Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night on my way home from work, I left the parking lot and started to slow down to turn, let off the throttle and pulled in the clutch and my rpms jumped up to like 4K. I was coasting in first gear at 19 mph. It's not a whole lot but definetly not normal. I forced the throttle to full closed and I felt a little pop or grinding maybe and everything went to normal. I rode the rest of the way home and back and forth to work today (about 45 minutes total stop and go) and I haven't had any more trouble. I was just wondering what this could have been and if I should worry about it sticking at say 60. Thanks for all the help in advance. oh it is an 03 by the way with stock grips.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Try lubing the throttle cable, and make sure it's not binding anywhere. I had my throttle stick open on the track once coming off a back straight, not fun!

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
The cable may have jumped, or perhaps the grip has rode up onto the throttle housing? in either case you should double check that the throttle is clean and clear. Some lube theirs and other like me don't.

By don't lube the throttle I mean that I will clean the inside of the throttle tube and the clip on. This will leave a very nice feel that will also allow the throttle to SNAP when you let it go. The downside is that the clip on and the tube will not last as long.

When you lube the throttle tube and clip on over time it will gunk up and get sticky. It also always has a slight resistance. When it gets gunky it can lead to sticking, or make the throttle application harder. It is nice tough because it will allow the throttle tube and the clip on to last longer.

In either case you should check it out! It could be nothing, or it could be something. I would suggest not using any lube. Definitely get in there and clean everything up. You will see that without lube it snaps much easier than before. There is nothing like a throttle that opens easily and literally snaps shut as soon as you let it go.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took everything apart and it had a good bit of dust and what not built up, I cleaned everything and it does seem to snap back a little better than before. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts