Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wondering if anyone is gonna make it to the Thunderhill track in northern cali (willows) on )ct 6, 2007. My brother and I are going to be their and we were wondering if anyone from this forum is going to show up. Also this is our first time riding at thunderhill because we recently moved from san diego to Lodi, ca . I have really only ridden the southern california tracks ( fontana (both infield and big track, willow springs (both big willow and the streets of willow, and buttonwillow), Im wondering how thunderhill is going to stack up against other tracks. I hear its really big and has nice rfacilities. Anyway, hope to see some of you out there!! :toocool:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thill is ****ing awesome! its the only track i go to because laguna and infineon are too expensive and dont work with my schedule, the track is so ****ing smooth, its wide and theres plenty of run off if something happens. ive been able to save it twice. its a pretty fast track and has a nice flow to it. so cal tracks suck....youll love our nor cal tracks. i wish i could go but im done for the season...moving in oct and ill need a new set of tires if i do. whos it with? Keigwins also puts on a pretty good event i just wont ride with them anymore because i bought a 2 day ticket and crashed the 1st lap of the 1st day and Lance wouldnt help me out with a refund or anything and usually hes good about things like that

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, running with keigwins, hoping the track has some low mph turns, i like the tight stuff, anyway, thanx for the info, im really looking forward to the track day. any other info about thunderhill would be appreciated. Thanx

·
I like ice cream!
1,350 Posts
Well I'll be there for the first time on October 2nd and 3rd with PSSR. I've heard nothing but great things about the track. I'll try to get a review up in time for your day on the 6th.

·
Registered
695 Posts
R6ravenrider said:
yep, running with keigwins, hoping the track has some low mph turns, i like the tight stuff, anyway, thanx for the info, im really looking forward to the track day. any other info about thunderhill would be appreciated. Thanx
theres only 2 tight turns, T5 and T11. your line is definitely more important than your speed cuz your not gonna drop any time there so dont even try. T5 aka "the Cyclone" will bite hard if you take the wrong line...a lot of crashes happen for 1st timers there. T11 is also a slow late entrance turn and if you dont take the right line youll drift wide and mess up your lines through the esses and your drive down the back straight. if you want a tight technical track id suggest infineon.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you kyle r6, i really appreciate the feedback, i've been studying the track and I think its gonna be awesome, if i have any questions i will definitely ask. thanx

·
Registered
204 Posts
enjoy t-hill! its really fun, srry tho its totally different from tracks like infineon. its mostly corners connected by straightaways(unlike infineon where corners are connected to corners.) oh yeah, and putting your knee down on turn 8 is going to blow your god damn mind. :nocontrol

·
Registered
215 Posts
thill and keigwins just ****n awesome!

·
Registered
695 Posts
rozero1234 said:
oh yeah, and putting your knee down on turn 8 is going to blow your god damn mind. :nocontrol
**** yea but alot of ppl dont realize how fast that corner is or the fact that its the fastest turn on the track so they take it alot slower than they should

·
I like ice cream!
1,350 Posts
Track report:

I just got home from Thill w/ PSSR Oct 2-3. Great facility with an excellent staff. A good pit spot is the south end of the overhead steel paddock, where the power is located at. 2.86 miles and 15 corners of fun!! Lots of elevation change.

Here's a few fresh pointers from my stock geared R6. The whole track is taken in 3-4 gear, with the exception being turn 11 where you downshift to 2nd. Turn 1 is very fast up the hill. Do not be afraid of the off camber corners, take the best line and ride them out. Turns 6-7-8 are a great combo! They say you can take the set at full throttle haha I'm still working on that one. Turn 11 is tough, and this sets up the entire drive down the back straight. 2nd gear into the corner with a very late apex, then shoot the gap between 12 and 13. Late apex 14 (very important!) for the drive out of 15 to the front straight.

I like numbers so my best lap times at the end of the first day were consistent 2:26 - 2:27. On the 2nd day, last session minimal traffic consistent 2:20 -2:21, which is a huge improvement for me.

That's my story your results may vary. It was so much fun I'll be back next month for another 2 day session. Get out there and have fun!! :YEA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts