the track. hope this helps.

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could anyone spec out the step by step for proper downshifting (with blipping i mean)... also in which scenarious would u do it... to accelerate (some accelarate in lower gears) or to slow down....
thnx

·
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK !!!
550 Posts
On the street you probably shouldn't do it, but if you have to just give alittle gas while down shifting to the next gear or if you are going to skip a couple gears then you should blip for each time you hit the shifter. The main point to give it a blip is to keep the back tire from chattering when you are hauling ass and are coming to a corner that calls for a much slower speed, to help keep control. But for the street it just sounds cool, it may also be better for you clutch because if your engine is just at a idle you really don't want to bring the rpm's up to a much higher rpm just by releasing the clutch.

·
Dont do it....ok, do it
77 Posts
All your trying to do is match engine speed to the speed of the rear wheel. When you get squirley (besides cold tires and road conditions)its cuz your engine speed is different than your rear wheel. So blipping the throttle brings up the RPM's, matches your rear wheel and you start to decelerate. Doing it correctly, you really shouldnt notice any chatter or anything to upset the rear wheel. Practice that, than brake while blipping the throttle. Same technique, just apply some front brake pressure.

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
could anyone spec out the step by step for proper downshifting (with blipping i mean)... also in which scenarious would u do it... to accelerate (some accelarate in lower gears) or to slow down....
thnx
Someone may have said it already but blipping the throttle basically takes away the amount of engine braking/compression to allow smooth deceleration. Some riders also call it rev matching. Clutch less up shifting has many benefits but only if you do it correctly (don’t try to time it). Make sure you preload the shifter or it will not be smooth. After you master the technique, you will not feel any pain in your left wrist from long rides or heavy traffic and you will not be tempted to put the bike into neutral at the light due to a sore wrist. Up shifts are actually much smoother as well. Here are two good articles:

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0402_shift_blip_throttle/index.html

Couldn’t fine the one on clutch less up shifts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
hell yeah. at first i just wanted to learn to do it just to see if i liked it. sometimes under braking/blipping, i used to accidently hold the throttle open just a little and it would screw up my stopping. but now it's second nature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to blip the throttle on my old cbr600f3 it helps for smoother downshifts if done properly. When I start riding my r6 (snow is such an annoyance!) I will get back into the habit of blipin the throttle on down shifts.
My only advice that i can give that helped me was to do it in maybe a parking lot,or on a street where no cars are to familiarize yourself with the method. Also NEVER do it while your leaned over in a turn ..always do your downshifting and of course braking while your upright approaching your turn(s) otherwise you can risk upsetting the bike and thats not good !..hope this helps everyone else covered everything else that needs to be said .

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
The part that's hard is blip+brake. Takes a while to learn how to blip and not apply additional brake force. For me the motion almost starts in the shoulder, sort of blip with your entire arm and keep hand / brake force the same. You don't have to match RPM exactly, clutch will smooth it out. Slipper type clutch will help as well, I see people get new bikes and just get lazy :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
On the street you probably shouldn't do it...

... But for the street it just sounds cool
Actually, I disagree. I think it's a bad habit to simply pull in the clutch, coast to a traffic light while kicking down to first or neutral at the same time. (This may not be what you're advocating, I know - but I believe this technique (front brake + blip) is effective for safe street riding)

When approaching a stoplight, I downshift through the gears as I'm approaching the light for the following reasons.
  1. If needed, my bike will be in gear and nearer its power band should I need to quickly accelerate.
  2. If the light changes before I've completely stopped, my bike is already in the necessary gear to begin moving.
  3. Blipping the throttle makes for smoother, safer downshifts
The reason I'm training myself in the art of front brake + throttle blip while downshifting is so I can activate my brakelights to warn vehicles behind me that I'm slowing down. Additionally, I always cover my front brake in case of a required emergency stop...

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
I don't "blip" so much as maintain revs while downshifting, then release the clutch a little slower rather than just "dumping" it. It keeps things nice and smooth while keeping me in gear if I suddenly need to start going again. It works well enough for me around town and at the track.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Jason Pridmore's STAR Racing School preaches AGAINST blipping! He say's the pro's only blip in the instance they make a mistake and have to downshift quickly...

I used to blip, not any more.

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
Jason Pridmore's STAR Racing School preaches AGAINST blipping! He say's the pro's only blip in the instance they make a mistake and have to downshift quickly...

I used to blip, not any more.
Yup, some racers blip and some slip the clutch, which is what a lot of us do. I think Aaron Yates slips the clutch as well. If you watch racing you can easily see who blips and who slips. This may be why Yates backs it in so much. Hard on the brakes, a few down shifts, then letting out the clutch without rev matching and the rear slightly kicks out. If you watch the guys that rev match Like Mladin and others, they rarely get out of shape under hard braking. However, you can make both work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts