Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike in question is a 05 R6, whenever I turn the handlebars, the throttle will stick and it feels very rough when I try to turn it back, but only when I turn the bars all the way to one side. When the bars are straight, the throttle snaps back as usual. I noticed there was a small cut on the plastic surrounding the cable that pulls back to idle. Do I need to replace the throttle cables completely or should I try and lube it? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
360 Posts
i think u answered ur own question actually lol... try and lube, if not then replace

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
readjust your cable... start at the straight position, then check at full left, and again at full right. also, lube those bad boys.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
If the cable is damaged, replace it. It sounds like it s bound up to me due to incorrect routing, that or it is toast and should have been replaced long ago. You don't roll the dice on a stuck throttle, that can very easily cost you your life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I have a feeling I will need to replace these b/c when I got the bike the cables were routed underneath the main fairing stay, most likely the last owner routed them the wrong way. I corrected it in hopes of having em not stick, but meh.

Anyways, Ive got a new throttle cable coming in, how difficult is it to change it out? Just loosen the throttle side and then open up the right hand controls to remove the cables?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I have a feeling I will need to replace these b/c when I got the bike the cables were routed underneath the main fairing stay, most likely the last owner routed them the wrong way. I corrected it in hopes of having em not stick, but meh.

Anyways, Ive got a new throttle cable coming in, how difficult is it to change it out? Just loosen the throttle side and then open up the right hand controls to remove the cables?
if you check the routing, you may have em wrong yourself. Binding only when the bars are turned in one direction means you are close to having em right, but not perfect. I'm not saying to not replace em, cause I replaced mine just because I wanted to know they wouldn't fail me randomly

Not sure what year yours is, but the link in my sig has a pic of the twist throttle opened up to get the wires out. Then on the TB's or carbs, they attach there. One pushes and one pulls. It's just a pain in the ass trying to get em adjusted really nicely (no play, but not holding throttle open when no hand on the grip).

If your bike is newer and fuel injected, you may run into issues with the TPS needing to be adjusted afterwards for whatever reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 adjust your cable. Just ran into the exact same problem after having my engine apart. I loosened the slack on the cable and it fixed my problem, worth a try.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the cables today, the one that was pulling back had a cut in the plastic and it looked like the cable inside was rusted pretty bad. The replacement cables I got were from a used bike, luckily the one one I needed was in good shape, the other one looked like it was about to snap. It was a pain getting em set up right, but I got em on and lubed it, no more sticking. I think the hardest part was actually routing the cables to the throttle itself lol

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
What type of lube did you use? I'm thinking about cleaning my cables but don't know what to use.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
What type of lube did you use? I'm thinking about cleaning my cables but don't know what to use.
They have cable lube out there, but TriFlow works really good too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts