Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I sync'ed my throttle bodies with a home made manometer filled with motor oil and ended up having cylinder #2 lacking vacuum. Having not read the service manual clearly, I adjusted all the screws including #3 to level out the oil. Ever since I adjusted the screws the bike never ran the same. It always sounded like the bike is in the beginning of the power band where the engine starts to sound different before pep'ing up. After adjusting the screws more than a few times with no results, I got fed up. I went to Princess Auto and bought 4 vacuum gauges. Then to HomeDepo for ball valves and fittings. I got the bike up to running temp, closed all the set screws, closed the ball valves slowly to get rid of the needle hop, and re adjusted as per the specs of what the vacuum pressure should be at idle. Finally the bike runs good again. However, when I put the manometer back on the bike, #1, #3, #4, build normal pressure and #2 falls. I looked for any signs of vacuum leaks which I couldn't find. I'm going to assume that this means one of my valves are not seating properly on the closed compressionn stroke. Hense the shop manual telling you to make sure your valves are properly adjusted before tb sync. The bike is at 40,000km which is just before the 42000km valve service interval. I hope anyone else who has adjusted their #3 screw and haven't been able to get the bike running normal again, can take something from this thread. It was very frustrating driving the bike after I made the adjustments initally with the manometer. Now that each tb is synced on the vacuum dials, the bike runs amazing! I'm just curious as to why my #2 cylinder is dropping in vacuum compared to the rest only on the manometer.

PS. My first manometer did not have a level line across it when the bike was off. I was really just syncing the tb's to an imaginary line. Without calculating the specific gravity of the motor oil and all that math, you cannot accuratly sync your throttle bodies to the correct pressure(if you moved #3 screw). Now that I look at it with the tb's properly synced and a level line as to where the oil was before the bike is running, I can now see there is an issure with cyl 2.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts